“One of the best meals I've had”

Flagstaff House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Flagstaff House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 582 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American, Asian
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Monette family welcomes you to Flagstaff House restaurant, an unparalleled Colorado dining experience. Co-owners Don Monette, and his sons Mark and Scott Monette, combine a multi-award-winning wine list from their 15,000 bottle wine cellar, exquisite French-American cuisine and impeccable service with the personal touches of a family-owned restaurant.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

A group of 10 of us went to the Flagstaff House on a Sunday evening for a 50th birthday party. I wasn't sure what to expect since I hadn't been there for probably 25 years. I remember that the food then was not as great as the atmosphere, but this visit was absolutely top-notch in all respects. The food was outstanding (the halibut was probably the best fish dish I've ever had), the service was warm, friendly, and incredibly professional, and the setting is stunning. We had a private room, and as others have commented, it's a joy to experience the choreographed service. I hope to return sometime soon!

1  Thank MarkB33324

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I definitely agree with 'Anamari4'. We were first here over 30 years ago for a family reunion upon our return from 4 years in Europe. It was a real treat then, and still is. I do remember more wild game choices then; the menu has changed with the times, as it should. I'm glad to see the kitchen still has high standards and the food is still beautifully prepared and presented, and there is still a very fine cellar from which to choose a nice bottle of wine to accompany your dinner. What I'm really impressed with is that the wait staff is still second to none! I remember thinking on our first visit that their training was as good as what we'd experienced in some of the finest restaurants in France. My compliments!

1  Thank dboth
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My aunt took me here for a wonderful Saturday dinner. She said it was the best in Boulder and I can definitely see why. Beautiful restaurant with stunning views and a very comfortable ambience. People were dressed up in suits and ties and nice evening dresses, but I felt comfortable in leggings, a nice tunic and boots. The wine list is huge....160 pages and the sommelier said they had over 3000 bottles in the cellar that evening. We had a fabulous bottle of Jordan Chardonnay and the artisan cheeses as our starter. I had the barramundi fish entree, which was the perfect balance of fish and sautéed eggplant. She had the filet cooked medium rare, which was an amazing piece of beef and expertly prepared. In between courses they bring you small tasters from the chef to segue into the next course. We loved everything about this restaurant and meal and could not believe our bill was only slightly over $200. Quite a steal! And cannot wait to go back!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

One of the best meals we've had anywhere, the Flagstaff was perfect precision in fine form. I would readily return-- and with anticipation.

We were a large group of about 70 folks. Upon entry, we were met by many young, courteous, and professionally-driven staff presenting plentiful hors d'ourves and poured wine immediately coming into the door. The bar was more than ready to take our custom orders. These folks are serious about good food, drink, and service.

After some mingling, we sat down as the wait staff efficiently took our orders from a set list of salads and soups, six or seven entrees, and later, a very nice array of desserts. When the food came, it was served with quick and uniform precision after the older plates were predictably whisked away in quiet unison. The choreography was remarkable.

The food was excellent, outstanding, and satisfying. Every item was creative, thoughfully done, carefully prepared, and presented.

Our salads were fresh greens with candied pecans and a light dressing, served with softly fresh kalamata bread. Others opted for the cheese platter, soup, or other selections.

For the main course I had a very tender and flavorful filet mignon over creamed gold and sweet potatoes with braised greens and a cabernet reduction sauce. Every bite was absolutely delicious. Others in our party had the potato-crusted wild Alaskan halibut with roasted garlic, fresh cannelini beans and roasted bell peppers in a white truffle reduced balsamic sauce; the pancetta-wrapped and goat cheese filled natural chicken breast with wild matsutake mushroom risotto and grilled baby artichokes; the Ruby Red trout with wild caught scallops, salmon caviar, and quail eggs; or a delightfulfully prepared vegetarian dish comprising of 4 visually different and stunning items, among other menu choices. I mention the vegetarian dish only because so often times they are so uninspired and bland in thought and execution, but not here.

The desserts were, simply put, stunning, delicious, and delightfully different. The coffee presentation was also the most unique I've seen-- a plate with 10 or so different items are offered as unique additions to your coffee-- unusual sugar crystals of different colors and sizes, jellied fruits, chocolate beads and balls, and wonderfully whipped fresh cream, among others.

The chef knows exactly what he's doing and where he's going-- and is no cooking sherry-drinking 'rest on your laurels' slouch by any means, given the wide variety and exacting repertoire of the menu. The Flagstaff House seems to have perfected fine dining over many, many years and know what has intuitively worked well over time. Their impressive menu can be found on the sidebar here: http://www.flagstaffhouse.com/

Everyone was pleased. Every plate was eaten clean down to the last morsel Yes, it really was that good. One of the more perfect meals I've ever enjoyed. Flawless. It's no easy feat serving 80 people simultaneously and so well. My hat is off to the chef and staff.

Is it expensive? Yes, moderately so. However, paying for an expensive meal should be, in my mind, be worth every penny.

Was it? Yes. The Flagstaff House has high standards, excellent quality, and properly trained staff. It delivered more than satisfactorily.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great location...good service...amazing views...interesting menu and everything was prepared perfectly. I had the Buffalo Wellington...and will definitely go back for it again some time. Lots of attention to detail. Great dining experience.