“Expensive but good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carelli's of Boulder

Carelli's of Boulder
Ranked #35 of 565 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Forks, Washington
“Expensive but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

The food is very good, I wouldn't call it great. However, Boulder has several excellent Italian restaurants and this is a little expensive relative to the quality of the food compared to others I've tried. The ambiance is great except it can be a little noisy.

The garlic bread that comes with most of the entrees is wonderful. The marinara sauce is good. They serve a lot of pasta and sauce but top with light amounts of meat. For the price I'd like more, Other dishes I have eaten there at other times have also been consistently good.

The service can be variable. The last time we were there we had our order taken and the food delivered in a reasonable time but no one seemed to be keeping an eye on our progress and getting the bill took a while. Getting the credit card back after they took it also took a long time. It wasn't that full by then so they can't have been that busy. The young lady carrying around the water and bread was moving the fastest of them all and doing a great job at least until I stopped seeing her. The more senior waitstaff did not have even close to her hustle. We have been there on other occasions and had other slow points so I suppose their staff most be a bit overloaded. That's a shame considering how much they are charging.

They are frequently crowded and even with a reservation you will wait to be seated. Without one you will wait a long time.

Boulder, Colorado
“Pricey but delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I really enjoyed my last experience at Carelli's. I have been here multiple times and generally have had a great experience. The pasta dishes are wonderful, the marinara they use is fresh and well seasoned. I personally always go for their house salad which is great because it has a lot of veggies and I love their sesame balsamic dressing. My next go to is their pizza, I do a create my own and always mix it up, they added grilled pineapple as a topping and it makes an awesome addition to the pizza. Their bruschetta is delicious but beware, very garlicky!
My only complaint would be the service, more often than not the servers are not attentive, this could be a problem with management assigning them too many tables or just hiring people that aren't experienced. At a place where I am dropping a fair amount of money, I like to not have to ask for water refills etc. Really I'd just recommend not going on a weekend night to hopefully avoid this problem.

Boulder, Colorado
“Keep Going Back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We're locals who are regulars at Carelli's. It has a wonderful atmosphere - fireplace warm and invitiing in winter, and huge windows that open to the outdoors in summer. The food is consistently good, and it's an insiders secret that they make one of the best burgers in town. However, it's hard to order a burger when there are so many other delicious options. I love the appetizer mussels (which I have as an entree), the eggplant parmesan, Greek salad, dessert crepes ... and the list goes on. My husband loves the pasta dishes. We generally sit at the bar and the service is always friendly and prompt. My husband had his office dinner here in December, and our party of 14 was treated just as promptly and courteously as we are when we sit at the bar. Everyone from the office thoroughly enjoyed their dinner and said they'd love to return. That's just what we keep doing!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Arlene H
Eagle, Idaho
“Should have a higher rating in Boulder!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have family in Boulder so get there a few times a year. This is the second time at Carelli's and even better experience this time. There was four of us and the Boulder resident eats there from time to time but the three of us do not have the opportunity so we were glad we were trying it again. Service was very personable, he was great, very personable and attended to our every need and was always close by to help. And, it was really busy on that Thursday night @ 7:00PM. We did not have a reservation but was seated in 45 minutes. We were okay with that, they were moving them through as good as they could.
The food was excellent, sauces used great, and one of us had the eggplant parmigiana and said it was the best she had ever eaten.
Great food and service and very nice restaurant! What more could you ask for?

Reading
“Great food and service each time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've been visiting Boulder on business for 10 years and only last month found Carelli's....great food and service and now the cold weather is here the fire pit adds real cosiness. As far as Im concerned it was sex on a plate