“greay breakfast”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My pick for best, most consistent quality breakfast in Boulder. Hot fresh quality meals with great, strong coffee. Eggs Marcos (with banana nut pancakes) is my fall back choice but I've tried most of the menu and love the flavor and quality of most everything. Enjoy!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I've always wondered what a truly "Boulder" diner would be like. Dots is excellent, but somehow not Boulder enough. The Village Cafe is too New York, but also excellent. The Walnut Cafe, however, is TRULY a BOULDER Diner! I don't understand why the other reviewers are complaining about noise ... IT'S A DINER! What would you expect? In fact, I didn't even really notice the noise level! The place is very gay-friendly, which made me feel extremely comfortable. The food selection is AMAZING, and I HAD to order the French Toast dipped in pancake batter - YUM! Real maple syrup is $2 extra (I was told it was $1.50, but showed up as $2 on the bill). Food came out super fast, despite the place being crowded.

Two complaints: I sat at the counter. While my waitresses were super friendly and nice, I tried to strike up a conversation with some of the other waitresses who were literally waiting around not doing much, and I was basically ignored in a rather "diner-esque" unfriendly way. Didn't bother me, but they should take note of this. Also, bringing the bill out while eating implies "please get out soon and don't order anything else", which I ended up doing because I wanted to take some soup home. It was no problem, but as a diner, it bothers me to get the feeling that a place JUST wants my money and wants me to get out as fast as possible. On the plus side, having the soup later that night on a snowy day was the PERFECT dinner! The Hungarian Mushroom and Split Pea was super flavorful and hearty. Thanks!

1  Thank ughughCO
Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you are visiting Boulder, this place is worth checking out for breakfast. You might have to wait for a table, but it is worth it. It is close to The Marriott and The Millenium Hotel in a strip mall off of 30th. The menu is very creative and they have booths and outdoor seating (sunny and south facing). The portions are generous and the food is good. My only complaint about this place is that the music is loud and more suited to the folks working than the folks eating at times. I realize that the servers and cooks have been working and drinking coffee since dawn, but the tunes should be geared a little more to the customer who has rolled out of bed at 10am to head to the Walnut.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Walnut Cafe has the feel of a community diner which can be quite fun.... and loud sometimes. The menu is extensive and has options for many different dietary needs. As a vegetarian I really enjoy the Boulder Scramble with Breakfast Potatoes. And the option to sit inside or outside is always a delight as well. The views of the mountains are lovely! And blankets are provided for those who opt for outside when the weather is a little chilly. Walnut Cafe is unique and fun.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Welcome to Boulder-Land where anyone can be pleased in this special breakfast spot. We've tried many during our years in Boulder, but this remains our favorite return-to spot. We eat here weekly. You don't have to shy away from the menu, any friend or business associate or family member can be pleased and surprised by a menu that is as good for meat lovers as it is for vegans and other types. Tucked away in a strip mall near 29th street mall, stop by on your next Boulder visit. I love the pancakes, blueberry cornbreak and perfectly cooked egg whites. The hubby has tried all of the Mexican varieties with hardy fillings. The pies which change regularly are especially great with the non stop coffee service. Friendly wait staff. Usually hopping and sometimes a wait list, but that's part of the fun.