“not good”

Rib House Boulder The
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed November 25, 2010

really dry bbq, really indifferent service, and very very slow. Not affordable, even at happy hour, and it made us all feel pretty icky for the rest if the day. Do not bother. Too many good restaurants in Boulder.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

My brother-in-law and his daughter raved about this place right down the street from Boulder's most eclectic avenue. There is a smoker out front to advertise the location, but it is just for show, only burning charcoal and blowing unpleasant non-barbecue scented smoke into the restaurant's wide open windows and doors occasionally. We ordered two large racks of the Illegal Ribs for the four of us, and ordered a few a la carte sides as well. Considering the ribs were over twenty bucks a rack I was a little surprised the sides weren't included, but whatever. The ribs were tender and well-cooked, but I felt the rub had completely burned off, only really enjoying the meat with the light or mild sauce we ordered with them. I didn't try the potato salad or cole slaw, but I seemed to be the only one the table who enjoyed the baked corn, which was cheesy and spicy and I happily finished. My niece ordered a slice of chocolate cinnamon cake, which was very large, but also very dry. The frosting was tasty, but dessert, like many of the details, is only an afterthought here.

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Our first visit here. We were drawn by the claim of best in Colorado and hadn't had ribs in a while. To cut to the chase...the ribs are the thing. The baby back ribs were mediocre at best, and not served hot. They were very barely warm. That's a lazy kitchen, especially as there were only about 3 tables with customers and one was finishing up.The ribs had a good bark, but the meat in the center should still be moist. So while the meat literally fell off the bone (so it was impossible to eat it off the bone), the meat was dry and tough. That's not KC BBQ, or good BBQ

Prices were high considering that when you buy a rack for almost $23 you get no side dishes. For side dishes ...forget the corn in cheese sauce...tasted like cheese sauce at a ball park (but we weren't at a ball park and there were no nachos). Spicy beans were very good with chunks of pork.
Service was very weak...and the bartender needs an education...they do not know how to make an Irish coffee..but more important, my wife found a dead gnat in the bottom of her glass and when we pointed this out to the waitress, she said "Ok"...no apology..and the Irish coffee was poor, as was my drink. If you can't serve quality food, or drinks and service is poor/untrained...that is a restaurant I would not recommend to anyone.

I'm disappointed as I hoped to find a good BBQ restaurant...try someplace else.

Reviewed December 31, 2009

As a family of four, we enjoyed dinner here on 12/29/09. We were greeted at the door by the wonderful smell of BBQ, and a host who sat us immediately. Our server Max was very personable, and attentive, pointing out some great happy hour deals on food as well as drinks. We ordered 2 of the Scott's Rib baskets, and 2 Matt's Combo sandwich plates. All were excellent with choice of two sides. The large side of fries counted as 2, but it was huge and yummy. Loved the potato salad. The BBQ sauce we chose was mild, it was good, but would have liked a sweet sauce option - showing I probably do not have a refined true Kansas BBQ palate. :)

We were so impressed when the owner helped serve when oour food arrived, and talked to us for a bit. I just love to find that personal touch and pride of ownership - it is so rare these days.

Reviewed December 13, 2009

We should have followed the time-honored law of never going into a restaurant that is empty, but having succumbed to the deluge of advertizing on the web and in local papers, we foolishly ignored the fact that this joint was empty on the busy pre-Thanksgiving Saturday lunchtime.

It was pricey, so we only had half racks of their special baby back ribs; the portion came all on its own in the middle of a totally cold long steel platter; there was nothing with the meat - you had to order sides separately at further cost - not so much as an onion ring, a french fry, a pickle - nada! Having asked for a side of fries, we were advised to order a "basket to share" , but we found out later this was another pricey option. The fries were terrible too.

We started eating the tepid ribs, which rapidly became cold on the cold steel platters; after an age of trying to catch the servers eye (remember the place was empty ), I told him our food was cold. But instead of apologising profusely and either offering to heat them up or get us a new hot serving, he just said it was not worth his job to complain to the management and that he didn't want to be fired ! What was that about ?? We stoically ate through cold ribs as fast as we could and got the hell out of there! No tip. What the hell is going on with the place? it may be a good hangout at night for those who just want to drink and watch the screens, but food-wise and service are terrible. There are so many much nicer places to eat in Boulder. Don't be tempted by the advertizing hype, avoid this place!