“A "Can Miss"”

Haoway Chinese Cafe
Ranked #410 of 581 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This place got a couple good reviews here and on Yelp as a local hole-in-the-wall, so I thought it would be worth a try. It wasn't. Undistinguished Americanized Chinese carry-out, not even well-prepared. The shrimp lo mein had a heavy brown sauce, but was passable. The firecracker chicken had a heavy, syrupy brown sauce, with gristly chicken, thick with dough. A few tired, overcooked vegetables in each. Egg rolls obviously packaged, and fried in old oil. Can't imagine how they've survived so long.

There are newer reviews for Haoway Chinese Cafe

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have been eating @ Haoway for about 14 years. The owners Quinn and Van are amazing. The food is always fresh because they go through so much of it. I see delivery trucks there all the time.

I recommend anything on the menu but if you don't see something you like just ask and they'll do their best to accommodate. I'm a BIG fan of the kung-pao anything and the sesame chicken. But the best dish they serve are the hand made pan fried chicken dumplings....OMFG I can just eat them for a meal and I'm set.

No place in Boulder matches the value they provide. For $6 you can get a full lunch from the buffet. If they made Shanghai Soup Dumplings I'd change my 4 stars to 5.

Love you guys

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I had the moo shu tofu and it was well-prepared but kind of boring. It was supposed to include four pancakes, but these were tortillas! My friend's son had the fried dumplings - those looked very good and had a really interesting dipping sauce. My freind had the Szechuan chicken - chicken was cooked well and the vegetables were crisp-tender. The sauce was a rather odd bright red, which I haven't seen before. They were doing a pretty brisk take-out service.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 24, 2007

good for after football games. get the hot and sour soup

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook