“hiking in the Rockies”

Colorado Wilderness Rides and Guides
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Colorado Wilderness Rides And Guides: Connecting people to the outdoors and nature through education, adventure, and life changing experiences. We create unique, innovative, custom adventures and experiences. We specialize in guided wilderness tours / trips, team building (corporate and leadership), sightseeing tours, outdoor education group outings, group transportation and corporate functions. Activities include fly fishing (wade and flaot), sightseeing tours, mountain bike tours, cycling tours, hiking trips, rock climbing, peak ascents, whitewater rafting, horseback riding, snowshoeing, ski tours, backpacking trips - Rocky Mountain National Park, ATV tours, photography tours, historic tours, and Adventure - Outdoors. Lesiure travel trips, tours, and small groups range from 1 hour to 9+ days in Colorado and Eastern Utah. Group size: 1 participant to 450+ based on trip length, service, and activity. License: (Required in Colorado to operate) Colorado Outfitter Rafting License #: 534; Colorado Outfitter License #: 2717; Colorado Public Utilities Commission: #55777 - Transportation license for sightseeing, charter, limousine services. Permits (Required to operate by federal, state, and local land mangers to operation legally) - Official Rocky Mountain National Park Concessionaire for Technical Climbing, Mountaineering, Ski Mountaineering and avalanche education. - Permitted BLM Upper Colorado River Basin for guided multi-sport and river corridor tours and education. All or part of cwrag operation is conducted on public lands under special permit of the US Bureau of Land Management. - CWRAG is an equal opportunity service provider and permittee of Roosevelt National Forest (Boulder and Clear Creek Ranger Districts) and White River National Forest (Rio Blanca Ranger District). - Permitted for Climbing, Mountaineering, Mountain Biking, Cycling, Hiking, Backpacking, Photography Tours, Outdoor Education, Fly Fishing, Rafting, Ski Tours, Snowshoeing, Team Building Events with the following organizations: United States National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, United States Forest Service, Colorado Parks And Wildlife, City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks, Estes Park Parks and Bureau of Reclamation, Jefferson County Open Space. - Education provider for American Institute of Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) for avalanche level 1 and 2 course and Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) for wilderness first responder (WFR) education and certifications. In 2015: we added 4 international countries: Itay, Chile, Ecuador, and Tanzania as destinations. Custom team building events are designed specifically for each group. Clients include Garmin Sharp Barracuda Professional Bike team (now Cannondale Garmin), Comcast, Covidien, Level 3, Anheuser Busch, Purina One / Nestle, Estee Lauder, US Army, US Airforce, National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), and more. Facilitated more than 500 successful team building and leadership events.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“hiking in the Rockies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

In preparation for an upcoming trip to Kilimanjaro, a friend suggested I try climbing a "fourteener" in Colorado first. So, on the spur of the moment, I did a google search for guided hikes and found CWRAG. Everything about the experience was first rate. I submitted an internet query and the owner called me back within an hour to discuss things in detail. After offering some suggestions we settled on some day hikes to get acclimated and then a final hike to 14,000 on Mt. Arapahoe. Two weeks later I was on a flight to Denver.

All of the details of the trip were taken care of for me. They reserved a space on the shuttle between the airport in Denver and my hotel in Boulder and picked me up each day from the hotel - no need to rent a car. My guide Bennett was great about telling me what I would need each day. They had snacks stockpiled in the van and he would stop and pick up food for lunch (and breakfast for the peak ascent day).

Because of recent heavy rains and the subsequent flooding and damage, many parks and trails were closed, including Arapahoe. So we had to change plans. But Bennett knew enough about the area to come up with alternate plans and I had a great day hiking at Table Mesa and then Golden Gate Canyon State Park and then ascending Mt. Parnassus on the last day of the trip. After sussing out my abilities, Bennett decided I could handle an off-trail route up Mt. Parnassus and so we took a challenging, more direct route up the mountain that involved a lot of scrambling over rocks. It was awesome! It was really great having a guide pay attention to what I was capable of and tailor the day to me.

I can't say enough positive things about the experience - I highly recommend this outfit.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank SandyJF

Victoria, Texas, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Switzerland Trail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Alex took us on a wonderful ride down the Switzerland Trail this afternoon. He and Tanner took great care of us, providing snacks, extra layers for the rain we encountered, and lots of history about the area to keep us entertained. It was an easy ride, about 18 miles, mostly downhill, but beautiful. The bikes themselves were great and clearly well-maintained.

Visited July 2013
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“First time fly fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Me and my husband have never been fly fishing and we booked CWRG and Robin was our guide. We caught and released brown, rainbow and cut throat trout. She was very professional and knowledgeable about the sport and the habitat the fish lived in. She showed us different casting techniques and taught us about the fly’s we were using. She explained everything and answered all questions. Our guide even took the time to make sure the food for our picnic was what we wanted. The whole experience was amazing and we had an awesome time on our 1st trip out in the river, and we enjoyed our picnic and scenic views :o) We cannot wait to go back to Colorado and for sure fly fishing is going to be on our to do list again!!! - Veronica Cinco Diaz

Visited May 2013
1 Thank verofive
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Flyfishing the Big Thompson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I always wanted to try flyfishing and knew that CWRG would be the best way to get the full experience. Our guide was extremely professional, educated me on the right kind of bait to use, explained the different fish that we were catching and took pictures of the first fish I caught! It was a memorable experience for me and I would definitely use CWRG services again.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank steph0rz
Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Gorgeous 2hr scenic horse back ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Wife and I enjoyed a 2hour scenic horseback ride through this company. It was very easy to find and had plenty of parking. Our guide was very friendly but wasn't overly talkative which was perfect and allowed you to really soak in the scenery. We aren't expert riders and this trail ride was great for beginners. We can't wait to visit again when we get back to the Boulder area.

Visited November 2012