“Keep Going Back”

Carelli's of Boulder
Ranked #37 of 572 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boulder, Colorado
“Keep Going Back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We're locals who are regulars at Carelli's. It has a wonderful atmosphere - fireplace warm and invitiing in winter, and huge windows that open to the outdoors in summer. The food is consistently good, and it's an insiders secret that they make one of the best burgers in town. However, it's hard to order a burger when there are so many other delicious options. I love the appetizer mussels (which I have as an entree), the eggplant parmesan, Greek salad, dessert crepes ... and the list goes on. My husband loves the pasta dishes. We generally sit at the bar and the service is always friendly and prompt. My husband had his office dinner here in December, and our party of 14 was treated just as promptly and courteously as we are when we sit at the bar. Everyone from the office thoroughly enjoyed their dinner and said they'd love to return. That's just what we keep doing!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Arlene H

Eagle, Idaho
“Should have a higher rating in Boulder!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have family in Boulder so get there a few times a year. This is the second time at Carelli's and even better experience this time. There was four of us and the Boulder resident eats there from time to time but the three of us do not have the opportunity so we were glad we were trying it again. Service was very personable, he was great, very personable and attended to our every need and was always close by to help. And, it was really busy on that Thursday night @ 7:00PM. We did not have a reservation but was seated in 45 minutes. We were okay with that, they were moving them through as good as they could.
The food was excellent, sauces used great, and one of us had the eggplant parmigiana and said it was the best she had ever eaten.
Great food and service and very nice restaurant! What more could you ask for?

• Visited December 2013
Reading
“Great food and service each time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've been visiting Boulder on business for 10 years and only last month found Carelli's....great food and service and now the cold weather is here the fire pit adds real cosiness. As far as Im concerned it was sex on a plate

• Visited December 2013
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Wonderful atmosphere and drinks, food a bit disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I went my first night on a recent trip to Boulder to Carelli's, which has a great reputation. I am a vegetarian, and I go to Italian restaurants often because they usually have so many options for me. I should have made a reservation, as it was packed, but I ended up sitting at the bar. The bar tender was fabulous, and good selection of wines. I had two courses, which both lacked imagination and flavor. They were good, but were not something I would order again. Having spent quite a bit of time in Italy, I expect fresh foods, and great tastes, often done by using fresh herbs, good oils, and a pinch of some secret of the cook. The USA usually overcooks marinara ( like at Carelli's) and uses too much cheese, or shelf ingredients that are not fresh.
i'lll bet Carelli's could do better, and it may be that they are most known for their carnivore dishes... don't know. But the service, the friendly smiles, and the atmosphere are something to return for!

• Visited November 2013
Masonville, Colorado, United States
“Once again, it was perfect.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

It takes a good team to run a restaurant, and it's always satisfying when they perform as a well-(olive) oiled machine...my second visit was just as excellent as my first a year ago. Both were family birthday celebrations.

The front of house was well organized, with our table available instantly upon our arrival.

My Risotto di Mare was perfectly seasoned, with each element (shrimp, scallops and mussels) at the perfect level of done-ness.

Service was again impeccable; Our server has a great knowledge of the menu, good advice on affordable wines, was not hovering or patronizing, but attentive and instantly arriving after a quick glance across a large room.

My only complaint is that the room seems dauntingly noisy upon first arriving, but the careful placement of ceiling acoustics actually makes conversation at normal levels easy.

The food and wine are a bit pricey, but this is Boulder and you get what you pay for. I'll be back.

• Visited October 2013