“A little hard to find but worth it”

Best Western Plus Boulder Inn
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Best Western in Boulder, Colorado is a very comfortable hotel. The rooms are large and mine had a great view of the Flatirons. Once I figured out how to find the place, it was quite convenient although I did have to drive about any place I wanted to go. Since Boulder is a relatively small town, this isn't a problem.

Bed linens are nice, pillows are good and the room decor is nice. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The guys at the front desk gave me two terrific suggestions for dinner. The hotel offers breakfast and it is a cut above the usual thing. There was always fresh fruit, bagels, toast, pastries, scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausages, cereals, juice and coffee.

I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Boulder.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Hi laurgam,

Thank you for sharing your extraordinary experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are so happy that we exceeded your expectations.

I’m happy to hear that the staff gave you two terrific suggestions for dinner. I would love to hear which restaurants they recommended. Boulder was named the “Foodiest town in America” by Bon Appétit magazine. There are so many great places within walking distance of the hotel, and they keep building new ones all the time.

If your travels bring you back through Boulder, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to help facilitate your reservation. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booked a smoking room, says so right on the receipt, and was told there are no smoking rooms in Boulder, but located one at a better hotel. This is a mediocre hotel with good cleaning service, a nice breakfast, some unfriendly management / security staff, and poor insulation between floors. Baseline: I spent over 50 days of the last year in hotels. I don't value dishonesty and excuses ("the online booking will tell you anything just to get you here.") If you are looking for reasonable, family friendly and don't smoke or care about noise, go for it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hi John M,

I understand how much you value smoking. Unfortunately the Boulder Inn is a 100% non-smoking property. Providing the cleanest, freshest room to our customers is so important to us that we levy a fine of $300 for individuals who smoke in our rooms. We are proud of the product we offer, and will continue to diligently pursue cleanliness, regardless of any challenges that may arise.

It appears as though you purchased a non-smoking room through Expedia, and then “requested” it to be a smoking room. Through Expedia’s website, you could in theory “request” a smoking room at any hotel in the world; regardless of the hotel’s policies.

On Expedia’s listing of The Boulder Inn, they describe our hotel as a “Smoke-free property”. It is on the front page. If you need help locating this, please let me know. I am happy to help.

Had you purchased your hotel room directly from the Boulder Inn, the information on our website, or from our reservation agents would clearly indicate our hotel is 100% non-smoking.

Although third parties can be useful tools to shop all the hotels in a city at once, ultimately, accurate information and best prices will always be acquired directly from the hotel. I suggest that in the future, you rely on information from a hotel, rather than information from a third party. This will hopefully alleviate any future frustration.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had to go to Boulder, CO for business; at the last minute I booked at Best Western with Ryan, the general manager. He was very courteous and efficient. Unfortunately, the room next to me was too noisy and I couldn't sleep. Although the noise was not the Inn's fault, they gave me a discount and allowed me to move to a quiet, upgraded room. Jackie, Malcolm, and Stephanie at the front desk are the best! They are super friendly and always ready to help -- e.g. the printer was working, but they helped me to figure out the problem.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hi guax

Thank you for calling attention to the names of employees that helped you during your stay. Your positive reinforcement is validation for all of their hard work. The people who work here are the backbone of the business, and the driving force behind our success.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I love this hotel and stay here every time I visit Boulder. It's affordable and in a great location - easy access to everywhere I want to go. Staff is friendly, rooms are SUPER clean and full of amenities, and the pool and hot tub are great. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Melissa S

Our housekeepers utilize ultraviolet sterilization wands for use on highly touched areas such as telephones, bathroom fixtures and light switches. UV black lights are then used during housekeeping inspections to make sure that every last detail is perfect. The fact that you noticed the result of our extra cleanliness effort is very rewarding.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This place has a retro feel yet great amenity upgrades like make-up mirrors, nice soap dishes and any toiletry item you can think of. Staff was very friendly. Excellent coffee served with a great complementary breakfast. Nice pool area and grounds. Great location near the campus, shopping, and brewpubs.
Use "Blue Highway" 119 through Nederland!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Hi BlueHighwayBoomers,

We recently finished a major remodel, and I’m glad that you enjoyed everything we have done. I’m also glad that you were able to take advantage of the local brewpubs. Boulder is home to the first microbrewery in Colorado, as well as countless other fantastic breweries.

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experiences.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Our second stay there, first was before the new "facelift". So this one was better, the rooms are nicer but for a few dollars more they could have made it real nice. Considering the room rates for the area it's still a good value. The new breakfast room is very nice, great selection and well cared for. Attendants on duty making sure the selections are good and room stays clean.
The new lobby is really nice but we don't stay in the lobby and would rather they spent the money for new sinks, faucets and carpeting in the rooms. I know all the hotels do the same thing, they must make a good impression for people walking in.
I hope the management reads this, I have a couple of suggestions!
Tell your housekeeping staff that one small bar of bath soap is not enough for two people for four nights. And you should buy the Kleenix that changes colors of tissues when the box is nearing empty because they NEVER check it. Also I think that a room should be vacuumed every day, not just when the guest has checked out. And I even leave a tip every day we are there! And replace the remotes, great size TV's but the remotes are worn out! We mentioned it but nothing was done about it. A friend of ours was staying there and she had the same problem. Her's was not replaced either. But the beds are very comfortable. No issues there.
It is a good bang for the buck but will probably pay a few dollars more next time and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are probably in better condition as they don't get rented as much because the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hi Jim D,

We are excited that you stayed with us both before, and after our recent remodel. Our new lobby has a beautiful fireplace, exquisite white oak flooring, as well as two 27 inch iMacs for our customers to use. Thank you for your feedback on the rooms. We will definitely take it into account.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is a decent, clean, and friendly hotel/motel. However, Expedia advertises in the picture section that it has at least one restaurant and a very nice gym. It has neither. I am a frequent business traveler and have always relied on the pictures posted on Expedia to evaluate a hotel. I have not been mislead until this one! SO, please note that these things are not on site if they are important to you.

Again, staff was very friendly, and it was a clean hotel/motel. But, I thought people should know that if they are looking at the professional photos on Expedia's site, they are guilty of false advertising.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Hi ls_losfeliz,

Thank you for your kind words noting both the cleanliness and friendliness of the hotel.

I’m sorry to hear of your frustration with Expedia. I will contact their organization in an attempt to fix their inaccuracies, but we do not have absolute control over the information that third parties presents to their clientele. For the most accurate information, I always recommend visiting a hotel’s proprietary website.