“Whoops.”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Whoops.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

For the price point, this place was less than sufficient. We stayed here after a bout of bad planning (and complete ignorance) thinking that we were getting a better deal for the pricing. We pull up and it resembles a motel...we go to the "lobby," as directed by paper signs to find that it is in a small and awkward location. Our room also must have been a smoking room (pre-renovation) since it smelled like cigarettes. After having to drown a spider in the bathtub, we discovered that the drain was on the fritz. The AC was on as high as possible, yet the room never totally cooled down.

The breakfast was pretty good, however we watched an awkward altercation between the cook a guest asking for eggs because of diet needs. She wasn't happy about it, so she brought a pan of eggs out for him to eat off of.

Last but not least, I think I will hire whoever did the photography for this hotel's PR, since they made it look like a resort for us ignorant out-of-towners.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Ellekerby
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hi Ellekerby,

I’m sorry to hear that your perceived view of the product you purchased did not meet your price expectations. I have experienced this before, and I understand how hard it can be. It is our number one goal to constantly exceed customer expectations, and it is exceptionally frustrating to hear we failed to meet yours. The Boulder Inn is a AAA 3 diamond hotel, and our prices are extremely competitive compared with other similarly rated hotels in Boulder. We have received the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for the last two years, and have recently been awarded as one of the top Best Westerns in North America. On a nightly average, 42% of our visitors are repeat guests. I believe all of this says a great deal about the hotel and staff.

I love this city, and it is important to me that every visitor to the town has an exceptional experience. If your travels bring you back to Boulder, we would appreciate it if you would give us a second chance. If not, and you would like recommendations for an alternate hotel, I would be happy to help with that as well. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip to Boulder. It's not a large or fancy property - but with adequate amenities like breakfast and swimming pool . Rooms are clean, fresh and all necessary in-room stuffs available inside the room. Good part is that every room has a balcony/sit-out with chairs to relax.

What I liked the most is the great hospitality of their front office staff with excellent experience from check-in thru check-out, and Free bike rentals. With well laid bike trails all over Boulder, free bike rental was a pleasant surpise. I loved the bike ride as much I did like their staff's caring attitude.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 456CRS
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hi 456CRS,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the Trip Advisor community. I’m glad that your business trip was successful. We cater to business executives from NIST, NOAA, NCAR, CU, and a variety of local businesses. I’m glad to hear that the property lived up to your high expectations.

We rolled out our free bike rental program a few years ago, and the response has been overwhelming. I am thrilled to hear that you took advantage of it. Boulder is one of the most bike friendly cities in the US, and I believe it is the best method of exploring the town.

If your travels bring you back through Boulder, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to help facilitate your reservation. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Came back to Boulder looking for a nice stay. Best Western isn't awful, but for the price I would have expected more. Room was ok, but the bathroom light takes 5 minutes to brighten, no towel racks by sink, fridge does not really cool, and sink faucet was loose. Beds were comfortable. Outside looks dated and there is no lounge to hang out. Door into the building takes a code but I spent 10 minutes before calling my family to open the door. Breakfast was average; good if you like all your food sweet. For health-conscious Boulder, ther was really nothing healthy or without artificial sugar, except for the apples.

On the bright side, staff was excellent; very friendly and more than willing to help. And hotel is in an excellent location, just a block from campus. Overall, it was not a bad stay, just felt like I would have gotten more for the money. But it IS Boulder,
so I guess that is what you can expect for the rate charged.

We ended up moving down the road to Broomfield/Westminster where the prices are less and you get a lot more for the money.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi smtcpa,

Thank you for your positive comments on the friendly staff. Due to your feedback on the towel racks, we are currently exploring the option.

The Boulder Inn is a AAA 3 diamond hotel, and our prices are quite competitive compared with other similarly rated hotels in Boulder. The City of Boulder is an absolutely world class destination. It has been recently named: America's Foodiest Town - Bon Appetit 2010, 20 Best Vacation Destinations – Frommers 2012, 10 Great College Towns - US News & World Report 2011, 10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Kiplinger's 2010….. The list goes on and on. I understand if price is the driving factor in your decision making process, sacrificing location is always an understandable option.

Ari Rubin
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I didn't expect too much, so I was pleasantly surprised by the very clean and sizable accommodations. The complimentary breakfast was excellent. We were there for five days, and the food was on a rotating basis, so it was repeated every fourth day. Choices of eggs/cereals/pastries/fruit/waffles. All better than expected. My only complaint is that the little amenities, such as water, tissues, shampoo, in the room were not replaced often enough since there were three of us. Great location as well. Close to everything, yet removed enough to be private.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hi Chessie22,

Our top goal at the Boulder Inn is to “over-deliver” on everything from service to amenities. From your review, it sounds as though we succeeded.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the rotating breakfast menu in our newly constructed private breakfast room. We opened the new Chautauqua room less than a month ago, and guest feedback has been remarkable. In particular, guests seem to rave about the coffee machine that grinds fresh beans upon request. I must admit that I have been sneaking in and making myself fresh vanilla mochachinos. It is like having my own personal barista.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great staff!

I believe the hotel is gradually being refurbished. For now, it is dog eared. But it has what you need, is clean and comfortable, and good for sleeping. Boulder is a great city! Perhaps the most wonderful thing about this location is that you can borrow bikes for free and toodle off to the creekside bike paths. It is a bit of a trek to get to the Pearl Street Mall etc, maybe 15 or 20 minutes on the bike, up hillish, but the creek paths are delightful.

For breakfast I would prefer healthier options, like yogurt without sugar, more fruit (one day bananas, but the next day there weren't), low carb things. But it is nice that they include breakfast.

Green Features: I'd believe it more if the lights and A/C were off when I arrived in the room. Best environmentally friendly practice here is the free bikes.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hi ferfninja,

We hire the most attentive, polite, and friendly people we can find. All staff members participate in a rigorous hospitality training program. We appreciate your positive affirmation of the staff and training program.

Also, thank you for your feedback on the complimentary hot breakfast. We take all guest feedback extremely seriously, and review it when creating the rotating menu.

Reston, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. I failed to book far in advance, so this was one of our few options. I was worried that I would hate it, but it is actually a nice property for a Best Western. The rooms were large and had a mini fridge. The level of cleanliness was good. The beds were comfortable. Breakfast was included and was better than expected - in addition to the usual continental breakfast goods, they had fresh fruit, eggs, pancakes or french toast, and a breakfast meat at each meal. The breakfast room was large and we never had trouble finding a seat, even on a holiday weekend.

The pool area was nice and had ample seating. Unfortunately, I found the noise level at this hotel to be a bit high. All rooms either face the parking lot or the interior courtyard/pool area. Walls are thin and you can hear a lot more than you want to. I needed to wear ear plugs at this property.

The location was not ideal - slightly too far for a roundtrip walk to town, but too close to justify fighting parking in downtown Boulder. While the hotel offers free bikes to borrow, they are not in very good shape.

Overall, my stay was adequate. If you stay here and want to go downtown, bring your bike, or rent one from somewhere other than the hotel!!!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room that faces the parking lot or pool area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi mkeith03,

It sounds as though you were in town for the Bolder Boulder race. At over 50,000 people, it is the 4th largest road race in the United States. Thank you for your positive comments on the complimentary hot breakfast. A month ago we opened a new 1200 square foot private breakfast room. With the larger room, we are able to offer an expanded rotating menu of fresh Belgian waffles, bacon, sausage, breakfast burritos..Your encouragement on our product is very kind.

I’m sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the free bikes that were offered to you. We purchased a new fleet of cruisers this April, and do our best to keep them in top condition. For guests that require high end bicycles, there is a Trek shop walking distance from the hotel.