“Liked but not overwhelmed !”
Review of L'Atelier

L'Atelier
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Atelier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 574 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 18th & Pearl
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Liked but not overwhelmed !”
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I guess my expectations were too high.....left a little disappointed. The apps were good, salad was good, but the entrees were average. Our server was unattentive and busy with an 8 top so it took 25 minutes to get any drinks. This is not in the top 10 in Boulder .....you can find better.

Boulder, Colorado
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I had the pleasure of enjoying a wonderful meal last night at L'Atelier. A friend offered to treat me at any restaurant i wanted in Boulder and I chose this one. While Frasca across the street is often excellent, I have found it to be less consistently excellent than L'Atelier and L'Atelier provides a better value than Frasca on both the food and wine list. I started with a delicious foie gras mixed with basil red cabbage and kiwi, paired with a nice muscat, and had the Lobster Meuniere served over a perfectly cooked risotto for the entree. An absolutely awesome Super Tuscan washed it all down. A fabulous dish for a chilly night. Looking forward to my next visit.

• Visited November 2012
Naples, FL
“Great Boulder Option”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great food and service almost directly across the street from Frasca (who gets most of the national press) but this elegant restaurant does not have to take a back seat to anyone. Enjoy...we have, just not this latest trip.......need a longer weekend!

Visited November 2012
Washington
“Best French Restaurant for hundreds of miles.”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The food was spectacular and the service was very nice. The veal for dinner and the Pate appetizer were to die for but the piece de resistance was the cheesecake. I can't describe it you'll just have to order it.

Visited November 2012
Europe
“Don't forget your pen”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I wish my other half had seen the review from Sastillman before booking. I think we had a repeat of their experience! It was my birthday and he booked a surprise dinner for me. I did not know he had told them it was my big day, as I am not a fan of people knowing that I'm getting yet another year older. We arrived and the greeting was perfunctory at best. We were seated at the same table as another reviewer - and had to deal with the breeze and traffic. I was disappointed by the decor. It's pretty bland and has little figurines in glass windows. Yes, I know what an atelier is. This was tacky and not what I was envisioning when I discovered the name.
We ordered our starters and some wine. The food was faultless. Lobster ravioli and salmon. We then ordered our mains and I asked our server for some recommendations on the wine. I was told 'just have this one'. I asked why - hoping for some explanation on what it would highlight in the dish. 'It tastes best to me'. Ah, great. What an explanation. Isn't this a top-end French restaurant? Where's the sommelier? My other half asked for more bread as well, to go with our mains.
The mains arrived and we started. They, too, were faultless. No bread came. No one even came by to ask how it was. No one caught our eye. We were right in the line of traffic...Finally, when he had less than 4 bites left, the bread arrived. Pathetic.
We decided to just get a dessert wine, which I was happy with. I think my other half thought they would bring out a candle or wish me a happy birthday. I do this to him every year and he wanted some revenge. Nothing. They didn't even wish me a happy birthday.
Time for the bill. We got the bill and paid by card. It was returned for him to sign. They forgot to include a pen. We waited ten minutes and then I told him I was going to the ladies. I'd flag someone en route so we could get out of there. I stopped one water guy and asked if he could kindly deposit a pen for my other half. When I returned from the loo, there was my guy, sans stylo. We then asked our server, the one who took ages to bring the bread. After over 20 min we were able to sign the bill and get out - fast.
Great food, horrible service that left us both feeling very let down and neglected. The stellar food keeps me from giving a 2.

• Visited October 2012