“Nice hotel”

St Julien Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed December 5, 2009

It is a very nice hotel with nice decor, friendly staffs and nice food in the restuarant.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed November 7, 2009

When you stay in what is supposed to be the best (and most expensive) hotel in a town I believe you have every right to expect the best in all aspects of your stay.

The St Julien is in a great location, and if you get a room on the back you will have fantastic views of the Flatirons. The furnishings in the room and hotel are pretty good without having a "wow" factor. The Concierge team deserve to be commended on their attentive, polite and professional service which we experienced at every passing. Unfortunately this can all count for little when the staff you have to deal with the most - on reception - are rude, unhelpful and obnoxious.

On check-in we were served by someone in training (as indicated by her badge), and she took her time checking us in and had some trouble coding the access cards for our room. She had little help and when she asked for it from a colleague, rather than coming over and helping the trainee she barged in front of her, coded the keys and returned to her terminal, all without so much of a look or comment to us the guests, and made the trainee feel even more uncomfortable than she already did. We we were later inconvenienced as 1 of the 2 access cards did not work. When we went to reception for a replacement no apology was offered, rather was told that it was probably because we had kept it near a mobile phone even though this was definitely not the case.

We then had a problem with our shower - we couldn't get the hot water to work. We had a feeling that this was because we did not know how to use the different tap system compared to Australia and advised this to the receptionist, hoping that they could just give us some quick instructions. Instead, they didn't really listen and just told us maintenance would be up to check and hung up. 10 minutes passed and then reception called and asked us if maintenance had come yet - which in a top hotel is not very professional - we told them no and thy said they'd send up the Chief Engineer. Soon after that sure enough, the engineer arrives, and sure enough he is there a total of a minute and a half after showing us how to work it. 20 minutes later and we can now have our shower when it could have been 2 minutes.

We went to breakfast at Jill's Restaurant on a Sunday morning expecting to have access to their buffet that is advertised throughout the hotel, only to be told that the buffet is closed on Sundays, as they have a brunch buffet that starts later on. We questioned the waitress that this is not mentioned anywhere, no apology was offered and instead she claimed it is mentioned in the hotel compendium, gave us the menus and walked away. I ordered eggs and specifically asked them to be well cooked/over easy and they came out not only with runny yolk, but some of the white was not even set. Clearly my simple request had not been passed on to the chef, or they had disregarded it. On returning to our room I searched the hotel compendium for any indication the buffet is not open for breakfast on Sundays and found nothing, but saw plenty of advertisements for the breakfast buffet, and also the Sunday brunch. We had breakfast the next morning with a group and this had been prebooked for the number of people required so we had one table. But it wasn't set for enough people, and again when an issue has been raised by a guest, the staff make it worse by dismissing it. The waiter told us the solution was for the extra guests to be seated at another table, rather than an apology and attempt to reset the table so our needs could be met.

Whilst it may sound like I am harping on when you stay at a hotel that claims it is the best in Boulder service is absolutely critical to this. The Concierge all display service to a level that makes you feel great and valued as a guest - how can the Front Desk staff be the polar opposite in the same hotel? I think the St Julien need to learn that they need a lot more than a great location and fantastic views to be successful as a high-end, luxury hotel. If they don't then in my opinion they will have many one-time guests that vow never to return...

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank eljay78
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We stayed here for one night on a trip through Boulder before attending a wedding in Estes Park. The hotel is in a great location - one block from Pearl street and within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. The room, although not very large, was very nicely decorated and clean and the bed was very comfy. I loved the design of the two room bathroom with separate soaking tub and shower . I would suggest eating out at one of the nearby restaurants as we were not all that impressed with the food at the hotel. But all in all we had a great stay and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2009

My wife and I were scheduled to stay here for one night on our way up to Rocky Mountain National Park but after checking in and exploring the hotel and the town, we booked a second night. I am not a "spa" person and when I see that word used in a hotel's name, I have an immediate negative reaction. This is why my original choice in visiting Boulder for the first time was to stay at the Hotel Boulderado. However, that place was booked up and we had to "settle" for our second choice. How forturnate it all turned out. We walked into the lobby of the Hotel Boulderado and this classic hotel venue is certainly impressive and while I believe we would have had a nice hotel experience if we had stayed there, I don't see how it could top the St. Juien. Both hotels are located one block from the Pearl Street pedestrian mall, each hotel being on a parallel street, in different directions, from Pearl Street. Of the many things I liked about the St. Julien, the lobby was my favorite. You don't see many new hotels these days with big and inviting lobbies. The back wall of the lobby is almost all glass and you can just sit and get a commanding view of the beautiful mountainous scenery. There are plenty of chairs and sofas. It doubles as a lounge where if you want to order drinks but you don't have to. The valet parking team was as good as I have ever seen and when I say "team" I mean it. There were plenty of attendants being supervised and even though there was a car ahead of us, we were immediately greeted and taken care of. We were offered bottled water. In no time at all we were in the the hotel and the parking attendants never forgot our name the rest of our stay. Our room was lovely.
I had heard that if one could create the perfect college town it would be Boulder and after visiting it, I cannot disagree. Plenty of wonderful restaurants (be sure to try The Kitchen). Pearl Street is quickly reached through an alleyway across the street from the St. Julien. As a point of interest for anyone from the Northeast who is familiar with the pedestrian mall in Burlington, Vermont, I was told that there is some connection in the design team of the two. I don't know this to be true but in any event, the two are similar. Anyone who likes to hike is in paradise here. The trailhead to the flatirons is located right in town and we had a wonderful hike. All in all a great two days.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed at the St. Julian in September 2009. The hotel is great and it is in a good location near restaurants and shops. We would stay here again if we visit Boulder.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I stayed at the St. Julien last week while visiting Boulder on business. I enjoyed every minute of my stay and only wish I had more time to relax there and take advantage of the amenities. The hotel is located right in the middle of town surrounded by a number of restaurants, bars, coffee shops and stores. The rooms are beautifully furnished, the bed incredibly comfortable and the bathrooms amazingly large. The product in the bathroomsis from the St. Julien spa - it was so great I took mine home with me. Some other reviewers had mentioned that their rooms faced Walnut street and were loud at night - ,my room also faced the street and I did not have a problem with noise.
The workout room is sufficient - TVs on each treadmill, and views of the mountains. Right next to the workout room was a gorgeous pool and hot tub (also with great views) but I didn't have time to enjoy them.
While I didn't order in, my colleagues said the room service food was incredibly good. There is also a nice lounge area in the lobby with a beautiful fireplace and great ambience in the evening.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Boulder area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed at St. Julien for business. When checking in, they could not find my reservation in the system despite presenting them with the confirmation number from my travel agent. I was told this "happens from time to time". For a hotel that services business travelers, the management should really beef up their computer system to avoid such unpleasant snafu. Although, the staff have been friendly enough during the whole process. The room felt a little small but it was modern, and tastefully decorated. Very nice European style bathroom with both walk in shower and tub. Had dinners and breakfasts at the restaurant (Jill's I believe), the food was decent but not outstanding for the price. The only feasible parking option is really the 17 bucks/day valet parking, due to its downtown location. I wouldn't mind staying there for business again. if I were to travel to Boulder on my own, I would probably opt for something cheaper and no frills. After traveling for so many years and staying at everything from barrack-style hostel to ultra fancy-pants boutique hotels, I simply don't care about hotels anymore as much as the trip itself. Moderately priced, good location, clean, quiet, and free internet, that's all I ask for. And in Boulder, there are certainly plenty of value choices.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business