“Not worth all the hype”
Review of Next Door

Next Door
Ranked #45 of 588 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 11th Street
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have eaten at this restaurant twice for lunch in the last month and both times it fell below expectations. I'm unlikely to return.

It is very noisy, the tables are small and close together and the food was acceptable but not above average. They have some interesting menu items, such as the beet burger, but the overall flavor of the food is lacking.

Service on both occasions has been acceptable, but not outstanding. I have had to ask to have a beverage refill and request the check, as the server seldom returns to the table to see if beverages need to be filled or if you are ready to leave. The individual bussing tables actually took my plate out from in front of me while I was still had food in my mouth.

It is very hard to carry on a conversation in the restaurant, as the noise level is high and there is so little space between tables.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We came for their "Community Hour" (happy hour). It was great food. We had the hummus, organic roasted beets, pork sliders, arrugula, cumin carrots, and beef sliders. All of it was amazing. They also have a good selection of micro-brews from around Colorado, including my favorite, Dry Dock Brewery.

We had a large table outside, with a great view of the mountains. It was a very enjoyable experience, and we had 8 adults and 2 children.

Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

noisy, scree, i asked the hostest to be seated away from children and she told me it would be full of families with kids in another hour! and, as it filled up the table coversations became a soft roar - very unpleasant. the food was okay, but not outstanding. my drinks were done poorly and someone needs a bartender refresher for the common mixes. service was pleasant, but slow and too shy to make suggestions or interact with customers

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Recently we were visiting Boulder, Colorado and our nephew suggested we try one of the Kitchen restaurants - Kitchen Upstairs, Kitchen Next Door, and The Kitchen. First, we tried the Kitchen Next Door for lunch and sat outdoors. Loved the fresh food. Then the same evening we went to The Kitchen for an early dinner and sat outdoors again. The menu is slightly different. Again, great flavors and fresh vegetables. After dinner, we went Upstairs and had drinks with our nephew. The restaurants are each different and decorated very stylish. The wait-staff are cordial and service-oriented. Can't wait to go back when we visit Boulder.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The intention of this restaurant is wonderful. They are following the farm-to-table concept, and that in itself makes it worthy of another visit. The menu items are creative, although the beet burger has not yet been perfected. It is the most marvelous combination of flavors, but the beet burger isn't solid, so it is like eating a mouthful of beet puree. Nonetheless, I ate every bite. The arugula was fabulous. The young woman who waited on us was delightful, and a great server. The decor of this restaurant is modern and cool (as opposed to warm). They have lovely lights over the bar. Parking is a hassle, as you either need to use the Boulder pay for parking system, or park on Spruce or Pine for free. My only hope is that the other staff members model their orientation after our wonderful server. There is a tiny feeling of "a scene" there instead of real people eating real food together. Perhaps it is just a sign of the times, but that was my only complaint.

1  Thank WhirledTravels28