“Barely adequate”

Isle Casino Hotel Black Hawk
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We've been going up to Black Hawk for several years but usually stay at the Ameristar as they are always sending offers for free rooms. This weekend was Veterans Day weekend and they were sold out so we decided to try the Isle of Capri. We always liked its casino but never stayed there.

After this last weekend we never will again. The front desk staff just seemed sullen and I asked the lady I dealt with (Tess) for an updated room after reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews. I'm surprised her nose didn't grow but she said "all the rooms have been updated except the fifth floor". We got a room on the 8th floor and it was truly something out of the 90's with a big tube TV, a strange blonde oak colored bed and furniture with scrapes everywhere with one lamp that worked, one that didn't. I don't know if I've stayed in such a bad room-it reminded me of a Comfort Inn I stayed in 20 years in Salt Lake City and vowed never to return.

The rooms and bathroom were small. The door looked like something from government building and the only good thing I could say about it is the heat worked. We went down the elevator and got a glimpse of the 5th floor-it was completely stripped to the concrete floors and drywall but they put people on that floor (must be the Priceline floor)-it was hard to believe.

The buffet was full of synthetic tasteless food-the salmon was actually was put out frozen on the buffet serving line. We left early the next day and went to the Ameristar.

I was really surprised by this place (sadly) but the other reviews are right-and the travelers pictures don't lie-you don't want to stay here!

Room Tip: Call the Ameristar
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gben88

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself is worn and tired, and just booking alone was a major fiasco between the website and the toll free number. The food on the buffet (which is easy to earn free meals @ the casino) is very bland and typical. The only redeeming grace was the gentleman at the front desk (funny brown hair, believe his name is Chris) who, at my first mention of frustration, upgraded us to the whirlpool suite I had specifically tried to book, and threw in free dinners for us. He was a sweet gent who tried his best, and it was noticed.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank britbabe510
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband likes to gamble at the Isle, so thought we'd go ahead and stay the night here. Was so disappointed in the decor. As we walked from the elevator to our room, the wallpaper on the walls was ripped and coming off in so many areas. The rounded corners had marks all over them. Was afraid of what our room would look like. Surprisingly, our room was nice and clean. However, the bedside lamp shade was coming apart as was the lamp shade by the chair. When I moved the curtains, there was some trash on the floor, guess they forgot to vacuum over there. The bathroom was a little odd. French type of doors and only one would stay open. There was an outlet in the back of a shelf, and another that was under the counter and it didn't even have a cover over it. A little dangerous, don't you think??? The bed, I will say, was comfy. The casino was very nice, though. I can see why my husband thought this would be a good place to stay. Very clean, very nice dealers and employees. We had a delicious appetizer and drinks in the bar and our dinner at Farradays was wonderful. The breakfast buffet was very disappointing. We got there at 9:45 and they had already closed most of it so they could get ready for lunch. Our omelettes were good, but the sausage and hash browns were awful. Think we'll check out Ameristar next time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tsljh
Reviewed September 27, 2012

On a whim I decided to go to Black Hawk. Found a deal on the internet,$69 a night tue/wed. Decided to stay. Decor is very worn and tired. Front desk staff were very friendly easy check in. No smoking in the casino makes things nice in hotel also. Carpet in hallways old, worn, stained. The room (stayed in 551), had old decor. The wall paper was coming off the walls (slightly). HOWEVER...the room smelled clean. Hard to explain but it smelled clean. The linens (sheets/towels) smelled clean and not like chlorine bleach. King bed was comfortable. Bath was large with coffee maker. No fridge or microwave. Carpet in room was clean. Other than hearing a few doors slam shut it was relatively quiet. T.V. had limited free channels but I wasn't there to stay in the room. Housekeeping really payed attention to detail when cleaning the room.

I ate at Calypso for dinner and had the "all you can eat crab legs". WOW...really good and enough to feed an army. They never ran out and it was always hot. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. I was impressed with this considering how many people they have to deal with.

Check out was easy and quick. If you need an affordable comfy place to stay consider the Isle. It's not the Ritz but hey for $69 a night.....

I would go back for this price. The staff really tries and they seem to care. This is an average 3 star hotel maybe a 2 star. With a revamped decor through out this could easily be a 4 star due to the professionalism of the staff. Don't know if they have plans to remodel soon. Of course if they did I think the $69 deal would go away.....Oh yeah they have on site covered (free) parking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Two-Mile-Hi-Diver
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel but spent a few hours in the casino. We signed up for the players club and go a free buffet after 30 min of play and $5 cash for giving them our e mail. Had a good time and enjoyed the buffet, A quick day trip from Denver.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cholowiski
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed there on August 12th and 13th and weren't really impressed. Yes the room does look nice and the bathroom isn't tiny but the floor turned my socks black, we only had 16 TV channels, no microwave, no mini-fridge. We payed $90 and $80 plus taxes and got actually very little in return, I mean I have spent the night in other hotels whose prices are at least 1/3 cheaper and get alot more amenties. The only real entertainment at this hotel is the casino because if you want to spend anytime in your room it can be very boring and frustrating. We were extremely limited in our viewing choices unless we wanted to pay for movies, we were unable to have access to cold drinks in our room (you have to constantly run out to somewhere) but there are some pro's to our experience, the bed was comfy and king sized, the bathroom was nicely sized and not cramped, we did have a coffee pot, iron and in room safe. This was my first trip to Black Hawk and I know that if I ever go back it won't be to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed for a night at the Isle, and it was a pleasant surprise. The room (and especially the beds) were comfortable, and the bathroom was spacious and modern. Access down to the casino was easy as well. When you sign up for their players club, you get a free buffet, which is a good deal on a Saturday night ($22.99). Not the Bellagio buffet, but a good deal for free!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 14 in Winter Park
Eldora Lodge
Eldora Lodge
#3 of 18 in Golden

Been to Isle Casino Hotel Black Hawk? Share your experiences!