“Doesn't quite live up to online pics, but still nice.”

Best Western Plus Boulder Inn
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

My son and I were very excited to stay here. From the pics online, everything looked brand new!
It is definitely an older hotel that has been remodeled, which is just fine- they've done a great job.
The staff was very nice- we arrived early and they did their best to make us comfortable (not easy as we had a 20-month old with us at the time of check in).
And in Boulder, it's really no trouble to find something to do!
The location is on a frontage street along Hwy 36/ 28th Street. Can be tricky getting in and out, but not what I would consider an issue.
The great thing about the location is that you can walk to CU.
Also close by is the new 29th Street Mall.

• Stayed: June 2013
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hi KaiyaMarie,

In the past few years we have dedicated close to 1 million dollars into property improvements. You mentioned that we did a great job on the remodel. Your words are so encouraging, and bring such validation. It sounds as though you were visiting the University of Colorado, directly across the street. I’m glad that you found the location so convenient. CU is one of the most beautiful college campuses in the United States. Ivy covered historic buildings, beautiful ponds, and soaring views of the mountains. Even if you are not here to visit the university, it is a wonderful place to explore.

If your travels bring you back through Boulder, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to help facilitate your reservation. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Boulder Inn

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was attending a conference in Bloomfield and couldn't get into the conference hotel. This hotel was a good option at a deal price of ~120 USD. Normal rates is USD 190, which is a little high considering the quality.
Nice pool and hot tub

Room Tip: Second floor are better. Quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Hi LuisAbdon,

I see that you have hundreds of contributions on Trip Advisor, and we are honored that you rated us so high.

The Boulder Inn hosts conference attendees and business professionals from NOAA, NIST, NCAR, and the University of Colorado. Occasionally we also host attendees from Broomfield and Boulder’s other outlying cities. Our business class accommodations, free high speed internet, and complimentary hot breakfast have earned us a reputation with local meeting planners. It sounds as though we have earned your repeat business as well.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place is close to campus and dining- walked almost entire stay. Very plain exterior and some light lobby construction ongoing but the rooms are immaculate. staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. Pool and hot tub were extremely clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words, and for calling attention to positive attributes of the hotel. I’m glad you had a chance to try out some of the 30 restaurants within a half mile radius of the hotel. We have had some new ones open recently, and they are such a welcomed addition to the neighborhood. I recommend the sweet pork burrito at Café Mexicali.

Also, thank you for noting our high level of cleanliness. Our cleaning regimen involves systematically stripping a room of all furniture and amenities, and giving it a “deep clean”. A total of 5 staff members are involved in this process for each room. Afterwards, the furniture and amenities are replaced, and the room looks, feels, and smells like it is brand new. We have pledged to go above and beyond, in order to take our level of cleanliness to the next level.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is not bad. It's a fairly typical Best Western - decent accommodations, clean, nothing fancy but nothing horrible. The staff here is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. My room was on the top floor in the back and it was quiet.

I did like the fact that I could opt out of housekeeping (with a door hanger) each day if it wasn't necessary.

There is no towel rack or hook in the sink area, which is just a small annoyance. I had difficulty with hot water -- my first morning, the water went from hot to cold constantly. I reported it, and for the remainder of the week, the water temperature fluctuated but never got all the way to cold again. It did save water as I took very quick showers.

They serve a hot breakfast -- the first day it was great, with scrambled eggs and bacon. The second day, it was hard boiled eggs and the most unappetizing sausage patties I've ever seen. But there is a waffle maker and yogurt and breakfast breads and cereal, so there's always something edible.

Again, not a bad hotel and I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back on the top floor seem to be the quietest.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hi RandiGAurora,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. Thank you for noting the top tier level of cleanliness. Everyone in our housekeeping department, from the managers down, go through extensive training. We are also fortunate to have seasoned professionals guiding the staff. Our goal is to have the highest level of cleanliness in the marketplace. From your review, it sounds as though we are succeeding.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

For the price point, this place was less than sufficient. We stayed here after a bout of bad planning (and complete ignorance) thinking that we were getting a better deal for the pricing. We pull up and it resembles a motel...we go to the "lobby," as directed by paper signs to find that it is in a small and awkward location. Our room also must have been a smoking room (pre-renovation) since it smelled like cigarettes. After having to drown a spider in the bathtub, we discovered that the drain was on the fritz. The AC was on as high as possible, yet the room never totally cooled down.

The breakfast was pretty good, however we watched an awkward altercation between the cook a guest asking for eggs because of diet needs. She wasn't happy about it, so she brought a pan of eggs out for him to eat off of.

Last but not least, I think I will hire whoever did the photography for this hotel's PR, since they made it look like a resort for us ignorant out-of-towners.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Ellekerby
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Hi Ellekerby,

I’m sorry to hear that your perceived view of the product you purchased did not meet your price expectations. I have experienced this before, and I understand how hard it can be. It is our number one goal to constantly exceed customer expectations, and it is exceptionally frustrating to hear we failed to meet yours. The Boulder Inn is a AAA 3 diamond hotel, and our prices are extremely competitive compared with other similarly rated hotels in Boulder. We have received the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for the last two years, and have recently been awarded as one of the top Best Westerns in North America. On a nightly average, 42% of our visitors are repeat guests. I believe all of this says a great deal about the hotel and staff.

I love this city, and it is important to me that every visitor to the town has an exceptional experience. If your travels bring you back to Boulder, we would appreciate it if you would give us a second chance. If not, and you would like recommendations for an alternate hotel, I would be happy to help with that as well. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip to Boulder. It's not a large or fancy property - but with adequate amenities like breakfast and swimming pool . Rooms are clean, fresh and all necessary in-room stuffs available inside the room. Good part is that every room has a balcony/sit-out with chairs to relax.

What I liked the most is the great hospitality of their front office staff with excellent experience from check-in thru check-out, and Free bike rentals. With well laid bike trails all over Boulder, free bike rental was a pleasant surpise. I loved the bike ride as much I did like their staff's caring attitude.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 456CRS
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Hi 456CRS,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the Trip Advisor community. I’m glad that your business trip was successful. We cater to business executives from NIST, NOAA, NCAR, CU, and a variety of local businesses. I’m glad to hear that the property lived up to your high expectations.

We rolled out our free bike rental program a few years ago, and the response has been overwhelming. I am thrilled to hear that you took advantage of it. Boulder is one of the most bike friendly cities in the US, and I believe it is the best method of exploring the town.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Came back to Boulder looking for a nice stay. Best Western isn't awful, but for the price I would have expected more. Room was ok, but the bathroom light takes 5 minutes to brighten, no towel racks by sink, fridge does not really cool, and sink faucet was loose. Beds were comfortable. Outside looks dated and there is no lounge to hang out. Door into the building takes a code but I spent 10 minutes before calling my family to open the door. Breakfast was average; good if you like all your food sweet. For health-conscious Boulder, ther was really nothing healthy or without artificial sugar, except for the apples.

On the bright side, staff was excellent; very friendly and more than willing to help. And hotel is in an excellent location, just a block from campus. Overall, it was not a bad stay, just felt like I would have gotten more for the money. But it IS Boulder,
so I guess that is what you can expect for the rate charged.

We ended up moving down the road to Broomfield/Westminster where the prices are less and you get a lot more for the money.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Hi smtcpa,

Thank you for your positive comments on the friendly staff. Due to your feedback on the towel racks, we are currently exploring the option.

The Boulder Inn is a AAA 3 diamond hotel, and our prices are quite competitive compared with other similarly rated hotels in Boulder. The City of Boulder is an absolutely world class destination. It has been recently named: America's Foodiest Town - Bon Appetit 2010, 20 Best Vacation Destinations – Frommers 2012, 10 Great College Towns - US News & World Report 2011, 10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Kiplinger's 2010….. The list goes on and on. I understand if price is the driving factor in your decision making process, sacrificing location is always an understandable option.

Ari Rubin