“A great lunch stop”
Review of India's Clay Oven - CLOSED

India's Clay Oven
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I occasionally eat at India's Clay Oven for lunch. Weekdays or Saturdays, food on the buffet is plentiful, delicious and reasonably priced. I do not know the restaurant's schedule on Sundays. We have always encountered good variety on the buffet. The buffet makes it easy to have a sit-down meal and still stay on schedule. The atmosphere is usually quiet and has always been clean. Our service has been prompt. I recommend India's Clay Oven for good Indian food, especially when time is tight.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This restaurant opened in Boulder about 2 years ago and last night a friend and I decided to give it a try. We were delightfully surprised at the food. The decor is okay and comfortable, but the food was delicious. We ordered a vegetable platter for an appetizer which came with two samosas and 4 vegetable dumplings. The samosas were very good with a light batter crust and the dipping sauces served were excellent. Then I ordered salmon vindaloo medium spicy which was excellent. My friend ordered a lamb tikka dish and it was tender and very good. He is a picky restaurant eater and he loved it! I did not try it because I only eat fish, but I did taste the sauce and it was delicious. We also ordered garlic naan which was okay but could have used more garlic. We met the owner and his wife who are from Nepal and they told us that their cook has been cooking Indian food for 25 years. He gave us a free sample of rice pudding and it was quite tasty without being overly sweet. This is now an Indian restaurant that we will try again soon. I am anxious to go back and try some of their other dishes as well. We had a great experience the first time around and that was a nice surprise!

Reviewed February 11, 2012

My wife and one other couple tried this restaurant on a week night. It was not crowded and we were quickly seated and given menus. We ordered two orders of vegetable samosas for a first course (two samosa per order for $3.50). The samosa were very tasty, but I don't think they were made on the premises. We then ordered three dishes, naan and rice. The dishes were: tandori chicken, chicken tikka masala and a lamb curry. I asked the waiter if that was going to be enough food for the four of us. He suggested we should order one more dish. We did, we asked for a second order of the tandori chicken.

Regarding the food, most of it was good but there were some issues. First, on the tandori we were asked if we wanted boneless or on the bone. This was a first for us. We learned the boneless was the white meat and "on the bone" was the dark meat. We chose the dark meat. What showed up was two plates (orders) of tandori chicken with the sliced onions and green peppers. Each order had three leg/drumstick chicken quarters (as large pieces). This seemed unusal to me, since three large pieces was probably too much food for two people and not easily divided between four people. The tandori chicken was dry (over cooked), hard to eat because it was not cut into smaller pieces, and not terribly good. The chcken tikka masala was lovely, but the lamb dish was very disappointing. The lamb was tough and didn't taste much like lamb. For the level of spice, we asked for medium. The food was not spicy at all. Four dishes of rice showed up, each enough rice for two normal people. We sent two dishes back to make room on the table. The garlic naan was okay.

The service was certanly attentive enough. In the end we had a bit too much food. The price for four of us was around $65 before tip. I think this included a coupon for $10 off. The restaurant does offer a lunch buffet for $9.00. We did not try the lunch so I can't comment on it.

All in all, if this restaurant is convenient to you geographically, it would be okay, but I think there are better Indian restaurants in Boulder: one on Baseline Rd., and one at Table Mesa and Broadway.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

A disclaimer. I don't eat Indian food. But my son chose to go hear for his lunch break. It was clean, the selection was adequate. The crowd was decent. The food acceptable. They worked hard to accomodate my wife's picky pallate.