“Gone but not forgotten.”
Review of John's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
John's
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
“Gone but not forgotten.”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The food was amazing, the service top-notch. Unfortunately John's has closed its doors. As far as I know there are no plans to relocate or reopen. I will update this review if I hear of anything new but I'm sorry to say that it looks like Boulder has lost one of its truly great restaurants.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank BoulderLuke

Colorado
“True French Cuisine”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

There arent many ethnic restaurants in Colorado. I've always looked at John's as authentic French cuisine, although they refer to it as Haute cuisine. (it is listed under traditional American food.) I think it is the attention to detail, like the sauces, that makes me feel this way. It looks like a small house on the outside, and is a bit old, but the decor and smallness of it makes for a romantic experience. It can be very expensive ($100/person) if you include fine wine. Some tables were too close together. The attentive service is the what you'd expect from a top restaurants. There are few restauants that I go to that I can literally see or hear other people around me who seemed to be savoring each bite, as I was. I understand that, after 36 yrs. they are moving to a new location, to open spring 2013.

Visited September 2012
Dallas
“Unexpected Elegance & Phenomenal Customer Service”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I read several reviews on John's before making reservations and was happy to have a fabulous experience there. I was not expecting the restaurant to have such a formal feel, but the service was outstanding. Our waiter was extremely attentive and provided great feedback on the dining choices. We started with the big eye tuna appetizer and the mixed greens salad. The tuna with the lime and cilantro was tasty and the salad was also refreshing.

Our waiter also brought an unexpected course to the table to sample, a cup of butternut squash soup (so delicious and perfect on the chilly night). For the entrée I had a special, pumpkin risotto with diver scallops which was also amazing.

Overall the dinner was excellent! Highly recommend John's to anyone visiting the Denver area!

• Visited October 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Expensive, but very good food.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Situated in a small cottage, but on a rare freezing October night, it was extremely cosy. I had the fois gras (not p.c. I know, but I love it!), followed by tuna, both very good. I am a great pud person, but there was nothing out of the ordinary to tempt me, although the others shared a trio of taster puds which they enjoyed. The service was almost overpowering, but others may like this. The wine list was excellent and we enjoyed a very good Huia Sauvignon Blanc and a S. Australian Cabernet Sauvignon, though they were expensive. I gather they are moving to new premises in the New Year, Pearl St I think. I hope they keep the atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012
colorado
“Our favorite in Boulder - excellent every time”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We've been here on many occassions now and just love John's. The service is always excellent but not formal. Somehow they manage to find waitstaff with just the right blend of quirk and experience. Everything is always perfectly timed. The food is always outstanding. The one time we mentioned that one of the dishes for the six course menu was a bit salty the chef sent us a complimentary after dinner drink. Classy! The mushroom entree and scallop main are two of our favorite dishes.

The atmosphere is really nice - white table cloths, ambient lighting, but not at all stuffy. Again, we think perfect.

Would highly recommend and will definitely go again.

• Visited December 2011