“Great lunch spot!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Detroit, MI
“Great lunch spot!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Julia's Kitchen has recently moved to a new location just south of its old location at 4457 Broadway. Judging from the exterior of the old location, this looks like a big step up. Our group of five enjoyed our meals very much. The veggie burger was quite delicious and came with a side salad. My wife had the soup of the day (Red Lentil) and enjoyed it very much. The service was a tad slow, but it was worth the wait. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Boulder, Colorado
“Very bad experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Strictly amateur night. I had a $10 veggie burger and small assortment of vegetarian accompaniments that was edible and not unpleasant, but forgettable. Well-intentioned folks, I guess, but the cook appeared worried and nervous, the male server sullen and aloof. After cooking awhile, the cook adjourned to the back room where I saw her washing dishes. When my companion sent her veggie burger (cold in the middle) back to be sautéed a bit more, she observed the server testing it by poking in his finger. A truly undrinkable chai tasted like mildly flavored light-brown water, although I declined some kind of date sweetener. I returned it, only to learn at meal's end that I must pay the $4 for it. When I said people aren't customarily asked to pay for food they return, his comment was a cold, "I made it." He then adjourned to the back room to "call the owner" to see whether he should hang tough on the $4. In his prolonged absence, I gave the other server $12 ($10 for the veggie burger, splitting the difference on the chai, and no tip). We both gasped at the $5 asking price for some tiny cupcakes on display. The decor appeared bought used somewhere -- a final unpleasant note from our encounter with amateur night in North Boulder. The place had customers, my adjacent table yumm-ing it up about the soup. One more note: With so many rules about what one must not eat, can eating possibly be fun?

• Visited March 2014
Boulder
“A great addition to Boulder's food options”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Julia's Kitchen is a great addition to the many food options offered in Boulder. The space is small, but the quality of the food is large. Organic, plant-based, gluten-free and good. The dish I had was flavorful, plentiful and nicely presented. Staff was very friendly. I felt welcomed and appreciated as a first time patron. The menu was simple and easy to navigate, especially as a new gluten-free/dairy-free eater. It offered good variety, too. I will go back soon to sample the sweet treats. Yum!

• Visited July 2013
Lafayette, Colorado
“Be careful”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The staff has been helpful and polite 3 out of 4 times I have been there to eat. The last time, the owner was not all that friendly due to her misunderstanding that I asked for quinoa (to try out) instead of millet. She was obviously annoyed. I got my food to go, ate it, and an hour later started feeling ill. All night, I had severe shooting stomach pains, bloodshot eyes, nausea, back pain, and then violent vomitting for hours. It last for about 8 hours total and was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. After googling it and talking to an nurse, I found out that if quinoa is not washed and cooked thoroughly, this violent sickness can occur. I will not go back for fear of their cooking process and techniques. I never want to feel that way again!!!! When I called to tell her, all she said was "I appreciate you telling me." She did not offer anything else.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank wendy n
Richmond, Virginia
“Vegan Yum!”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

On Broadway in North Boulder, this non-descript storefront vegan restaurant serves up delicious food! There are a new tables nside, a few tables outside and gluten free baker items available. The veggie burger and veggie wrap were delicious (not sure, exactly what was in the wrap, but very good, none-the-less!). Even if you aren't vegan or even vegetarian, give this spot a try - you'll feel good about what you're eating.

Visited August 2012