“Pretty good homestyle Italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Gondolier on Pearl - CLOSED

Gondolier on Pearl
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Grand Junction, CO
“Pretty good homestyle Italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

The food was pretty good, but not super memorable, other than the fact that it seemed to be more authentic than most other Italian restaurants I've been to, although what do I know--I've never been to Italy! I have been to the Italian part of Switzerland, though, if that counts. I did enjoy the handmade pasta, and there were some interesting flavors. The service was poor when we were there, but we saw that our server was running around everywhere. We talked to him about it, and the poor guy was having to wait on far too many tables. I don't know if it was an isolated staffing problem that night, or a common occurrence. We were there on a Thursday night, and he said it was busier than normal for a Thursday night.

• Visited June 2012

Boulder, Colorado
“Classic Italian cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

For down-home Italian classics, you can't beat this place. Homemade noodles, a great marinara sauce, large portions make this a place I return to over and over.

Visited May 2012
Olive Branch, MS
“Somewhere Between”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

Spouse and I spent 3 short days exploring the Boulder area. One night, our Italian craving was getting the best of us so we decided Gondolier would be worth a try. Our mid-week visit didn't require reservations nor did we have to wait for a table. Once seated, the staff was very pleasant and attentive yet not intrusive during our meal.

My wife's dinner choice was the meat lasagna and I chose the chicken parmigiana. Neither selection was over the top but I must say the food is much better than what you would get at Fazoli's but it does fall short of Macroni Grill's quality...Excluding the hidden gems we all know about, I would say the Gondolier is worthy of a visit after a day walking the Pearl Street Mall. If time and transportation is not an issue, locate a Carrabba's Italian Grill and go!!

My next visit to Boulder, I may try Antica Roma...Guests staying at a Boulder Bed and Breakfast seem to think it's worth a visit!!

• Visited February 2012
Boulder, Colorado
“Everything was delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

We had lunch here with our three daughters. Soup, salad, garlic knots, kid's pizza, and alfredo pasta were all yummy. Adults and kids all were happy! Atmosphere and staff were great.

• Visited January 2012
Dunwoody, Georgia
“Good location -- not-so-good food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

After a day of hiking we wanted to go to a decent Italian restaurant to celebrate our last night in Boulder. Reading the reviews left us a choice between two restaurants: one in a strip mall, with great reviews for food; and one downtown where the food was described as “pretty good.” We chose the ambiance of Pearl Street. We chose wrong.

The Gondolier looks good. Contemporary and clean on the inside, nicely situated on the street for outdoor dining. However, the service was spotty and the food no more than mediocre. Three of us ate for $50, which is not too expensive, but I would rather have paid a bit more for something of a better quality.

We started out sharing a house salad with watery dressing. When I asked for bread, the waiter said, “Do you want bread?” I asked if it came with the meal. He said again, “Do you want bread? Or would you like to order some?” Not sure what that meant, we passed, as he was bringing out our main courses by that time.

My daughter and I don’t eat much meat. She chose the vegetable lasagna and I had the penne with sun-dried tomatoes. The cheese in her dish tasted chalky and the noodles were overcooked. The eggplant and sauce were just okay. My pasta had a white sauce that tasted gluey.

My son enjoyed his pork sandwich, but as he pointed out, his came with bread built in. That kept him happy.

We skipped dessert and opted for Glacier Ice Cream down the street. And it was delicious.

• Visited August 2011