“Wonderful meal and terrific service”
Review of Frasca Food & Wine

Frasca Food & Wine
Ranked #17 of 584 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Steeped in tradition, nestled at the foot of the Alps, and bordered by Austria, Slovenia, and the Adriatic Sea, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy is a region of immense cultural blending, geographical diversity, and idyllic beauty. Historically found throughout Friuli, frascas were friendly and informal gathering places, destinations for farmers, friends, and families to share a meal and a bottle of wine at the end of a long day. Frasca, the creation of Master Sommelier Bobby Stucky and Chef Lachlan Makinnon-Patterson, offers a taste of this beauty, culture, and hospitality in the heart of Boulder. Our shared passion for Friulano cuisine and fine wine is reflected in our exquisitely prepared fare and a comprehensive wine list boasting over 200 varieties. Our seasoned staff is here to ensure a memorable evening with meticulous attention to detail, expert wine pairing, and extensive knowledge of our ever-changing menu. Warm, welcoming, and always gracious, Frasca is the perfect place to enjo
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were celebrating a reunion of childhood friends and this restaurant made it very memorable. We all enjoyed the well prepared meal and attentive service. The sommelier was helpful in making a wine selection for my friend whose preference is California wines. She learned about something new from his recommendation and we all loved it.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We've been to Frasca a few times. Each time for their Monday Tasting Menu. It still isn't cheap but we've never been disappointed. Each course is simple (at least it appears that way) and straight forward and comprised of a few quality ingredients - nothing pretentious - just wonderful. We typically share a wine paring to keep the costs down, but are always happy (even when they bring out a white - we're red wine snobs).

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Frasca is a few blocks from my house, so I capitalize on every opportunity to sit at the bar and enjoy the tasting menu + a perfectly paired with wines for each dish.

You really can't go wrong with Frasca: both the bartenders and the servers are genuinely interested in food and wine, and their passion shows through in their descriptions, suggestions, and knowledge. The food is always solid. The menu is often a little pretentiously worded, and sometimes it's a little left of center for me, and I wish it was a little more... I don't know... fun? Having said that, I've never had anything less than a satisfying, enjoyable experience.

Get the tasting menu and let them pair your wines!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We enjoyed a fab meal here in August. We wanted to celebrate and enjoy a gorgeous Colorado summer's eve, so we made reservations here. To start, the service is impeccable. No other word will do. I cannot say enough good things about the staff--all of them! We also enjoyed all of the clientele around us. Everyone was polite and enjoying themselves, which made for a fab night.
We had a look at the menu and struggled. Paying a set $78 for a four course meal might be ok, if more than one course had meat. The primi (after the antipasti) was mainly veggie dishes, although one did come with a scallop broth or something...To have that a la carte is $30...So we skipped that course, shared an antipasti and each had a main. They don't put the price of the main on the menu and it was $39. We even split a dessert. I had two glasses of wine. I was going to start with a glass of prosecco, because I recognized the vineyard and have purchased it myself on a few occasions. I can buy the bottle for $13 and it was going for $12/glass. I just couldn't justify a 400% mark up, no matter how much this special occasion merited bubbles. The bill came to just shy of $200. That's too steep for what we got, regardless of quality of ingredients. Our mains were modest sized at best, and this is from a European perspective.
Aside from pricing, I would go back and recommend. The atmosphere inside is lively and the staff is superb.

1  Thank intlwanderlust
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I'll preface this review by saying that I have been fortunate enough to have eaten at many excellent and highly regarded restaurants throughout the US and Europe, some of which are well known and others just found by chance. I say this not to show off but rather to give any readers some perspective on my views. My son lives in Boulder so we decided to take him out for a memorable meal while visiting him. Service here was very cordial but a bit overwrought. I mean that the staff was very professional, attentive, and knowledgeable, but conveyed the sense that we were privileged to be there. This is in contrast to a Danny Meyer restaurant in NYC, most of which are in the same price range, also with highly trained staff but somehow they manage to make you feel that they are genuinely delighted that you have decided to eat in their establishment. Menu choices were interesting and all sounded quite tempting. We all had the Quattro piatti and ordered different selections so we saw and tasted quite a bit from the chef. Portions are small, bigger than a tasting menu size but not by much. With a tasting menu, there are usually 6-8 courses so small sizes are to be expected, but for this meal, a bit more would have been appropriate. For me, the portion size was fine, but for my husband, it was a bit of a shock that his lamb secondi consisted of literally two petite slices of meat. All dishes were well prepared and presented, but nothing was off the charts amazing. For over $350 for the three of us, including drinks,wine, tip, it just seems that this meal and our overall experience should have been far more special. We left feeling that we can cross Frasca off our bucket list, a good meal but not one we will long remember.