“Awful Buffet”

Add it.
Fitzgeralds Casino
Ranked #10 of 16 things to do in Black Hawk
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Used to enjoy a special meal out at Don B's Steakhouse when this was Fitzgerald's. Tried to the new buffet with a free coupon and boy was I glad I did not pay for this awful meal! The food was sparse, tasteless and cold. Very few choices and nothing was good. Don't waste your $$$!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Fitzgeralds Casino in Black Hawk is now the Saratoga Casino, as of June of this year. The casino was extensively renovated by the new owners and now includes an eatery called the "Garden Buffet". I ate at this brand new buffet (on July 9, 2013) and this is my (brief) impression:

1. The Price - $9.99 all day, $2.00 discount for Players Club cardholders and Seniors. You can also use points off of your card.

2. The Décor – Small, but nice and clean. Many two and four-person tables throughout, no booths.

3. The Serving Area – One small, single line with bread/rolls at one end and desserts/ice cream at the other end. There are no small placards to tell you what dish you’re looking at so I wasn’t sure what some stuff was. I don’t think there is a made-to-order area.

4. The Food – Food selection was okay, but limited (due to the space available). There didn’t seem to be a particular method to how the selections were placed. I’m not a big vegetable eater, but I did notice that there was a noticeable lack of vegetables on the menu. I think they had some mixed vegetable and what looked like asparagus, and that was it. There was a good variety of meats but only a few pasta dishes. I did not notice what (if any) kind of soups were available.

5. The Drinks – They serve Pepsi products in very large Pepsi glasses and also have some mixed alcoholic drinks available.

6. The Taste – I had sliced turkey, fried shrimp and white (buttery, I think) rice for round one. The turkey was very tender but needed more seasoning, the shrimp was good but a bit overcooked and the rice tasted kinda bland. Round two consisted of Italian Sausage, semi-mashed potatoes and a garlic-cheesy biscuit. The sausage and biscuit were very good while the potatoes were bland. I put some "turkey gravy" on them (Identified by a sign surprisingly) but it was the consistency of water and was a very light brown. Needless to say, it didn’t add any flavor.

7. The Desserts – Small selection of cakes, pies and cookies. The ice cream is of the hard-serve Cold Stone Creamery variety (that’s what the hostess said) and they can mix flavors up for you if you’d like. I saw only four flavors of ice cream. The carrot cake I had was very good.

8. The Service- The Hostess was very friendly (she was still in training) and my server was nice and attentive (it wasn’t busy at all though).

9. The Result – I thought the place was decent but the variety and taste of the food leaves a bit to be desired – so far. Hopefully things will improve as time goes by. Recommend trying it at least once//MH

2  Thank Murray8ch
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is now 'The Saratoga'! We found it nicely redecorated and sign of 'newness' all around. Spent about an hour looking around and playing slots. Nice atmosphere but no special events going on. Nothing to keep us there for long.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Were there June 13, over 60% of casino going through renovation cutting up casino slot areas so much that access is confusing. Didn't stay long

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We always have a nice time here. The place is several stories with loads of slots, $5 blackjack tables and free coffee to keep you going. Whether you gamble or not, there's entertaining things to see.