“Refused to fix problems with room!!!!!!”

Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Booking was for a king size bed in room - on check in none available. This is a honeymoon!
4 large fans blowing in the corridor outside our room drying a stinky carpet - huge noise.
Heater in room would not go below 72deg. We are from a cold climate. Boiled - no opening windows
Pillows were so flat they felt like pillow cases only.

Biggest issue. We asked them to take care of the above and they referred us to expedia who we booked the hotel through??????. When we checked out after the first night they refused to refund us the second night, again referring us to "expedia"

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank inttravel65

Reviewed March 18, 2010

We were looking for a fun, relaxing place to have a teacher's "getaway" during Spring Break! The drive from Denver was gorgeous up through the canyon! From the moment the first employee at the hotel greeted us while valet parking, we knew we had found the right place! After a quick check-in, we arrived in room 2701, a room with a VIEW of the city! It was stunning- not only at night, but the blue skies in the morning against the snowy mountains were breathtaking! The room was wonderful! Outstanding bathroom, totally comfy bedding, large flat screen, sitting area, soft colors-everything for a relaxing two nights. We ate at the buffet-warm crab legs, prime rib, , oriental food, garlic knots, ribs, pasta bar AND a chocolate fountain with strawberries! We gambled the night away-won $450 in one hour at 21! Caught a couple of wins on the slots too! Free alcohol drinks while gambling, and also free pop/coffee/hot cocoa stands on both levels! We sat in the bar downstairs and listened to a great band! We took the free shuttle outside the door for a ride around the town. Breakfast in the Fireside-try the sausage pancakes... chunks of sausage inside them! The best part of the hotel is the rooftop pool! It is enclosed during the winter with folding glass doors that I presume will be open during the summer. We sat in the OUTSIDE hot tub during a snow shower at night (the cystal fire pits are spectacular) and then went back the next day to sit in the beautiful Colorado sun and relaxed to the spa type music, while sitting in the tub. We tried to book a spa treatment, but they were full. We ran into many many happy guests! Everyone seemed to be having a great time! We heard NO complaints from any quests! Head up there.... we can't WAIT to go back !

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
ameristar, Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2010

Thank you for your glowing recommendation of Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk. We are glad your stay during Spring Break exceeded your expectations. We really appreciate your descriptiveness about our location and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed March 9, 2010

We arrived on Friday night and were immediately attended to at the front desk by a very kind young lady. We were asked how high up we wanted to be and what sort of view we were interested in. The room was large and clean, as was the bathroom. We enjoyed the casino. My son used the fitness center. I was going to schedule a massage at the spa but didn't have enough time. We all felt the week-end was wonderful and the place was fantastic. Can't wait to go back!

(We enjoyed the food at the Fireside but thought the service may have been a little slow there.)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Congratulations to your husband on his retirement, and thank you for choosing Ameristar Casino Resort Spa as the place to celebrate! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback regarding the slow service in Fireside. Your feedback hass been shared with our restaurant leadership team and helps us to identify areas where we can improve. We hope to welcome you back soon and that you’ll have enough time to enjoy the spa as well!

Reviewed February 27, 2010

Where should I start?! Everything about the stay at the Ameristar was horrible. I think that it might be best that I just make a list of everything that went wrong!
1. Arrived at check-in time, We were met with a HUGE line that took us 30-45 minutes to get though. Once I got to the front I was told that we had a smoking room reserved. Employee was uninterested that we were being put into the wrong kind of room and insisted that we had reserved a smoking room because "the computers aren't wrong".
2. Got up to the room. It was incredibly smokey!! I called the operator who also said that they had no non-smoking rooms avalible. She did tell me that if you select non-smoking when reserving your room and they are booked the computer will still make the reservation but in a smoking room. She offered to send up an ionizer that would help with the smell but we had to leave the room for 2 hours for it to work. We agreed to this and she said that she would send one up right away.
3. Got back to our room 3 hours later to discover that no ionizer was ever sent up. Called the operator again and explained our situation AGAIN. The gentleman I spoke to was VERY RUDE! Stated that this whole problem was my fault because I selected the wrong type of room. I asked to speak to his manager. He said "Fine" and put me on hold for about 5 minutes. Once he got back on he said that the manager couldn't speak to me right now and would have to call back within 15 minutes. Someone did call back 15 minutes later but it was just someone wanting to bring up the ionizer. I asked him why the manager hadn't called back and he said that she had gotten off work at six and gone home (it was about 6:05 at this point. Convienent!) He assured me that she would be calling me tomorrow to discuss my issues.
4. Had the ionizer brought up. We had decided to go to the hotels resturaunt for dinner. When we got down there we were greeted with a "Closed Monday and Tuesdays" Sign. What!? Seriously? Long story, short we walked over to The Lodge for dinner and were suprised by some lovely mice during dinner.
5. At this point my day has been ruined and i'm near tears. Decided to call it a day and retire to my smokey room. The next morning (8:00am) we were awoken by hammering in the room below us (repairing a bathroom problem). The room next to us thought it was us that was making the noises and decided that it would be a good idea to pound on our wall. We packed our things right away and got out of there! Again asked to speak to the manager upon check out and she was "unavailable".
It has been a week since my visit to the Ameristar. I haven't received a call back from the manager and have left several additional messages. When I first got back, I thought maybe I was just over-reacting and would wait to write my review. After waiting, my feelings are still the same: I have never felt more disrespected by a hotel and its staff before. The only good thing I have to say is that the room was decorated very nicely. I hope my birthday stay isn't an indicator of how my year is going to go!

11  Thank BennySnow

Thank you for providing your candid feedback regarding your recent stay at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk. We are disappointed to hear the challenges you had while staying with us and your feedback is invaluable as we learn of opportunities where we can make improvements. We do our best to accommodate all guest requests; however, we do apologize that we failed in ensuring you received your requested non-smoking room. Not having a manager available to help resolve your concerns is unacceptable, and all the items listed during your experience will be reviewed with the leadership team. We do hope you will consider giving us another chance to exceed your expectations and create a memorable experience. Thank you again for sharing your experience; we are committed to improving and preventing these concerns from happening again.

Reviewed February 23, 2010

My husband and I were on a two night get-away. Wanted a nice room for a decent price. We got the best price on Hotels dot com. For a room of this quality in Denver we'd have to pay between one-twenty to one-fifty.

Very nice furnishings in the room. Real quality. Very spacious. Two easy chairs so you can watch TV without being on the bed. Very large flat screen. Generous bathroom with separate shower, soaking tub and toilet room. Bedding was lovely. Plenty of pillow types to choose from. We were in 3204. It didn't have a view, would ask for one next time. Loved being on the top floor. Close to outdoor hot tub and nice pool area.

Casino folks were very friendly. Nice bar area with live music sometimes. Several large fireplaces. We ate at the snack bar and the lunch buffet. Nothing special, but it hit the spot.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk for your couples get-away trip. We really appreciate your compliments and look forward to sharing them with our team. Our staff prides themselves on their friendliness and helpfulness. We will be glad to honor your request for a view on your next stay!

Reviewed February 20, 2010

Third visit to the Ameristar for husband and I. Hotel is clean and comfortable. Rooms are nice. Casino is fun. Dealers very friendly. Only complaint is the food. Wayside deli is fine for snacks. But if you are looking for a nice dinner, chances are you will be disappointed. We tried the Fireside several times. The atmosphere is cozy and clean. The food is below average. Did not try the buffet as it looked pretty scary. It's a shame because this would be a great play to stay otherwise.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank onaxiaojie
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We reserved a non-smoking room and was told when we got there that reservation was not a guarantee. We were also too late to cancel. They said they would use and ionizer and make the room smell better but it did not work. We went to the front desk and they said there was nothing they would do, they were booked full and didn't care at that point.
Left messages for the manager to call about our problems finally got called back 4 days later. He wouldn't refund us, but would "hook us up" with a better room next time.
So if you want to room you requested, you better have a "hook up".

9  Thank dust0000
#2 of 23 in Boulder
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#3 of 14 in Winter Park

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk? Share your experiences!