“Great location, awesome place to stay in Boulder” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colorado Chautauqua National Historic Landmark

Colorado Chautauqua National Historic Landmark
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Great location, awesome place to stay in Boulder”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

These quaint cottages are perfect for friends, families, or anyone who enjoys being close to the mountains. With direct access to the train heads, you don't need to worry about parking near the mountain. They are slightly out of the way of the busy college campus and main street, but still within easy access to both. The cottages range in size, and most have a screened-in porch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SpaghettiDay
MATT H, Manager at Colorado Chautauqua National Historic Landmark, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. We will use your feedback to continually improve our performance. I can speak for everyone at Colorado Chautauqua when I say that we are proud of our accommodations and it is our pleasure to provide you with the most memorable experience possible. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to Boulder.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Paris,France and New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just think of that words : serenity - beauty - nature - silence - mountain trails : and picture yourself in a nicely renovated 1899 cottage ...You are in Chautaqua Park, still in the city of Boulder and its wonderful streets full of greens - but you are also at the foot of the Flatirons ; and from your veranda behind the cottage, you can see the hikers climbing the meadows...peace and quietness for a change, since you have no TV, no telephone, no A/C, no dishwasher and almost no internet... Yes the Chautauqua Association chooses to rent the cottages without the usual amenities - yet the cottages are very clean, simple but comfortable, and if you accept that choice, you find yourself a different person. This is the experience I lived during that week in that unusual and secluded environment. I learned to open the windows at different times of the day in order to get some cool air and to read while listening to the birds' songs in front of a landscape made by the ancient idealists, the Chautauqua themselves, who settled in such a beautiful place.
And despite my cooking in the well-equipped full kitchen, I had the surprise to taste a few unexpected and delighful meals at the " Dining Hall ", as beautifully restored and maintained as the cottages themselves : no wonder, like the old settlers, the Association uses the fresh products of their own farm !!! And would you believe that they serve real tea in teapots, no teabags, and with a timer to infuse tea at your satisfaction !!!
No cleaning service during your stay : you are on your own, but you have so much more space than in an hotel room for an equivalent price, and the serenity I already mentioned has no price.
Last but not least : the people at the registration office are always VERY kind and happy to help you with small necessities or change of linens ; they also suggest you to have your groceries delivered to your door in case you do not even want to move your car from your paradise.
YOU GOT IT : I loved my stay, especially after a disastrous stop at a Boulder Best Western...
And despite my sometimes bitter reviews on Trip Advisor as a well travelled French lady, I found a place which won my heart and my 5 stars...
Just remember to bring your mobile phone in your cottage ! Watch the stars instead of television...
And say hello from the french lady !!
PS : no problem with parking - you can park anywhere, even if not in front of your own cottage.

Room Tip: Usually very busy, but try to get one of the cottages ALONG the trails, either west or east, they ar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 446Froggie68
park city UT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

The cottages at chetaqua are a quaint little spot to stay in Boulder. They are in a leafy park that abuts the flatirons so if you intend to do some hiking this is an ideal spot.

The cottages themselves vary in size considerably. We had unit 411 and it was very nice, with a large sitting area and kitchen, a small bedroom, a large bathroom and a porch. The cottages have clearly been redone by the park service so they have that institutional feel but are nevertheless not sterile. There is some charming artwork on the walls and a book about the history of the spot. All the cottages are walking distance from the dining room that serves very good food. All of this is also only a few minutes by car or bike from the center of Boulder so if you need to come to town and want something other than a traditional hotel this would be a great option. While I didn’t have my kids with me I would imagine this would be a great place to stay with kids – roomy, safe, plenty of outdoor space and cheap.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cowes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed in cabin/s and a room, all in one week due to availability. Loved the cabins. Best bits: own space, verandor, kitchen with all necessities, no television, large double bed and pull-out double bed/sofa, comfy chairs, towels provided, excellent shower in 409, adequate shower in 411. Arrived late but arrangements for getting into cabin very good - instructions via email. Great views and easy accessibility of walks/trails up the Flatirons [yes, shape of rocks compared to Victorian flat irons]. Great flat area to play frizzbee!
Not so good: FRIDGE noise was AWFUL, in cabins and room - very, very hard to acclimatize to when sleeping, [thought about turning it off but didn't want to wake up to a flood on the floor], no shop on site [we had no car] so self-catering was by ordering by phone or buying food each day; a few more complimentary teabags/coffee sachets would have been welcome; aware that parking was a huge issue - the space outside our cabin was taken every day. The staff at the reservation desk were very helpful. The staff and the food at the Dining Hall were also excellent.

Room Tip: choose a cabin. Also 411 has wider access, e.g. for a wheelchair
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lafayette, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We spent an enjoyable week at the facility, while traveling throughout Denver, Fort Collins, Loveland and Lyons. The small cottages are comfortable and quiet, but we had the misfortune of being lodged near the office and housekeeping facilities. Invariably, the scarce parking spaces near our cottage were co-opted by the (very loud!) Mexican housekeeping staff, despite the fact that they have their own parking area. Adding to the problem, day visitors (hikers, cyclists, concertgoers, etc.) filled up all parking spaces by the cottages.

I recommend that you DO visit Chautauqua, and rent a cottage FAR REMOVED FROM THE MAIN OFFICE. You will enjoy the serenity if the location, far from television and the bustle of the city.

Room Tip: Book a cottage far removed from the main office and concert/meeting venues, so you have a chance of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JEANPIERRE M
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you go to Boulder, the place to check out is Chautauqua Park. So in that respect, it makes Chautauqua Cottages an ideal choice since it is located right next to the park. The cottages themselves are also quaint like a mini home with all the basic amenities you would have in your home eg stove, microwave, toaster, dishes, silverware, etc.

HOWEVER, after my week long stay there, I discovered it is not a hotel although we paid hotel prices ie $200+ per night.

Why value for money is terrible:
1) Service is poor.
a) Although my family had reserved a certain cottage, CC conveniently moved my family to another cottage to allow other patrons to stay together, which would be understandable if CC bothered to compensate us or apologize for the inconvenience, which it did not.
b) Except for the guy who comes to collect your garbage, CC basically forgets about you. For example, when I requested for additional coffee, they forgot the first day and on the second day after requesting for coffee again, it took several hours. In any hotel, it would take 5min.

2) No one comes to collect your towels. So if you want fresh ones, you have to walk them down to the laundry area yourself which can be far away depending on where you stay.

3) Complimentary WIFI and Premium WIFI are BOTH TERRIBLE!! The complimentary wifi is spotty at best, especially depending on where you are located because WIFI is shared between several cottages. When I signed up for the PAID premium service it did not work and when I called technical service they had no idea what the problem was and could not help me.

4) No difference in price between a duplex and a normal cottage. I stayed in both. The duplex is far worse than a normal cottage because the walls are so thin that you can hear your neighbors easily.

Overall, I would say it is great if you are looking for a place which is one or two steps above camping. But an outdoor cottage resort CC is not. If it was priced half of what we paid, I would say it's worth the stay. But after one debacle after another, I believe it is overpriced and misrepresented.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the duplexes unless you're sharing with family members on both sides. Otherwis...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrew S
Thank you so much for your comments. We will use your feedback to continually improve our performance. Please accept my apologies for the poor service that you received during your stay. I can speak for everyone at Colorado Chautauqua when I say that we are proud of our accommodations and it is our pleasure to provide you with the most memorable experience possible. I am ashamed and embarrassed that we were unable to exceed your expectations. I can assure you that when you return to Colorado Chautauqua, you will have a completely different experience. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to Boulder.
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Charming historic cabin with full kitchen, screened in porch. Others had parking issues, I did not. Walking distance to Flatiron trails, downtown. Dogs loved it. Humans loved it. Can't wait to go back. It is somehow even better to know you are staying at a national historic landmark...

Room Tip: Map of cottages is available to help select.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends