“Great food, wine, service, view”

Flagstaff House Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 593 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Monette family welcomes you to Flagstaff House restaurant, an unparalleled Colorado dining experience. Co-owners Don Monette, and his sons Mark and Scott Monette, combine a multi-award-winning wine list from their 15,000 bottle wine cellar, exquisite French-American cuisine and impeccable service with the personal touches of a family-owned restaurant.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Title says it all. Servers extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating. The seafood was excellent, hard to believe they are so far from the oceans yet have such fresh seafood. The view is fantastic, I even saw deer grazing just outside the window.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had been engaged and married at the Flagstaff and had returned to celebrate on a number of occasions. This time, originally we had made a reservation and requested a table by the window (with a view - we told them it was our anniversary celebration and we had been engaged and married there) . We were told that would be accommodated. Unfortunately, the evening of that reservation, the reservation was cancelled by the Flagstaff - very understandably due to the flooding in Boulder. We rescheduled for the next week and asked again about getting a table by the window. This time we were told that tables were given out on a first-come-first-serve basis but given the earlier cancellation and our anniversary, they would try to accommodate.

We arrived - table was not near a window and did not have any kind of appreciable view. But, we set that issue aside - there are after all only a limited number of tables by the window.

But, in the past we had been seated in the main dining room. This time, they sat us in the lower dining area. This area is simply more crowded - my chair was all but rubbing against the person next to me.. And, when the server was taking orders/talking at adjoining tables, it was loud enough to disturb our conversation. While I understand not every table can be a window table, the Flagstaff should really be embarrassed to have tables so close together but if they are going to do this, they should tell the servers to tone it down.

The prices, while always understandably high because the quality and reputation of the restaurant seemed even higher than in the past. I would have no complaint on that if the reasons to go to the Flagstaff were all there - great views, great service, great atmosphere and great food. But, I have already commented on the views. The service was good - I will say that. Absolutely no complaints. But, that should be a minimum from any restaurant experience. The atmosphere - crowded. And, the food -- well, it was simply OK. Many others have commented here about the food being simply OK to disappointing. In my view, it was simply OK. In our past experiences, it has been excellent. The presentation was much better than your average Outback but the presentation is only part of it. I had the salmon - it was salty and small. My wife seemed pleased with her steak - but she is also pleased at Outback.

Overall, I think the Flagstaff has too:

1) remove some tables and give people room especially in the lower dining area;
2) be more clear in their policy on getting a window table - if they are not going to accommodate the request, just say so. I don't believe there was really any attempt to accommodate my request. We would have still eaten there even if they said - sorry, first come, first serve on window tables although we would have made the reservation for earlier in the hopes of being first.
3) perhaps, review the food quality - it seems to have moved from great to OK. In the end, while service, views, atmosphere and presentation are part of a restaurant, people do go there to eat - and you can't continue to have just OK food and expect to keep high ratings.

1  Thank david54321
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was a surprise occasion for my wonderful husband's Birthday, I wanted everything to be perfect and it was! I asked for a table with a view, we were seated out on the patio, it was raining lightly and smelled so good and the views were beautiful! From the moment we drove up and were greeted by the valet, to the time we walked out, everyone was very friendly, helpful and professional! We can't say enough about the chefs at Flagstaff House, they are wonderful at what they do, the menu is the best we have ever seen, so many wonderful choices, everything we ordered was prepared to perfection, from the appetizers to the dessert menu and even the coffee with all the condiments! We have never had a meal that tasted this good before coming to Flagstaff House, it was as if we died and went to Heaven! Thanks to everyone at Flagstaff House that made this evening perfect, can't wait to come back again!

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We dined with my sister in law and her husband last night. As usual from the parking attendants to the service staff and the food all was excellent. We look for quality and excellence when we dine out and the Flagstaff House exemplifies and sets the bar for all others in CO. The oysters were the best I've ever had. With Gin? WOW. And I grew up on oysters from the right coast. All of us had different main courses an the wine pairing was perfect. Pricey? Not for this place. Consistency is also in the staff. Our server, Ryan has been our server before and is a perfect host with his direction of the other wait staff. I figure he's been there @ 16 years. That's a good place to keep quality staff for that long. Our compliments to the chef and kitchen staff also. We'll be back!!!! Jim and Dawn White, Denver

1  Thank Jim W
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I know that this a long time favorite - but average service, lack luster food and a mouse that ran in, made this anything but. After waiting for 20 minutes and the first course before we saw the sommelier and received wine we knew this would not go well. The foie gras while seared warm was cold inside and the potatoe crusted Halibut was good but served hot on a cold plate with a salad that must have come directly from the fidge. My husband's salmon was ok but with the prices and the rave reviews one would expect so much more than ok. I was almost willing to forgive the waiter sticking his finger in the butter and the long wait for wine pours - when a mouse made an appearance and ran down the stairs - I realize the restaurant is in the foothills with open doors but a mouse! We were served a pre-dessert of passion fruit flan lovely texture bad flavor, the coffee service comes with fancy sugars and whipped cream, petite fours are served after dessert - it seemed that the restaurant tried on all the wrong things. Beautiful views and a great wine list but everything else - disappointing !

2  Thank gowilton