“Delicious fresh pasta and authentic Italian on pearl”
Review of Pastavino - CLOSED

Pastavino
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 11th
Description: PASTAVINO is a simple, organic Italian restaurant in Boulder.
Missoula, Montana
“Delicious fresh pasta and authentic Italian on pearl”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A new addition to the foodie scene in Boulder. The pasta is fresh and delicious. I recommend the pesto, butternut squash ravioli, ragout, and arribiata. A large place it is good for both business, couples, and large friend groups. One of the easier places to get into on a Friday evening

• Visited November 2012

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Buzzy Atmosphere But Bland Food”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

When we visit my daughter in Boulder our favourite restuarant is The Med but for a change we decided to book a table at Pastavino on a Saturday night.
When we went in the place looked, sounded, and felt very buzzy, which was a good sign and after a short wait we were shown to our table.
For starters we had a couple of portions of bruschetta which was a bit disappointing as it was rather tasteless.
For a main course my wife and daughter had sea bass, my son-in-law had brodetto di pesce and I had NY steak. We also had a bottle of red wine with our meal.
All I can say is that the main courses were OK without being inspiring as was the tiramisu that we had for dessert.
For a so-called Italian restaurant it talked-the-talk but for us didn't walk-the-walk, it simply didn't deliver on the food front. The food was all rather bland in taste which was a pity because it could, and should, have been far better.

1 Thank Richard N
Malmo, Sweden
“Ok food, when we got it.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

When we ate here my partner ordered ravioli with truffles only he could not taste the truffles at all. When we asked about it the waitress said they were in the sauce but we could have some more if we wanted. This took ages so he'd finished it when she got there and told him that the chef actually forgot them so there wern't any in there. He did get a new portion which was good so they did solve the problem but we did not get to eat a calm meal together.

Boulder, Colorado
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I love Pastavino. The food is authentic, simple and delicious. I am not a fan of the Olive Garden style Italian food (no offense to anyone who likes that place). I don't like too much cheese or canned tomatoes in my food. At Pastavino you get nothing but the freshest of ingredients. This restaurant also has the most extensive range of gluten free food in town. Prices are reasonable, wine selection is good. Prices for wine are in line with other local restaurants. You do have to pay between $2-$4 for bread, however the bread is really delicious. They have a gluten free bread for $4 as well. There seems to have been a big turnover in staff which has sometimes lead to my friends and I waiting 10 - 15 minutes to get a drink or even get our order in.Sometimes the bar people don't make eye contact, which is frustrating when you are trying to order. I go to the Kitchen a lot, where they are great at making eye contact. Other than that, it's a great place with great potential. Highly recommended!

Boulder, Colorado
“Too Many Other Better Options . . .”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Thought we would give a new joint in town a try on a Saturday night. The location is the remodeled former home of Juanitas, next door to The Kitchen. The decor is OK - the underlit bar is cool, and the one brick wall is attractive. The large white wall sporting what looks like a braille message is not to my taste.

Service was not great. Relatively inattentive. Not terribly experienced. Prices were good - wine list, especially from the Piedmont areas was promising. But the rest of the meal wasn't. Butternut squash soup had little flavor. Carpaccio was pretty good - but no bread/crackers to accompany. We had to separately order bread (which oddly wasn't included with dinner) as the bread sticks on the table seemed kind of lame. Our entrees were simply not good. Lasagna had been heated up (allegedly in the pizza oven not a microwave) so hot, I couldn't take a bite for 5 minutes. Even then it burned my mouth. Once cool, the flavor was awful. My wife had stuffed tortellinis and the stuffing was bland and pasta thick and dry. Austin never checked on us one after the food was delivered. The bill was slow to arrive. Worst of all, when the dinner was served, there was a strong smell at our table of industrial cleaner. Coming from behind the bar? I don't know, but it certainly didn't enhance the already marginal food. Very weird.

With all the great restaurants in town, I don't see giving this one another shot. Made me miss Juanitas.

Bill