“Go here only if you want to debate the fine art of stir-frying”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden Lotus - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go here only if you want to debate the fine art of stir-frying”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The shrimp was cooked perfectly, but the rest of the food was either non-existent or passable at best. But whatever, I'm not one to complain. Until you miff me.

I finish but my server becomes busy with I-don't-know-what, but I’ve gotta run. I look around for her but figure it’s ok for me to approach the register to pay since that’s not an unheard of practice in Chinese restaurants. Or am I just nuts?

Evidently, I am nuts because this flusters the hostess/owner who now has to retrieve my check. I notice the check includes pork I didn’t get and I casually comment on this. Now she has a 5-minute conversation, in Chinese, with the host/owner/husband about ME and MY CHECK. I’m sorry, but since I am not in China, this miffs me a little…

I patiently wait for them to stop speaking Chinese about MY bill and to speak to ME. Except now it has become apparent they think I am trying to get out of paying for the entire bill. Now I'm miffed AND mortified. All I really want to do now is leave, quickly and quietly. But the hostess/owner will have none of that. “Was everything ok?”

“Just lie,” I tell myself, “Say everything was fine.” But no, my miff and mort propel me to quietly comment that the stir-fry wasn't up to par. She prods.. wants more information. Really? Did I just do this to myself?

OK, fine then. “What’s with the brown sauce? And too much of it? Why weren’t the veggies crisper as they should be when actually stir-fried and not steamed by brown sauce?"

What SHOULD she have done? We all know the answer to that. But what DID she do? She asked me if this was my first visit to her restaurant. What was my answer? “Yes, first time.”

What was I THINKING? We all know the answer to that one, too: “Ya, first and LAST time, lady!”

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank cstowe66

Boulder, Colorado
“Good food, indifferent service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Friday night 7:30 and place is only 1/3 full. Seated quickly and restaurant decor is quite nice. Water and menus immediately and then nothing. We waited over 10 minutes for a waiter. My wife had actually gotten up to ask what was going on when the waiter sauntered out of the kitchen. He was nice, polite and efficient but didn't seem to be aware that we had been abandoned for quite a while. The food was pretty good cashew chicken and garlic pork. We ordered fried rice and brown rice and could not tell the difference.

• Visited June 2013
Boulder, Colorado
“Mediocre Chinese Restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Golden Lotus features a standard selection of basic Chinese dishes. There is nothing remarkable here. The restaurant's interior is pleasant, albeit dated and rarely crowded. Delivery is an option and usually takes an hour. Take out is not any faster. The service is inconsistent yet friendly. The dishes tend to be a bit heavy on the sauce. A request for gluten-free options elicited the response that "everything without brown sauce is gluten-free".....Really? Even the pot-stickers and wontons? I know there must be better options in Boulder.

• Visited January 2013
Texas
“Food was very good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

On my very recent trip to Rocky Mtn NP (in fact I am on the road now going back home), I found myself in Boulder and craving Chinese food. So. I started my Maps app on the iphone and plugged in "Chinese restaurant". Among the several options that popped up on the map within a few blocks of my location was the Golden Lotus which was actually located a few blocks up on the same street I was traveling.

First off, I like the way they do the menu. They list Sweet and Sour, szechaun, etc and offer each in your choice of beef chicken or shrimp and in the case of sweet and sour, combination of the three meats. That's what I got the combo sweet and sour with all three meats.

The egg rolls were perfect with a slightly crispy roll, the rice wasn't sticky gooey, and there was more meat than batter on the main entree. The meats were served with the sweet and sour poured over them. I suppose this is a matter of choice, but some restaurants serve the meat(s) bare with the S&S sause on the side so that the diner can control the amount applied. I prefer the latter but I like Chinese so well that I don't let this serving difference get in the way of my enjoyment. The tea was good also.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank rfkiii
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Fairly standard Chinese menu, but good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I were on our way to a Whole Foods just to grab deli food, but this place caught our eye and we took a chance on it. We ended up ordering snow peas and chicken in brown sauce and cashew chicken ($10 each for the two entrees) and an order of two pork rolls ($3). The pork rolls were crisp and tasty, and both entrees were also good. Also, the waiter was very attentive. There was nothing spectacular about the dining experience that would earn it the very top rating, but the food was very good, the prices were reasonable, and the service was fine, hence the rating I did give it.

• Visited July 2012