“Great place to stay in Boulder-close to EVERYTHING!”

St Julien Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Beautiful rooms - ours had doors that open to a great balcony. Nice amenities, including lovely bath salts. Walk out the hotel and cross 2 streets and you are at a great outdoor shopping street. Blocks and blocks of shopping and great food, benches, art and plenty of both sun and shade. Walk the other direction if you want to run, hike, bike, picnic, or walk on beautiful trails next to a beautiful creek. (this is a must do!). Sunday night there was a big screen movie shown and Monday night, the fireplace was lit and cozy for all. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed June 17, 2011

We had an amazing experience at one of the best Hotel and Spa in Colorado.
The staff was fantastic from valet to the front office to the spa. The view from our room was incredible and the accomodations were first class, Housekeeping was high-end and the bar and restaurant services under Jill's Restaurant (General Manager) Anthony Grippo, up to the highest standards, Thank you Anthony . . . The Escobars

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2011

stayed for 5 days over Memorial day weekend. The very busy Boulder Creek Festival was across the street but this oasis of calm and quiet was not disturbed by it. Boulder, Bon Appetit's Food Town does not dissapoint from a culinary standpoint, nor does the hotel. Fantastic Happy Hour food and drink specials and Fitness Center w Spa to get over it the next day. Literally dozens of top restaurants within walking distance too, as well as the fantastic Highland City Club. Highly recommend the St. Julien and Boulder for a long weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Don't miss the happy hour 'tapas'
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SwampGas
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I live in Boulder and I've stayed at the St. Julien once. My parents booked a suite for the weekend. Both times I've experienced such hideous service that I question whether to give money to any part of the hotel again.

My first time, my husband and I were awakened at 11pm by a phone call. We picked up the phone and it was a front desk employee rudely telling us to keep down the noise. We had been ASLEEP.

Now, it was Friday night and every Friday night is a raucous happy hour with a band. That's fine, but the hotel knows full well that Friday nights are loud. In fact, our room was thumping all night. Yet they automatically assumed that we were the noise culprits. I complained that night and the next day and never received anything beyond an indifferent apology.

This weekend, we went down to the lobby for afternoon tea with my six-year-old daughter. When we got there, we were told that without reservations, we could not be served--even though half the lobby was empty, the other half was taken up by a huge baby shower, and the outdoor seating was wide open. My daughter was in tears, so I asked if there was any way they could a accommodate our small party with tea service outside. I was told no--they only make as much food as they have reservations. I was invited to cobble together my own tea by buying tea and plastic-wrapped cookies from the coffee bar. When I said we were guests and only arrived the night before, the concierge replied, "well we take reservations all morning on Saturday."

This type of unprofessionalism is unacceptable for a luxury hotel. Period. When guests are paying several hundred dollars a night for a room--and even MORE for a suite. These types of situations shouldn't HAPPEN, much less appeased with inadequate excuses and apologies.

The St. Julien may have nice rooms, a cool fireplace, and a good location, but all of that means nothing without impeccable service where the customer is always--repeat, ALWAYS--right, and definitely not blamed for staff shortcomings.

Out-of-towers may be impressed, but every Boulderite I've talked to has a St. Julien customer horror story to tell. The hotel has had several years to figure this out, and still can't be bothered to change. Maybe the third time is a charm, but I'm not sure I want to pay good money to find out.

• Stayed: May 2011
6  Thank Jlpo
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about your stay at St Julien Hotel & Spa. We hope you will accept our sincere apologies for any misunderstandings and inconveniences caused during your recent stay. As an independently-owned Boulder hotel, we pride ourselves on the quality and service we deliver to our guests. It’s our priority to deliver exceptional service to our guests and we hope to someday regain your trust and loyalty. I would like to speak with you one-on-one to rectify this issue. Please email me at pwalstra@stjulien.com with the best way to reach out to you. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed April 9, 2011

I have been to Boulder many times and stayed many places. I really enjoyed my time at the St Julien . Honestly I did not think the rooms were that special. The views of the mts were nice, but same at many other hotels. HOWEVER the staff make you feel special . They are for the most part competent and trying to pamper and please. This is missing in all the other hotel in town I have stayed at. The front desk staff was great ,there is a real concierge service, the door is held for you. The lobby has a great fire and resort feel. I felt like a guest here, not like an annoyance. It was well worth the extra money to have that relaxed vacation feeling . I loved it and have forgotten how much I missed it. Hats off to the service at the St Julien, skip the Marriott and Millenium really no comparison and not much difference in price. Oh and this is such a great location , walk to pearl st , walk to campus, walk up mts to Canyon.!

Room Tip: Mountain view
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Liketotravel2u
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel in early February while attending a conference. At first, I wasn't sure what to expect of Boulder--cold locales are not usually my cup of tea, especially when mixed with the frantic pace of business travel--but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was cozy, modern and stylish, with a nice location near restaurants, bars, and shopping. The bathrooms were AWESOME, with a full bathtub and bathsalts provided. And the service from the staff was also great. They helped me hire cars, find places to eat, and even handled a morning power outage with grace.

Overall, here is my list of pros and cons associated with this hotel:

PROS:
- Modern in-room amenities (flatscreen TV, alarm with iPod dock, coffee maker, safe large enough for my laptop, etc)
- Free wifi
- Robes and slippers (apparently these are in every room)
- Huuuuge bathroom. Full bath tub, separate stone shower, separate toilet
- I had a beautiful view of the flatiron mountains
- Thorough housekeeping
- Really nice, modern gym
- Heated indoor pool and jacuzzi
- Gift shop on site
- Located really close to quaint shops, good restaurants, and coffee
- Thoughtful staff
- Happy hour in the lobby from 5-7
- Nice and quiet...had no problem with noise and had a deep nights sleep every night.

CONS:
- The only one I can think of is price. It is a tad on the expensive side. But you get much more of what you pay for than other expensive hotels I've stayed at.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Our room and amenities were classic comfort with our shower and bath having gorgeous slate flooring, glass enclosed shower, beautiful double sink vanity and spa amenities. Our beds were ultra comfortable, pristine white sheets & down comforters. Our room looked out over the foothills of the Rockies. While the room was a little piece of heaven, the spa was wonderful, with a large indoor swimming pool and super large double jacuzzi. I swam until closing time!
The bar has an urban hip vibe with many locals. Service was little slow as the staff was quite busy with the Christmas crowd enjoying a piano/violin trio. Upscale Rocky Mountain class is waiting your stay at the St. Julien.

• Stayed: December 2010