“Simply stunning”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th
Description: A local institution since 1994, Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar is the first choice for fresh seafood in Boulder. Ranked top 25 Best Seafood Restaurants in America by Travel + Leisure Magazine. Our menus are crafted with sustainability in mind, using farm-fresh local ingredients and ocean-fresh seafood. Whether you join us for the first time or the 100th time, for dinner or happy hour at the raw bar, count on a vibrant and lively atmosphere. We bring the Coast to the Coastless.
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I chose this restaurant based on the classic advice from the man who sat next to me on the place from DFW to DEN. I was glad I listened and double checked the TA reviews.

It was simply stunning and whilst I made a mistake by choosing the crab as assumed it to be soft white meat and not the claws it was delicious and the starter of skid with a chili and ailoi sauce was one of the best dishes I have had anywhere in the world.

A n interesting mix of people from those on first dates through groups of friends and older couples.

One tip, book online - loads of availability and I cannot see why people waited hours rather than book the day before online.

Its hard to miss as has a narrow frontage but there is an amazing wine store across the road with a truly international range of wines and a great find in a state where supermarkets do not sell alcohol in store - you have to find the dreaded liquor stores. .

There are newer reviews for Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar

Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I are originally from families in Lafayette, LA and Mobile, AL respectively. After moving to Boulder last year, we entered Jax with low expectations for a seafood restaurant in CO. However, we were pleasantly surprised and have been back several times since. Once you accept that you can't get oysters and other fare for nearly as cheap as on the gulf coast, it is easy to appreciate the quality of Jax. The fried oysters are as good as any in the south and the gumbo isn't bad (that's is a compliment away from home). My only small complaints are that they don't serve an entree of shrimp&grits (appetizer version cost way too much for me to even try) and they got rid of their excellent black bean fritters which used to be served with the catfish. We'll definitely go back.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Buzzing busy with a great selection of seafood specialties. Not quite like being right off the pier but close. Was a bit too busy for us, but our preference is not for everyone. Will certainly be back.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Totally Boulder. The people that grew up here and 4th generation are not custom to the east coast or west coast ways as they try to push it on us.. To pricey as to normal Boulder standards. Take the east and west mentallity and go back to where your from...Boulder doesn't need this. This isn't Hollywood or downtown L.A. or N.Y.C.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The chefs have changed over the last few years and I would have given it 5 stars before. Jax is still the best place for seafood. Try the gumbo and key lime pie. If you have a large group and are looking for a fun activity reserve the Crab Boil in advance-you won't be disappointed.