“Mom's 60th”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th Street
Transit: Oak at Fourteenth is located on the Pearl Street Mall two blocks away from the main RTD station.
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My four daughters invited me or a surprise Spa weekend at St Julien Hotel in Boulder. We went out to eat a lot but on Saturday night we went to The Oak at Fourteenth. Being a very busy restaurant we had to get a reservation. The place was packed and really noisy but after a little bit we started not to notice it so much. We also had late reservations so the crowd began to die down after we were there an hour or so…
The customer service is a hot topic in our home as I owned my own business so my daughters and I all thought the service was spectacular. The wait staff were all handsome polite young men with a good grasp of what would bring us satisfaction. They knew their stuff too. We were well versed in the varied menu and delightfully fun drinks.
The food was incredibly creative, made with fresh seasonal ingredients as well. One daughter bravely tried their bone marrow speciality chased with cognac She loved it and we all took pictures!
At the end of a delightful evening they brought out two scoops of refreshing sorbet with a little candle in it…happy 60th Mom. And a big Thanks to the wait staff at The Oak at Fourteenth.

There are newer reviews for Oak at Fourteenth

Reviewed January 5, 2014

When OAK opened a while back I intended to give it a couple months to settle down before eating there. But then there was the fire and a rather long hiatus while repairs were made and somehow OAK never got back on my radar. I've now eaten there a couple times and definitely need to make sure it's in my regular rotation.

Everything I've had has been exceptionally tasty -- braised meatballs with burrata and grits, hamachi crudo, shaved apple and kale salad, blue cheese and pear salad, five-spiced grilled duck, rotisserie chicken ... Interesting wines by the glass. Haven't tried any cocktails, but more than usual attention seems to be paid to them. Service is very professional. Room is buzzing. A nice touch is good seating for single diners, both at the bar and at the counter near the open kitchen.

Only two slight complaints. When the restaurant is full, it gets LOUD ... to the point that conversation with fellow diners is difficult and communication with the server approaches shouting. So don't expect to have quiet conversations, business or otherwise.

The other minor issue is that the shared plates I've had are particularly good and the ones I haven't had sound particularly good ... but they are meant to be shared and typically too large for a single person. Since it can be difficult at times to convince the table to go for braised octopus or hamachi collar, I wish smaller versions were available.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I've been to Oak for stellar dinner before but this was the first time for lunch and it was superb. It felt special, relaxing, happy and it was amazingly delicious and affordable given the level of service and food. We sat by the window and watched foot traffic on the Pearl St mall while we sipped on house-made root beer and a great glass of vino. We ordered 2 large plates to share because we couldn't decide and they happily split them for us--a seasonal gnocchi dumpling with root vegetables and their famous kale salad. Divine! Our little ones (8 yrs old) ordered full size cheeseburgers with fried egg and bacon--of course we tried some. Highly recommend. Wow. Amazing. We even had a great chat with the bartender about the homemade bitters and how they make their ice for the drinks (3 different machines!). It's a one of a kind place that's not to be missed.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We got here early on a Wednesday evening and within the hour there was a line outside. I'm glad we arrived early, or we would have missed out on an amazing dining experience. The menu changes daily and is composed of fresh, seasonal ingredients combined with creativity and artistic presentation, reasonable prices, too. Not necessarily fancy - we went in jeans and didn't feel out of place.
I loved the lamb, and my husband had an eggplant pasta preparation and salad. Drinks were great, wine list perfect, service top notch. About the only complaint was the smoky smell from the wood fired oven, but you get used to it. It seems like a place that locals frequent. We only happened upon it after a day of driving around. Exceptional food and drink. We will make a point to visit again next time we are in Boulder.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Lunch at Oaks was a pleasant surprise. Boulder's restaurants often over promise and under deliver, but Oak had really delicious food and very good service. The short ribs at lunch were superb, and my son had a hearty and delicious big burger. The caramel budino was also a real treat. The atmosphere is Boulder casual, no surprise, but the sunny dining room was cheery and warm on a blustery day. Try it, you won't be disappointed.