“OK neighborhood pub/restaurant.”

Cuisines: American, Irish, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I live only a few blocks away from the Hungry Toad. It is not considered a destination restaurant in Boulder at all. It's just a fun, local pub/restaurant. Kids are permitted, the place gets noisy due to poor acoustics, and sometimes the service is slow. But the drink varieties are fun, the specials are good for those knowing their ales/stouts/etc., and the food is varied and ok. The place is casual, with TVs over the bar area and some outside seating available during the summer. The outside seating is simply sidewalk seating with little view of the mountains that lie not too many blocks away.

Boulder has a wonderful array of restaurants for nearly every taste and palate preference. The Pearl Street Mall is loaded with eateries and offers perhaps the easiest "real Boulder feel" available. It's a pedestrian mall with lots of art galleries, shops, bookstores, etc. It's a destination place both night and day all year round, vibrant and full of buskers, musicians, and sidewalk vendors. It is the quintessential Boulder.

The newer, more commercial Twenty-Ninth Street Mall, a name that makes locals shudder at its lack of creativity, is also adorned with restaurants, but the ambience of Twenty-Ninth Street doesn't compare to that of Pearl Street.

There are newer reviews for Hungry Toad

Reviewed February 14, 2012

This fun venue just a step away from the main stream Pearl St is worth the short detour.parking is relatively easy in the side streets. It's quite large inside and is decorated with old advertising memorabilia from the UK and lots of cartoons about Toads! They feature local micro brews, Coca Mole hit the spot for me that freezing evening, rather than Guinness, but there's quite a choice. The food is pub style and has lots of British favorites like Bangers and Mash, Shepherd's Pie, and the best Fish and Chips I've had in a while. Of course you can have burgers and chimichangas,steaks or curry and our table had a good selection, all of which were really tasty. They do have 'smaller' plates if you're not so hungry but we all were. They threatened a wait while they made up a new batch of French Onion Soup but it was hardly any time at all and I think we polished off that whole batch and left the next orders waiting! It really is that good! It's a family friendly place but not noisy and there is room to park the strollers. Definitely worth 'hopping ' over !

1  Thank palmpirate
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We used to love eating here. Then it started with very poor service about a year ago when our server decided it was more important to flirt with the cook than bring us our food. The appetizer came out with the meal. Then the service was hit and miss, but we went anyway because the food was good. Now, the food has started to go downhill. This past time my burger tasted like dishwashing soap. It was awful. Too bad, but no longer a restaurant I could recommend.

1  Thank Glenda R
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We needed a place to deliver 11 meals. Hungry Toad fit the bill. Our team ordered a variety of entres with the Tuna Avocado Melt getting the highest reviews. Other good choices included the Santa Fe burger, Steak Burrito, BBQ Chicken Sandwich and Chili & Cheese Baked Potato. The Fish & Chips received an "ok, but not great".

Reviewed August 22, 2011

But now, not so much. This is my local pub that has served the neighborhood and me for many years. They still have good fries and the service is friendly. My girlfriend and I have been walking down the block for Sunday brunches for a while now and we've seen the quality of their food quickly decline. About a month ago, I had eggs benedict, probably against good wisdom, which made me sick for days. We avoided the spot until yesterday and the food was really thrown together this time. My burger was raw, despite having been ordered medium and tasted "off". My girlfriend's eggs were unbelievably greasy. This place is fun and local but they need to get back on track as far as food goes.