“Great Experience”

St Julien Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My girlfriend and I chose the St. Julien for a quick weekend break location - what a great choice. I've stayed here for business before and have always been impressed. Staying for pleasure was even better. The room was fantastic, clean, comfy bed great bath with all the stuff you typically need. Hotel staff was beyond courteous and went the extra mile even though they were incredibly busy with a couple of wedding receptions that weekend. We also spent a half day in the spa - worth every penny. You walk out of there feeling just fantastic. The spa professionals (the masseuses) are just fantastic. The 'kids' running the front desk and locker rooms need a bit more coaching on what customer service is and how to provide it - not sure if it was just a case of them being in a summer job or what, but they definitely could use some polish. They pale in comparison to the hotel staff.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have balconies (albit small) - gives you a litle more room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear YETI B,

As much as we enjoy taking care of our business guests, we love it even more when they come back for leisure. I’m very happy to hear you enjoyed our rooms, Spa at St Julien, and the hotel staff’s service. I will personally share your comments with the Spa team at the front desk and locker rooms, to be sure we improve upon your recent experience there. Thank you for your repeat business.

Peter T. Walstra, CHA

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the St. Julien while visiting our son and future daughter in law in Boulder. We paid for a bed and breakfast stay which cost about $339.00 per night plus about $36.00 in taxes. The room (425) was on the top floor and very private -- a corner room which had lots of space and a wonderful view of the local mountains. Busy roads surround the hotel but we heard little in the room. We kept the windows closed (actually don't know if they could be opened but it was very hot and the air conditioning was great.) The bath is well done: A separate shower and a soaking tub with nice bath products and a lovely sink vanity area. The toilet has its own little room. The bed, a king, was luxurious and the wardrobe contained separate closets, the flat screen, and drawers. A separate cabinet contained a safe and a stocked mini-bar. A nice coffee machine made either brewed tea or coffee. Turn down service included two waterbottles and some chocolate cookies -- nice touch. The hotel itself was lovely with a huge hearth gas fireplace, a beautiful bar and restaurant. We had no dinners in the hotel preferring to sample the large array of restaurants offering happy hours nearby. We did have breakfast as it was included in our rate. Delicious! We had joined the I Prefer program of hotels before we went to the St. Julien -- this was supposed to give us special treatment. However, no one at the front desk made any comments or treated us specially. I think you are supposed to get free internet and an automatic upgrade. However, we had no computer and I had called and specifically requested our room so I cannot comment on I Prefer. Fairmont's President's Club seems to work much better. Overall, the staff at the hotel was very nice. The only problem we had was getting served on the outside restaurant deck. We had to search for a waitress and then it took 45 minutes to get 5 fancy tater tots. We waited so long that they should have comped us. I think that the waitress must have forgot b/c we had to ask her twice. Other than that, I loved the hotel. It was very central and you could walk to the most interesting areas of the town. Did not try the Spa -- the indoor pool looked beautiful but small. I would definitely stay there again even thought it was a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor facing the mountains
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Jeannie H,

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel’s rooms, amenities and your breakfast at Jill’s Restaurant. I apologize that you were not greeted as a member of I Prefer when you checked in, and that you experienced some difficulty with your food and beverage service on the Terrace. I will be sure to personally address the issues you experienced with my team. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I most recently had our rehearsal dinner at Jills with 75 of our closest family and friends. Most of us being in the food business had very high expectations but I can assure you that Phillipe, Chef Laurent and their phenomenal staff owned every last detail. After 20 years in the business, our special occasion was to be a highlight of our memorable weekend. Phillipe and Chef worked with us for almost 10 months to ensure that we would have an awesome experience to remember for years to come. From the start we felt Phillipe's passion towards his business, he perfectly paired wines with each course. Starting with the absolute best Charcuteriemy guests had ever seen, chased by the Truffle'd Tots and a Tuna TarTar that still has our families talking. Chef's selections for a group of this size slightly concerned me but was executed to perfection; table side flambé, classic Caesar's masterfully created to perfection followed by absolutely perfectly cooked entrees served in sequence. Along with the service, came personalities that will be with us for years to come (Especially our favorite Kimberly, Your Awesome). When I thought the experience was completed, Chef along with Philipe and Brad treated our guests as they returned from the wedding with artisan pizzas at midnight in T-Zero lounge inside the Julien (couldn't have been more perfect timing and quality). To send our guests off in style the Sunday Brunch was one to the best I've ever seen, our seats on the patio facing the flatirons only complimented the service and exceptional food. Hospitality has been taken to a new level! When remarkable food, service and great people leave a mark like Phillipe's team have, there is not a dollar figure that can compare to the memories they've provided for my family and friends! Thanks guys, you're a class act....

Room Tip: Mountian view is the only way to go!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear Scott S,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with St Julien Hotel & Spa. We are honored that you chose to host your rehearsal dinner and brunch with us, and very pleased that the Jill’s Restaurant and T-Zero Lounge culinary team exceeded your expectations. Congratulations on your marriage – we hope to see you again on your anniversary.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

2nd time here for a conference. My only complaint is we requested a room with a balcony and mountain view. When we checked in we were told we had a terrace view. Since we are getting a group rate I thought well ok. Our view is a wall. To see the terrace you have to press your face against the window and then you can the tops of the umbrellas. And then we find out that one of the people in our group paying the same rate that made no request got a balcony with furniture and a view of the mountains..... Staff is very helpful with restaurant suggestions.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Dear cubadyvr,

We’re pleased we had the chance to host you on a second visit, however, I’m sorry to hear your requests could not be accommodated. I hope you’ll stay again and give us the opportunity to make this up to you.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

This a really nice hotel in downtown Boulder. Reception staff great but the place has a mix of understaffing or just to casual. Customer service slow, slow, slow!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear mcfcok7750,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us at St Julien Hotel & Spa. We’re sorry you found our service to be slow; I will be sure to personally address this concern directly with our team. Please come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

The St. Julien is an interesting mix of modern and sophisticated, yet casual and very Boulder-esque. The location can't be beat a block off Pearl Street and right next to the running trails along a creek. If you want to squeeze in exercise, the trails are divine and lead you right into the edge of the Rockie mountains within a mile from the hotel. The lobby is clean and open, the design of rooms and the entire hotel modern brick construction. The rooms are well designed with nice flourishes of spa amenities and furniture. This is no chain, but a well thought out local modern landmark. The service was very attentive and friendly, and the whole vibe felt efficient, clean and friendly. There isn't much character in the building, but you will be comfortable and well taken care of.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear Socalicouple,

Thank you for the kind review of your recent stay with us. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location, rooms and amenities, and most of all, our service. We strive to surpass guests’ expectations in this area above all else. Please return soon for another visit.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Our daughter lives in Boulder, and when we visit, we always stay at the St. Julian. I have never been disappointed. This year, as in a previous year, we were there for the Boulder Creek Festival and the hotel is just a stroll across the street from the action!. The first time we went to Boulder, we stayed at the "other hotel", and although it was very nice, the decor was just not my style. The St. Julien's decor is contemporary, and definitely suits my taste. This time we had a corner room, and I loved to wake up in the morning and pull back all the curtains. The bathroom is very luxurious--slate tiling, soaking tub, separate shower, and a potty with it's own room. I didn't have an opportunity to take advantage of the spa, although I have at other visits, and it is excellent. Had dinner at Jill's when we arrived--not really hungry, but the onion soup and Caesar salad (prepared tableside) was very tasty. Breakfast, our final day there was also very good and the service was very attentive, both at dinner and at breakfast. Staff was friendly from check-in, to valet parking, to departure. Was little disappointed with housekeeping (not the cleaniness of the room--because it was perfect), but we had to call for room make up one day, and I had a problem with the shower cap, one day there, another day not, another day brought up to the room, another day not there--but this was no biggie and certainly did not affect my opinion of the hotel. I think we will be planning a wedding in Boulder in the near future and if we do, I plan use the hotel as our choice for family and friends. Will I stay there again--of course. Would I recommend it to others, certainily.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear FloridaVol,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are honored to have your repeat business, and hope to for years to come. We appreciate your feedback in regard to Jill’s Restaurant as well, and are happy you enjoyed our Tableside Dining offering, a favorite amongst guests. We also appreciate your comments related to housekeeping; I’m sorry you had issues, and will work with our team directly to ensure this is not the case in the future. We very much look forward to hosting you – and your guests – while you’re in town for that upcoming wedding.