“Solid pick, but you can get better in the area”
Review of Walnut Brewery - CLOSED

Walnut Brewery
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Boulder bus terminal is located two blocks east of the Walnut Brewery.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

A solid pick, which I would rate a 4 without regrets if it were located outside Boulder. But in town, you can find better food for the price, and a few local breweries that are at least of comparable quality. Positive aspects are the convenient downtown location and the relative lack of crowds (try getting a seat at Avery or Southern Sun at peak hours...)

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had the Southwest Egg Rolls, and the New York Strip Bourbanzola. Both were really good. The bourbanzola topping on the steak was a not-to-miss extra. The handcrafted beers were well done also.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stopped in at the Walnut Brewery yesterday afternoon with plans for one beer and then to mosey on down the road to the next stop or two that I had checked out on Trip Advisor. One beer here, one beer there, then a beer and meal at the third stop. Turns out that I never made it to the other two stops.

I came in during happy hour. Discounted finger foods started talking to me trying to convince me that I should eat sooner rather than later. First I ordered a pint of their Old Elk Brown Ale, while I argued with my stomach and the happy hour menu. The Brown was very good. About half way down the glass, I decided that food would make it taste even better.

I ordered the appetizer sampler; Southwest Egg Rolls, Jalapeño Spinach Cheese Dip, and Chips & Guacamole. The guac was freshly made and very good (although pretty mild, not spicy). The Cheese Dip was also good on wither the chips or the egg rolls. The Southwestern rolls were very meaty and spicy - and quite tasty. This was definitely a meal for one person, and for under 10 bucks.

While eating the sampler platter, I also ordered a beer sampler. Six different choices ranging from a fruity seasonal ale to a red ale and a stout. They were all pretty good, but I think the Old Elk was my favorite of the seven I tasted.

The place was almost empty. This was a Tuesday right after normal work hours. A few of the locals who were sitting close by commented that it was strange to see the place so empty. I sat at the bar and had attentive service from the bartender. I'll be back if I'm ever in Boulder again.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

While the bar / restaurant is a block away from the main "pedestrian area", it is quite nice and certainly less crowded. Good average menu and drink selection - standard pricing, nice interior design. Only negative point (at my visite) has been a team of very slow acting waiters (male and female). I actually had to find the waitresse to be able to pay and leave.
As said other members of tripadvisor: staff is THE issue in this place

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I hadn't been here in 20yrs, but we went here as someone in our party preferred pubs, and I remembered it being pretty good. They mentioned that they had gone their once before but left without ordering due to slow service, but we thought we'd give it another chance. Unfortunately what I encountered was a couple young girls (hostess and waitress) with attitude and little desire to be helpful. I literally got a scoff from the waitress when I asked if they had a gluten free menu or could guide me on which items would be gluten free. They must be the last restaurant in Boulder and the Denver Metro who doesn't accommodate this kind of request. Ultimately our table felt the food was fine, but no one was overly excited. Won't be going back.