“Gem in convenient location”

Best Western Plus Boulder Inn
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place is close to campus and dining- walked almost entire stay. Very plain exterior and some light lobby construction ongoing but the rooms are immaculate. staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. Pool and hot tub were extremely clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words, and for calling attention to positive attributes of the hotel. I’m glad you had a chance to try out some of the 30 restaurants within a half mile radius of the hotel. We have had some new ones open recently, and they are such a welcomed addition to the neighborhood. I recommend the sweet pork burrito at Café Mexicali.

Also, thank you for noting our high level of cleanliness. Our cleaning regimen involves systematically stripping a room of all furniture and amenities, and giving it a “deep clean”. A total of 5 staff members are involved in this process for each room. Afterwards, the furniture and amenities are replaced, and the room looks, feels, and smells like it is brand new. We have pledged to go above and beyond, in order to take our level of cleanliness to the next level.

If your travels bring you back through Boulder, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to help facilitate your reservation. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is not bad. It's a fairly typical Best Western - decent accommodations, clean, nothing fancy but nothing horrible. The staff here is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. My room was on the top floor in the back and it was quiet.

I did like the fact that I could opt out of housekeeping (with a door hanger) each day if it wasn't necessary.

There is no towel rack or hook in the sink area, which is just a small annoyance. I had difficulty with hot water -- my first morning, the water went from hot to cold constantly. I reported it, and for the remainder of the week, the water temperature fluctuated but never got all the way to cold again. It did save water as I took very quick showers.

They serve a hot breakfast -- the first day it was great, with scrambled eggs and bacon. The second day, it was hard boiled eggs and the most unappetizing sausage patties I've ever seen. But there is a waffle maker and yogurt and breakfast breads and cereal, so there's always something edible.

Again, not a bad hotel and I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back on the top floor seem to be the quietest.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hi RandiGAurora,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. Thank you for noting the top tier level of cleanliness. Everyone in our housekeeping department, from the managers down, go through extensive training. We are also fortunate to have seasoned professionals guiding the staff. Our goal is to have the highest level of cleanliness in the marketplace. From your review, it sounds as though we are succeeding.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

For the price point, this place was less than sufficient. We stayed here after a bout of bad planning (and complete ignorance) thinking that we were getting a better deal for the pricing. We pull up and it resembles a motel...we go to the "lobby," as directed by paper signs to find that it is in a small and awkward location. Our room also must have been a smoking room (pre-renovation) since it smelled like cigarettes. After having to drown a spider in the bathtub, we discovered that the drain was on the fritz. The AC was on as high as possible, yet the room never totally cooled down.

The breakfast was pretty good, however we watched an awkward altercation between the cook a guest asking for eggs because of diet needs. She wasn't happy about it, so she brought a pan of eggs out for him to eat off of.

Last but not least, I think I will hire whoever did the photography for this hotel's PR, since they made it look like a resort for us ignorant out-of-towners.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Ellekerby
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Hi Ellekerby,

I’m sorry to hear that your perceived view of the product you purchased did not meet your price expectations. I have experienced this before, and I understand how hard it can be. It is our number one goal to constantly exceed customer expectations, and it is exceptionally frustrating to hear we failed to meet yours. The Boulder Inn is a AAA 3 diamond hotel, and our prices are extremely competitive compared with other similarly rated hotels in Boulder. We have received the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for the last two years, and have recently been awarded as one of the top Best Westerns in North America. On a nightly average, 42% of our visitors are repeat guests. I believe all of this says a great deal about the hotel and staff.

I love this city, and it is important to me that every visitor to the town has an exceptional experience. If your travels bring you back to Boulder, we would appreciate it if you would give us a second chance. If not, and you would like recommendations for an alternate hotel, I would be happy to help with that as well. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip to Boulder. It's not a large or fancy property - but with adequate amenities like breakfast and swimming pool . Rooms are clean, fresh and all necessary in-room stuffs available inside the room. Good part is that every room has a balcony/sit-out with chairs to relax.

What I liked the most is the great hospitality of their front office staff with excellent experience from check-in thru check-out, and Free bike rentals. With well laid bike trails all over Boulder, free bike rental was a pleasant surpise. I loved the bike ride as much I did like their staff's caring attitude.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 456CRS
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Hi 456CRS,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the Trip Advisor community. I’m glad that your business trip was successful. We cater to business executives from NIST, NOAA, NCAR, CU, and a variety of local businesses. I’m glad to hear that the property lived up to your high expectations.

We rolled out our free bike rental program a few years ago, and the response has been overwhelming. I am thrilled to hear that you took advantage of it. Boulder is one of the most bike friendly cities in the US, and I believe it is the best method of exploring the town.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Came back to Boulder looking for a nice stay. Best Western isn't awful, but for the price I would have expected more. Room was ok, but the bathroom light takes 5 minutes to brighten, no towel racks by sink, fridge does not really cool, and sink faucet was loose. Beds were comfortable. Outside looks dated and there is no lounge to hang out. Door into the building takes a code but I spent 10 minutes before calling my family to open the door. Breakfast was average; good if you like all your food sweet. For health-conscious Boulder, ther was really nothing healthy or without artificial sugar, except for the apples.

On the bright side, staff was excellent; very friendly and more than willing to help. And hotel is in an excellent location, just a block from campus. Overall, it was not a bad stay, just felt like I would have gotten more for the money. But it IS Boulder,
so I guess that is what you can expect for the rate charged.

We ended up moving down the road to Broomfield/Westminster where the prices are less and you get a lot more for the money.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Hi smtcpa,

Thank you for your positive comments on the friendly staff. Due to your feedback on the towel racks, we are currently exploring the option.

The Boulder Inn is a AAA 3 diamond hotel, and our prices are quite competitive compared with other similarly rated hotels in Boulder. The City of Boulder is an absolutely world class destination. It has been recently named: America's Foodiest Town - Bon Appetit 2010, 20 Best Vacation Destinations – Frommers 2012, 10 Great College Towns - US News & World Report 2011, 10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Kiplinger's 2010….. The list goes on and on. I understand if price is the driving factor in your decision making process, sacrificing location is always an understandable option.

Ari Rubin

Reviewed June 10, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I didn't expect too much, so I was pleasantly surprised by the very clean and sizable accommodations. The complimentary breakfast was excellent. We were there for five days, and the food was on a rotating basis, so it was repeated every fourth day. Choices of eggs/cereals/pastries/fruit/waffles. All better than expected. My only complaint is that the little amenities, such as water, tissues, shampoo, in the room were not replaced often enough since there were three of us. Great location as well. Close to everything, yet removed enough to be private.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Hi Chessie22,

Our top goal at the Boulder Inn is to “over-deliver” on everything from service to amenities. From your review, it sounds as though we succeeded.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the rotating breakfast menu in our newly constructed private breakfast room. We opened the new Chautauqua room less than a month ago, and guest feedback has been remarkable. In particular, guests seem to rave about the coffee machine that grinds fresh beans upon request. I must admit that I have been sneaking in and making myself fresh vanilla mochachinos. It is like having my own personal barista.