“Very good food, sketchy service”
Review of Walnut Cafe

Walnut Cafe
Ranked #45 of 582 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I visit the original Walnut Cafe (on 30th) several times each year when traveling through Boulder. Last weekend was perfect for an early breakfast outside, so off to the Walnut. I entered the restaurant to be seated, per the sign, and was flagrantly ignored by two employees having a conversation over the cash register. One finally noticed me and I was seated outside. The meal was delicious, as usual, in spite of the uninspired service. My coffee drink (a cappuccino) was finally delivered around the time I finished the large breakfast, with not even an apology to acknowledge the long delay.

Very disappointing overall. I felt taken for granted as I handed over my money (and left a tip). The laid back approach to restaurant management can be taken too far, as seemed to occur in this case.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had a very good lunch at this very Boulder style cafe in a strip mall. The BLT's were impeccable with great fresh tomato taste and crisply toasted whole wheat. The wait staff looked like characters from "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," and were very friendly and helpful. The highlight of the meal was dessert. Fresh pies are listed on the menu boards, and are erased as they run out for the day...a good sign to start with. We ordered pecan, key lime, and coconut cream. All were fantastic, hitting the right balance of sweetness so the featured flavor of the pie was not overwhelmed by sugar. the coconut was creamy, the key lime had just the right amount of lime without bitterness, and you could taste the Eagle Brand. But the king of them all was the pecan, again, not too sweet, not too fatty, with a generous 1/2" plus layer of diced pecans. It was heavenly, probably the best pecan pie I have ever tasted. If you feel like a little dessert treat from time to time, this is the place to get it in Boulder.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Sandwiches are really tasty and fresh. Very casual crowd. The staff is young and pleasant. Really fast service and fantastic pie!! Great value too.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I'm hooked....it's just minutes away and Walnut Cafe (South) is the best breakfast experience I've ever had. Open from 7-3:30 it seems to be packed until almost closing which is when I go there for "breakfast". My usual is 2 eggs over easy, toast, VERY crisp bacon, and coffee. I am never disappointed. The service is friendly and efficient and I have never heard a complaint from fellow diners who run the gamut from Yuppies with little kids to old fogies like me. Familly says omelets are superb as well!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

this is a great place for breakfast. The place is in a small strip mall type of area that is easy to miss. The service was just OK, but the food was delicious. The price was very reasonable and the portions are generous.

Been to Walnut Cafe? Share your experiences!