“good, eclectic, fun”

Ranked #69 of 573 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Aji is proud to serve cuisine inspired by the rich cultures of Latin America. Enjoy a refreshing Mojito on our street side patio, sample one of our fresh ceviche, or indulge in a classic Argentinian steak or Brazilian Feijoada.
Phoenix, Arizona
“good, eclectic, fun”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Started with a pisco sour. How fun is that!?! The menu is eclectic with an emphasis on South American food. I had the duck breast, which was good, but the sides were spectacular. The giant rib eye steak, which our friend had, was unbelievably huge and he said very good. The teens liked their meat dishes very well, but they loved the desserts.

• Visited July 2012
Thank DanaD.

AUSTIN
“Very good but watery”
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

I went to Aji with high expectation ... It was very good but I can't quite give it an excellent. "Water" would be the key reason. I had the Papas a la Huancaina as an appetizer and they were excellent. My caipirinha tasted as if had been watered down and the paella was tasty but also watery. One of the best parts of a paella are the crunchy crust at the bottom...definitely no crust when it's still swimming in juice.. My waiter was very friendly and helpful..he almost trumped the watery issues.

Washington State
“great stop on the mall crawl!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Go here for empanadas and mojitos. They both ROCK! My favorite empanadas are the poblanos, but the pork are good also. This is one of our traditional stops on the Boulder Mall Crawl!

• Visited June 2012
Boulder, Colorado
“Food is Good, Service is Not”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We go to Aji several times a month. The food is good, but has changed. They used to have great ceviche, and now is it just ok and overpriced.

Aji seems to have a problem with service staff. Everytime we go, they are different and they are not trained. On a recent visit, we sat outside at a table that is exposed to the elements. dirt, and bird poo.I ordered a soup and the server brought a spoon and placed it on the bare table. That is poor sanitation. Unacceptable. There were other issues, but don't want to blame the server, as it is about training.

We ordered mojitos as soon as we arrived. Later we ordered our lunch. My soup came before the mojitos (over 15 minutes later) and we were told it was because the manager was "next door". I don't care why, but that was poor service.

I don't blame the staff, I blame the manager. Lack of training for the staff. And I do not understand the delay on the mojitos .if the manger if "next door" that just seems lazy. I thought customers were the primary concern of a manager. I hope the owners review the manager and service staff, as they are not anywhere near where Aji used to be.

They have a really nice outdoor seating area. But given the food and service I won't be back soon.
This used to be one of our favorite spots.

• Visited August 2012
Herndon, VA
“A Taste Excursion”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We chose Aji after looking through the TripAdvisor reviews, and considered the fact that they were featured by the CoMusic.org event as well. We were not disappointed. The staff was very friendly, and described the meals in good detail. Interestingly, the paella did not include chorizo. So there's definitely the chef's own influence on Latin style meals.

My wife chose the pollo, my son chose the quesadilla from the surprisingly agreeably priced kids menu, our guest took the empinadas and I took the waiter-recommended Bisteca (steak). I was expecting a bone-in ribeye like I had had earlier in the day at Saltgrass in Westminster, but was amazed to receive a much larger portion than I expected. Whatever they marinated the steak in was delightful. All family members enjoyed their meals, and the suggested drinks that came with them. We would definitely return - the only drawback was that I asked for medium rare, got it closer to rare, and had it returned medium well. If you go there, get it medium. No real matter - the taste made the temperature less important.

Almost forgot - the Chili Verde was wonderful - more soup than chili, but a real nice excursion for the taste buds!

• Visited July 2012