“A little inconsistent in quality!”
Review of China Gourmet

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch
Boulder, Colorado
“A little inconsistent in quality!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

China Gourmet has been in Boulder for at least 20 years, in this same exact spot. After a long hiatus, I started going here again. They are always busy at dinner with a large take out crowd. This is a very casual, order at the counter establishment. I always get the sweet and sour crispy fried shrimp-lately it has not been consistently prepared-sometimes the peppers and carrots are much fresher than at other times. The shrimp batter can be a bit soggy or not, I think it is a better dish to eat in than try to take on a 20 minute drive across town. The sweet and sour sauce is delicious. The fortune cookies are crispy and delicious but they don't always add one to my order so make sure and ask for one. I need to try something different here. On cold nights the main interior of the restaurant can be drafty with two doors opening and shutting. Wine in small bottles and beer for purchase. On a recent visit, I noticed a back dining room, almost hidden from view that would be much warmer to eat in. The restroom could be a bit cleaner but it doesn't seem to stop people from coming here. This place seems to be a staple in Boulder. I almost always see someone I know here. Right next to Lucky's in north Boulder. Generous portions, good prices.

• Visited February 2014

Nederland, Colorado
“Very Good Low Cost Chinese Food”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I like this place , the Food is quite good . You can watch as they prepare it right there while you are in line to order. The scallion Pancakes are my favorites and the Sea Weed Soup. There are always a Specials and the are good. The usual selection of Chicken and Shrimp are there and fish. I do not eat Red meat but I think people say good thing about them. The Vegetarian things are good. The owner is very nice to me and I expect most people.they give you good value and no MSG ! Try the special some time it will be some education .

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Steven Y
Boulder, Colorado
“Best Chinese Food in Boulder”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

They don't take credit cards, they don't deliver and the decor is dated and boring, but this out of the way place is the best Chinese food in Boulder. They've been in the same location forever so others must think so also. Local for me, but worth a special trip if you want some good Chinese food without a lot of pretense. Great for takeout also.

• Visited December 2013
Forks, Washington
“Great hole in the wall”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is one of those little restaurants you always feel proud of yourself for finding. Just that little out of the way place with great food that is a neighborhood secret. We saw some good reviews (thanks everyone) so we went and tried them.

We just ate there for the first time and I will definitely be back. The food was quick, hot and tasty. I had the Kung Pao Chicken which is my usual dish in a Chinese restaurant I have not eaten in before. I don't like to get burnt out so I always order mild until I learn what they consider the hotter levels to be. In this case, it was too mild but that was my fault not theirs. Next time I'll know to get more spice. I liked everything else. The vegetables were fresh, there was a decent amount of chicken and the sauce was good. They also had brown rice available (and cooked just right). The person I was with also enjoyed their meal (cashew chicken w/ brown rice). The rice was served in one big bowl so we could help ourselves according to our respective appetites.

They are spending their money on the freshest ingredients and a good kitchen crew not on a waitstaff or decor. You order at the front counter (cash only) and seat yourself. When the food is ready you pick it up yourself at the counter in the dining room. They served it on a tray so it was easy to carry. Plates, utensils, napkins, glasses, pitchers of ice water, etc. are also at the counter for you to help yourself. They do have someone to bus tables although I noticed some folks clearing their own. That's OK with me, I'd rather eat where the quality of the food is the priority and carry my own meal. The meal was a lot cheaper than I expected and we both got enough food to have lunch the next day. Overall a great value.

I could tell this was a local favorite. It was very cold and icy midweek night and there was still a steady stream of people coming in, both to eat in and take out. We got there about 7:15pm and there were two groups ahead of us in line. No problem, the line moved as fast as people could give their orders and pay so we had a short wait, much less than I've spent in other places hoping the staff would notice me and seat me. The kitchen was also very quick. We were done eating (without hurrying) and left in less than 40 minutes much to our surprise.

The restaurant was clean.

We had some trouble locating them so here is how you find them: They have a Broadway address but can not be seen from Broadway. They are just to the east of Lucky's Market off North Broadway (that's the same little shopping center with North Boulder Liquor). You can park in front of Lucky's and walk down the stairs to a little plaza in front of the restaurant or go a bit further east on Quince Ave. and park in the lot beside them.

• Visited December 2013
Boulder, Colorado
“a notch above typical Americanized Chinese”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

China Gourmet is my go-to place for Chinese take-out. While it has all the usual dishes you'll find at nearly every Chinese restaurant in America (Mu Shu Pork, Kung Pao Chicken, Szechwan Beef, etc.), they are usually done much better than you'll typically find. But China Gourmet goes beyond the usual dishes with (what I'm told) is more traditional Shanghai food (Spicy Beef Tendon, Salty Duck, Crispy Garlic Chicken with Bone, etc.) -- these used to be on a special "blue" menu that one had to explicitly ask for, but they are now publicly available. So you can go there if looking for something different.

There is a very simple dining room that fills up at lunch and dinner, but I suspect half the customers are locals getting take-out. There is no bar, but a few beers are available. Be aware that no credit/debit cards are accepted, so best to come with cash. Definitely not high-end dining, but a very good choice when feeling like Chinese.

• Visited September 2013