“Church Basement Ladies was a HOOT!”

Boulder's Dinner Theatre
Ranked #2 of 14 Concerts & Shows in Boulder
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Church Basement Ladies was a HOOT!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went to see this production with our daughter and some friends and had a delightful time. We've been to other productions at the Boulder Dinner Theater and love the regular troupe, the food and the way that tables are laid out. I had the potato crusted fish and it was great. Others in our party had chicken cordon bleu and beef stroganoff, both were also very good. As appetizers we had the hummus and shrimp cocktails which were also tasty. The bread is way better than you would expect.

Church Basement Ladies had us rolling with laughter. If you like theater, this production, the setting and the good food would make for a great evening.

Visited May 2013

lafayette, co
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great shows.”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Not a bad seat in the house. Great entertainment while you dine. Casual or dressy--both acceptable. Loved the mexican dish we ordered.

Visited September 2012
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Not Worth It”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

On 4/20/13, we went to see “Church Basement Ladies” with two other couples, and we were seated at a tiny table for 6 in the front center (premium tickets). Tickets were $56 each plus a $3 handling charge, so $354 for the table.

The play was very funny and well acted by a team of 5 actors. If you grew up Lutheran in the 1960s, there was a lot to recognize. (It’s based on the funny book, “Growing Up Lutheran”.) I would see the play again, but not at the BDT.

Having read the reviews about the food, I’m glad we paid attention and had drinks and appetizers at home! As a person who has bought Schwanns food (entrees and desserts) for many years, I know it when I see it. And, I also know what it costs! They announce at least 2-3x that 1/3 of your ticket is your meal and to tip on that, not the final bill of “extras”. Our couple tickets cost $118…so our meal was theoretically $35. Comparing our meals to Applebees 2 for $20 or the Olive Gardens 2 for $25 and what you get at BDT… they should be ashamed of themselves!

For $35, you get a small plate of mixed greens with 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing on the side (no choices) and 5 stale croutons. That was followed by the entrée: 1 cup of beef stroganoff (Beef Stroganoff ~ Tender strips of Prime Rib, mushrooms and pearl onions in a delectable sour cream sauce. Served on a bed of Rooster Comb noodles) for me, and a deck-of-cards sized cod piece in a weird orange, spicy sauce for the hubby (Potato Crusted Cod ~ A potato, chive and cheese crusted cod baked to perfection topped with a chipotle aioli. Served with Spanish rice, pico de gallo and vegetables. A delight for the fish lover’s palate!). The bread bowl was two 5” pieces of some sort of flatbread for the 6 of us; we asked for more.

We have been to many dinner plays before and always the non-alcoholic drinks (soda, tea, coffee) were included in the price. Not at BDT. Non-alcoholic drinks are $3 and the wine/beer starts at $5 and goes up from there. The hubby and I split a dessert: apple pie ($6), ala mode with ¼ cup vanilla ice cream ($3), and a cup of bitter, poor quality coffee ($3)…so $12 for dessert for 1. Outrageous! And, worse, not very good! :(

Yes, the actors do come out to serve coffee at intermission which also gives the BDT staff another chance to talk about generous tipping. After paying over $130 before the tip, I don’t care to have my waitress/performers shilling for their tips too. We were wondering how much of a cut in the tips the actors actually got compared to the waitresses and were thinking maybe none of them actually get the tips…it just goes to the BDT. That would be interesting to know.

Several reviews have commented on how run down the place is getting and I agree. In the ladies room, one of the 5 stalls was broken (on a Saturday night). Get a plumber in and get it fixed! The air flow was very inadequate and stuffy. The stalls themselves have seen better days and were all scuffed up and badly in need of repainting or replacing. Restrooms in high schools are far more appealing than the one at the BDT.

Will we be going back there? Probably not. For $150, I’d rather see a play downtown for less and have a nice dinner out.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank kipper c
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“If only..”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location, ambiance, film selections are all exceptional. The bar that service makes for a unique experience. The only downside, and the reason I don't go more often, are the very uncomfortable chairs on the main level. To sit for 2 hours in a folding steel chair does not make for a comfortable experience.

Visited February 2013
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this theatre”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

It is small, cozy, and easy to see the stage from most of the seats. I don't like the side seats that are very far forward. But the side seats at the rear have been fine. I love the regular actors, and they are fun as servers too. Food is fine, not wonderful, but I don't go for the food. I usually order drinks and definitely dessert... those are worth the extra cost. Tables are tight together, so if you are a big person, this could be uncomfortable for you and the person next to or behind you. My husband is a big guy, with big shoulders, so I try to pick a table where he won't be in other people's way. So far I have loved most of the shows I have seen there... all but one. Really enjoy when they go for the shows like Ragtime. One of my favorite places to go in the Boulder/Denver area.

Visited October 2012