“Mediocre food, Terrible service”
Review of Tangier Moroccan Cuisine - CLOSED

Tangier Moroccan Cuisine
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Valmont
Transit: RTD
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Frankly I'm flabbergasted that this place appears anywhere near the top of the list of restaurants in Boulder. Given that when I've been there the restaurant was basically empty you have to wonder who is writing all these glowing reviews...

Anyway the food is at best OK. Kinda greasy, and mostly fairly basic rice meat and potato stews. It aint cheap either despite the low rent locale. But if you have to have Moroccan food then your choices are limited in Boulder.

What particularly sticks in the memory however is the absolutely appalling service. The owner is surly, unhelpful, aggressive (woe betide anyone trying to use a coupon here!) and sloppy. The food is basically thrown on the table. It's almost so bad it's funny. Watch an episode of Fawlty Towers on Netflix and you'll get a pretty good idea...

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was my first Moroccan food experience and it was awesome. The place is super cute and warm and friendly and cozy, and all the food we ordered was excellent. Just don't go close to closing during the week nights. Also know the food is prepared individually and the tangier items take at least a half hour to bake in the oven, so do not be in a hurry here, sit and relax and enjoy your company and some appetizers. Even if you are not brave about different foods - you will enjoy it here - lots of great veggies, chicken, beef and awesome spices.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This little restaurant looks very unassuming from the outside. However, once inside, you certainly get the sense (to quote Dorothy) you are "not in Kansas anymore". The decorative carpets, cushioned seating and travel posters transport you to North Africa. But enough about the ambiance. The food is spectacular. My husband and I ordered the Diafa for two, on the advice of our wonderful server. Although the Tagines were delicious, it was the appetizer- Bastilla (in our case vegetarian) that made the meal. It was absolutely wonderful. (Makes my mouth water just to think about it.) Next time we are in Boulder (October of this year), we will make every effort to visit this wonderful restaurant at least twice.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a Boulder favorite for me and my wife when we visit here in the summer. The atmosphere is very authentically done with lots of richly colored tapestries and pictures of Morocco. The food is awesome! It is always fresh and very unique. I highly recommend this one!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

A great surprise! The service was exceptional. We received tasty recommendations from the menu as well as great ideas on things to do while we were visiting Boulder. The food was a pure experiment for us, and we loved the soup, salad, appetizer (my new favorite food find...chicken bastilla!), and tangine options we tried. The atmosphere was a bonus, with exotic Moroccan decorations to round out the all-around good time. This will be a required stop on all future trips to Boulder!