“Waste of Time and Money”
Review of Black Pepper Pho

Black Pepper Pho
Ranked #280 of 585 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Description: Near Starbucks And Wahoo Fish Taco In A Strip Shopping Center
Description: Near Starbucks And Wahoo Fish Taco In A Strip Shopping Center
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have eaten in numerous Pho/Vietnamese restaurants. This one had a nice atmosphere and was clean, but the food was woeful. Our starter of shrimp rolls contained rice sticks and bean shoots but the shrimp was missing. If there was any shrimp it was microscopic. My "dinner" salad ( as described in the menu) consisted of few scrambled salad leaves and bean shoots topped with a few strips of beef. The accompanying sauce was tasteless. While this was dinner salad not a rice bowl, the vegetables, beef and sauce compared very poorly with the traditional Vietnamese rice bowls. My wife ordered a tofu salad which was the size of a starter and had a few salad leaves and bean shoots with very small portions of tofu. When the waiter inquired if we enjoyed our meal, we told him quite clearly that we did not. He went away without even asking what was wrong. It was altogether a dismal dining experience.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Pho is one of my food passions, so I'm constantly seeking out new places to try, and very happy that the dish is getting very popular, so there are many options. Black Pepper is in a strip center in central Boulder. Really nice interior and good outdoor seating area. Service efficient. The pho, however, was the worst I have had anywhere. I will spare any snarky descriptions and just say it was utterly bland, and needs a great deal of work to even get to average - it's all about the broth, which in this case was closer to bathwater than a good product. There are other choices in the area, including a good spot in Longmont called Saigon Express.

1  Thank Arthursioux
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

The pretty lights drew me in. The pho warmed my insides. But I couldn't get past the dollar store art on the walls. No personality. Probably will still eat my pho at chez thuy.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

In general I avoid places in strip malls. With that said, once you walk into Black Pepper Pho, you feel like you've stepped out of that mall and into a cute, comfy restaurant! The service is impeccable, and the pho divine! The wait staff is also ... very good looking! I can't wait to go back, despite it's horrible location!

2  Thank ughughCO
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have always been a fan of Vietnamese noodle soup and they do an excellent job of it. I also had Grilled Meat Bun and loved that as well.