“Small bites with big flavor”
Review of The Bitter Bar

The Bitter Bar
Ranked #175 of 585 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Everything they produce is so flavorful and surprising. I never new brussel sprouts and zucchini could create a wow factor for my tastbuds. Same with the extreamly creative drinks. Bourbon fans try the horses head. Our group enjoyed the brussel sprout leaf crisps, macheral with horsradish rillets, fried zucchini and the prochutto. The titals may sound ordinary but the tast and presentation is not. This place is known for its expert mixologist. But, have it all with the great food.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stopped for cocktails before dinner at the suggestion of our 23 year old son. We really enjoyed ourselves. The space was very nice, staff quite personable, tasty small plates and excellent bartender, Ian.

While I am no stranger to cocktails, Ian made the visit fun and informational. Cocktails were expertly prepared and understanding some of the nuances in their preparation made us appreciate them all the more. We enjoyed it so much were back at the bar two nights later. Highly recommended.

2  Thank chi_town44
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I visited with a few friends on a Saturday evening. The place was packed and several of the available tables were marked reserved, even though no one showed to claim them for around half an hour. We were standing near one of the tables (in the only available standing room) and were reminded several times that the table near us was reserved. After about 20 minutes we were told we could sit there as long as we closed our bar tab. The friends that ordered cocktails were pleased with their drink and I enjoyed a local beer.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Their old fashioned is one of the best around. The care the bartenders use in creating each drink is impressive, and it shows in the quality.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you're craving a Maker's Manhattan, a Bombay Sapphire Martini (rocks, twist), or just want to knock back a few Margs, you're probably not going to be taking advantage of The Bitter Bar's real strengths. Sure, they'll do a fine job with these, but there are many Boulder bars serving reasonable versions of basic cocktails, so no need to head here for those. The strength of The Bitter Bar is their knowledgeable bartenders' (or the more trendy "mixologists'" if you like) huge repertoire of well-crafted cocktails. You can order classic, but lesser-known cocktails without getting a "What?". And you can describe your cocktail preferences and they will make suggestions you've never heard of that will get you out of your Manhattan rut.

The atmosphere is speakeasy with a dark bar area and a front room that ... hmmm ... I guess I always come in through the back door and never get past the bar, so I'm not really sure what the front room is even like. And I've never had any food, but given the bar's lineage, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that it's likely interesting and pretty good. But you'll have to judge that for yourself. For me, it's really all about the cocktails.