“very nice happy hour on last visit”
Review of Bacco Trattoria

Bacco Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Bacco Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #97 of 587 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ten reviews on google.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I've only dined at Bacco a handful of times since they opened a number of years ago. On each of those visits food and service were always quite variable. Sometimes good, sometimes rather poor, even within the same meal. The restaurant seemed to be consistently inconsistent, so it never made it to my regular restaurant rotation. I fully expected to drive by at some point and see the place shuttered.

But we decided to give it another chance recently at happy hour. And we were quite pleased. Everything we ordered was not only good, but very nicely done -- Scampetti, Polpette, Insalata Bacco, Vongole, Patatine Fritte -- were all quite flavorful and perfectly prepared. Service was knowledgeable and accommodating. Wine list has a good Italian selection at acceptable prices, although very oddly no Italian wines for happy hour. Restaurant was lively and full, both inside and out.

The menu can be a bit overwhelming with all of the various happy hour dishes, pasta selections, polenta variations, meats and seafoods (sometimes with various sauce options), pizza, contorni and then of course there's the mozzarella bar. But there's certainly no room to complain about a lack of choices.

Based on this most recent experience, we are certainly going to visit Bacco a bit more frequently. Hopefully they've indeed turned the corner and will offer a consistently good dining experience down the road.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We went there for happy hour yesterday. For a total of $40, we each had two glasses of wine and shared five small plates of food.

The $4 Malbec that I drank was excellent. We shared a beet salad with mozzarella, asparagus with bacon and cheese, fried calamari, mushrooms and a margarita pizza. I think my favorite was the beet salad. The calamari was very tasty but the red sauce was bland and didn't add much. The mushrooms were good but not exciting. The pizza was so large (for $6) that we ended up taking a lot of it home. It's crust was very thin and delicious and the pizza itself was very flavorful. Even though I haven't given rave reviews to everything, I thought it was a very pleasant meal and really enjoyed it. The restaurant atmosphere is inviting and the service excellent. The menu had a long list of small plates and we didn't make a dent.

I've been wavering between giving this place average or very good. I wish there was a good rating. Overall, it was worth the visit. I'll definitely go back again for happy hour to try more of the small plates and I may check out the dinner menu sometime as well.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We didn't expect to find such a great little restaurant hidden away in North Boulder. Loved everything about this place: delicious food, excellent service, upscale atmosphere. The Mushroom risotto with truffle oil and the butternut squash ravioli were amazing. Great appetizers as well along with $4 glasses of malbec during happy hour. We will be back on our next trip to Boulder!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family had all visited here a few times before and said they liked it - they had discovered it when my sister had to eat a gluten free diet for a while. When we visited we were put in the little back side room behind a curtain which was a bit of a shame because we didn't get the full atmosphere, so if you go try and sit in the main room.

My parents were really excited about the nice bread but we had to wait a while until the waitress brought it over and then the food was brought out while we were still eating it which was a bit of a shame. Having said this the food was really nice and the service was pleasant. Overall I would say this was a nice restaurant and worth a visit.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I previously gave a mixed review for Bacco, which they deserved, yet I saw positives. So my wife and I recently returned to see how they do on another try.

There were positives, but the negative was egregious. With our dinner we were served bread, which was sliced and slightly warm. When I took a bite it was very chewy. I examined the bread slice and the center was raw. When the server came over I pointed this out and she poked the bread with her finger, and thought it ok. I told her it wasn't and to take it back to the kitchen.

She did that, then returned with the same bread (which she had poked) and told me the kitchen said it was because the bread was under the heat lamps. Excuse me, heat lamps don't turn cooked bread into raw dough.

So I pulled out some of the raw dough and rolled it into balls and strings. It was like playdoh. Can't do that with cooked bread. The waitress finally agreed and told me the bread wasn't cooked in-house, but provided by an outside bakery. I suggested they have a talk with their supplier.

I can accept that the bread was improperly cooked, but when sent back to the kitchen and they say its ok. That's a huge failure. If they can't tell raw dough, what else don't they know? And what server would bring back bread they had poked with their finger?

Also, for the second time, my wife had the papardelle and it was inconsistently cooked. Some was perfect, some was undercooked (more than al dente)

Good news. My pasta dish, linguine with clams was perfect. The pasta cooked the way it should be, nice plump clams, and a great broth.

I still have some hope for Bacco, but it will be a while before I consider another visit. It clearly is popular, especially for families with young children. And their Happy Hour is popular.

Make sure you check your bread.