“Easy, yummy, summertime Special Needs friendly”
Review of Native Foods Cafe

Native Foods Cafe
Ranked #52 of 573 Restaurants in Boulder
Description: Opened to the public May 29th, 2012!
Description: Opened to the public May 29th, 2012!
Superior, CO
“Easy, yummy, summertime Special Needs friendly”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We are a family of four dedicated vegetarian / vegan, so going in is a no-brainer. However, our youngest (6 years-old) has significant Special Needs, so we do approach restaus a little differently. There is limited outdoor seating, just two chairs per small table. At the suggestion of the workers, we pulled two tables together and our family of four were able to enjoy a lovely lunch outside.

Inside is noisy (lots of hard surfaces) and, at least the day we visited, congested. We didn't risk it but I'm concerned it would've been Sensory overload for our youngest. He is occasionally in a wheelchair (wasn't the time we went) and I'm not sure how that would've worked out inside, either .... Regardless, we had a great time sitting outside with our fantastic Boulder late-spring weather.

The restaurant is set up so that you walk up to a counter, place your order + pay (inc. tip), and then you are given (empty) cups (if you are getting drinks) and a number to put on your table. **IF YOU HAVE SMALL CHILDREN WITH YOU** getting drinks and pushing the stroller / manhandling the kids / whatever will be a pain and difficult. Now, once you get to your table and the server brings you your food, they kindly offer to go and refill your drink, which is nice and helpful. But getting the first drink can be tricky if your hands are full for whatever reason.

The food was yummy -- our eldest was particularly taken with the island jack fritters, confidently stating that "next time, that's all [he's] ordering." We also got Native Chicken Wings because as longterm vegs know, fried chicken is hard to replicate. This was okay, better than most. Our youngest had the mac + cheese, and he seemed to like it. My husband had the Rockin' Moroccan Bowl and wasn't pleased -- said it was mostly grilled, slightly bland veggies: he won't order it again. I had a taco salad and it was fine, not too unlike what I make at home, which dulled its luster a bit as if I can make it at home why go out (and pay) for it?

Unfortunately, the one thing we didn't try was dessert (we were full!) but we have heard that it is fantastic, so next time we'll start with dessert (which tends to me Life Motto as I have sugarbetes). We've also heard (first-hand) that the sandwiches, particularly the reuben, are great. We make a pretty mean reuben here at home, so we'll see .... But dessert, then sandwiches (and island jack fritters) will be on for next time.

We had a few different drinks: my eldest and husband preferred the lavender lemonade whilst my youngest was wild about the watermelon fresca -- I tried it and liked it. It has a lot of pulp in it, so texturally it is interesting. If you don't like texture in your drinks then it is NOT for you.

So, while the food we had that first time didn't WOW us, we are delighted it exists right here in our backyard and are looking forward to returning.

• Visited May 2013

Sugar Land, Texas
“My first vegetarian experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Their menu looked very interesting so we decide to give it a try. This is a walk-up to the counter, order, and pay - great for groups of friends eating together. The counter staff were helpful and friendly.
We ordered nachos, "chicken" run sandwich, and a Thai salad. FYI- their portions are generous. All items were fresh made to order and tasted great! Don't miss the fresh watermelon-ade, or the lavender-lemonade - very good!
Give this place a try!

Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Native Foods Cafe”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Native Foods is excellent. My wife and I ate twice at the Boulder restaurant in June 2012. I had the Oklahoma "bacon cheeseburger" and it was superb. The second meal, I had the Bangkok curry bowl, and though tasty and full of great vegetables and rice, was not as peppy as I expected. But there are many items on the menu that should fit a range of tastes.

• Visited July 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Vegan, vegetarian or dieting on vacation? This place is worth checking out!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you are staying at the Marriott or the Millennium and you are looking for fast vegan food, this place is worth checking out. It is 100% vegan (no meat, chicken, fish, eggs, or dairy) and they have great service. The folks at the counter are very patient and kind and work well with people with food allergies. This is still a "fast-food" restaurant (thus not perfect), but the concept and intention is wonderful. The nachos cannot be beat! They are the best vegan nachos I have ever eaten. The lavender lemonade is also delicious.

• Visited February 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Such fresh food!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Both our meals were served quickly, Very fresh and excellent flavors! Enjoyed the menu choices so we will be back. Very clean.

• Visited January 2013