“Total Rip-off!!”
Review of Local Table Tours

Local Table Tours
Ranked #6 of 23 Food & Drink in Boulder
More attraction details
Owner description: Local Table Tours brings small groups on culinary walking tours for an exclusive taste of the town. Food tours, cocktail tasting tours, coffee and chocolate tasting tours,progressive dinners and private dining experiences offer a unique taste of the Boulder food scene. Discover America's foodiest town, one bite at a time. Please visit our Local Table Tours, Denver Tours as well for more information on our Denver culinary excursions.
Boulder, C
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Total Rip-off!!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We paid $40 for the Thirsty Thursday Happy Hour tour. There were two of us and two others along with our guide, Megan. She took us to three bars, and we were given a small 2 oz. sample at each bar. Nothing cool about it. No mixology lessons, the bartenders were not fun, we had no say in what we sampled. They kept offering us big glasses of water at each bar. We met at 4 and were done at 5:30. During Happy Hour at any bar, we could have had 8-10 drinks for $40. Don't waste your money or your time. We would like our money back!!!!!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Angelie T
Megan B, Owner at Local Table Tours, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Angelie-

When you first threatened me to write a negative review if I didn't refund your money, I was nervous. Now, upon reading your review, I'm so glad to have the opportunity to explain to other potential guests what we do on a Cocktail Tasting Tour. Please note- it is not called a Thirsty Thursday Happy Hour Tour. It's a Cocktail Tasting Tour.

First, we stopped at one of the best restaurant bars in the US, OAK at Fourteenth. This bar has in fact been nominated as one of the top bars in the nation, and Jonathan served us all a 3oz pour (which was essentially half of a champagne flute) of a drink he created just for our group thirty minutes prior to us arriving. This drink was all booze- Calvados, Rum, Montenegro, and Allspice Dram. We learned that Calvados is an apple brandy and that drams are a specific type of liqueur.

We moved on to another great locally owned establishment, Riffs. We had the pleasure of trying a hot toddy style cocktail that just recently made the menu that had both rum and bourbon, as well as house made spiced cider.

Our third stop was a visit with award- winning Conor at Salt the Bistro. Conor proceeded to make us two cocktails- one he had just created the week before for another one of my tours featuring a local beer, and another gin based tail he created for a competition. Conor, as always, asked if anyone had any questions and basically hung out with us for the entire time we were there, talking about bartending, making new drinks, the beverage program at Salt, and introduced the group to Green Chartreuse. He then poured tasters for each guest to fully understand the complexities of this very special liqueur and, as I recall, it was new to all four guests on tour that day.

By the end of the tour we all had been served more than one full cocktail's worth of booze, had had one on one time with three of Boulder's best bartenders, and had had the opportunity to learn from them if we chose. I, for one, learned about drams on that particular tour.

The cocktail tasting tour is designed to be a unique experience for people interested in exploring Colorado's burgeoning cocktail scene. You'll always be served water because hydration is very important when drinking. The tour is usually 1.5-2 hours and ends in time for people to enjoy dinner out on the town. We don't visit establishments that serve 8-10 drinks for $40, at all. In fact, 8-10 drinks during happy hour is a dangerous amount of alcohol to be consumed. Most tails average $12 per drink at all establishments featured on my tours because they are not vodka and red bull, as was mentioned would be preferred by your friend. These bartenders' choice tours are designed as an upscale bar hop to Boulder's best establishments.

Since I was the guide on your tour and witnessed you both having a bad time, I was expecting a negative review. It appears you were looking for an experience where you got to imbibe copious amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. That is not the experience I offer, nor is it an experience the bartenders or restaurant owners at my featured establishments are interested in providing. I provided you a tour that is in line with what my website states, and therefore don't believe a negative review is necessary. But, you apparently insisted on trying to warn people not to waste money with me, even after I called you to discuss your disappointments.

So, thank you for the opportunity for me to gather my thoughts on the Cocktail Tasting Tour. I get an overwhelmingly positive response from the hundreds of guests I've brought through town over the past few years and completely stand behind my service.

-Megan Bucholz
Founding Foodie

Colorado Springs, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Day Out”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I took the food tour with Megan and it was fabulous. Megan had a fun outgoing personality and was extremely knowledgeable about the local food scene. We had a fabuloud day out and would highly recommend this tour!!!!

Visited May 2013
Boulder, Colorado
“Private tour for Texas Ladies”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

3 Texas foodies and 2 Boulderites had a private "Taste of Boulder" in July. We loved walking down Pearl Street with our knowledgeable escort and guide, Megan. We started with the refreshing cocktail at the OAK at Fourteenth. Then smiled our way to Aji, then Riffs, then Savory Spices, then Two Spoons and even a visit to Piece, Love and Chocolate. We had plenty of food and drinks at each stop. We will all return to these fabulous places.
Our Texas visitors were really impressed by the personal attention of the Local Table Tour of Boulder's best!
Good Friends, Good Food, Good Wine....all in Beautiful Boulder

Visited July 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“"A Taste of Boulder" --eat your way around Pearl Street”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our walking tour with Megan was fantastic! The 6 of us started at Aji with tastes of Latin American food (bacon-wrapped date, empanadas, calamari, shrimp ceviche) and a delicious ginger lemonade and glass of white wine. Then we walked down to the Kitchen Next Door and sat out on their covered patio. Next Door was definitely my favorite and they served us a Hobo red wine, Drydock Apricot Honey beer, antipasti plate with whole wheat flatbreads from Udi's Bakery, kale chips, and beet burger slider. Then, ice cream sandwiches with vanilla ice cream from 2 Spoons down the block. From there, we walked to Savory Spices and tasted the many inventive blends and made some purchases, then to Oliverde to taste their olive oils & balsamic vinegars. Finally, we ended up at Tee & Cakes for samples of small cupcakes (triple chocolate and s'mores -- they weren't giving out the chocolate bacon that made them famous on "Unwrapped," unfortunately). Megan is incredibly knowledgeable about the Boulder food scene and paces the tour appropriately for the group dynamics. We'll definitely have to do the coffee and cocktail tours on another trip!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank pmn518
Broomfield, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun Food Tour: A birthday surprise”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Have you ever tasted a Kale Chip? Sampled a White Balsamic Vinegar? Toured a Pizza Kitchen in action? Savored a Red Velvet Cupcake? All of these, and more, were ours on a January Saturday afternoon as we toured some of Boulder's restaurants with our host Megan. My husband's birthday approaching, I decided that his love of cooking could translate into a fun "foodie" experience for our family. I landed on Megan's website and, a few phone calls and emails later, Megan expertly introduced us to some fabulous restaurants and knowledgeable chefs. We decided the "theme" of our day was savoring locally grown ingredients, a conviction heralded throughout the afternoon by all participating dining spots. We are already planning a repeat tour with some of our friends! High Recommendation on this fun Tour!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank June W

Been to Local Table Tours? Share your experiences!