“Absolutely best hotel we have ever stayed in!”

Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
“Absolutely best hotel we have ever stayed in!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at ameristar for our honeymoon. Originally we had the deluxe king room but, there was an odd odor and we upgraded to the spa suite for only $50 more a night due to the inconvenience of the odor. The room was magnificent and in no way lacking. We had a 26th floor room facing the town. It was absolutely gorgeous! We didn't have any luck at the casino though, the best luck I had was at mardi gras across the street. As for food, fireside kitchen was superb. We had the chicken fried steak and it was the best I've ever tasted! I highly recommend you too stay in this hotel... maybe just gamble elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed July 13, 2014

For my husband's birthday, I made reservations for us in the Deluxe Spa Suite spending almost $500 for one night. It was absolutely worth every penny. The room exceeded our expectations. It was very clean. All the staff were efficient. The room had a safe in it which was so convenient and allowed us to take what we needed for cash and keep credit cards and electronics locked up. We will absolutely do it again.
My ONLY COMPLAINT is that every time we called for in room dining, it went to voicemail and we did not receive a call back.

Room Tip: Spend the money for a spa suite. We stayed on floor 26 and the view was phenomenal and it was mostly...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Whitewater, Colorado
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Pinnacle Entertainment bought out Ameristar last year and took over managing the Blackhawk resort in January (according to a source at the hotel). Supposedly, "the jury is still out" on whether this management change is considered positive or negative by the staff.

For us, the changes we saw were all consistently negative, such as: 1) Slots were super-tight when we were there as compared to previous visits, but we can't say whether this is now the "new norm" or not--just what we experienced. 2) The carpet in our room was just plain filthy. It turned my white socks black on the bottom in a matter of a few steps. Not what we have experienced in previous visits. Carpets use to be clean. 3) The shower stall stank like sewer/mold when I opened the shower door. I think the smell came from the drain, as the walls looked reasonably clean, but the stench was nasty. 4) Apparently Pinnacle does not follow the same rules as Ameristar regarding treatment of their Player's Club members. We used to get monthly flyers/cards with deals on room rates and other discounts. NO MORE! Apparently you must use your Player's Card frequently (multiple times in a year) to continue getting those offers. Two or three times a year is not enough. That's what I was told on the phone when making the room reservations.

So, while changes like this may provide Pinnacle with a higher profit margin, these changes did NOT make a positive impression on us. Thankfully, other casino resorts in Blackhawk have not instituted such customer unfriendly "rules", so we will choose to stay elsewhere when we next plan a trip to Blackhawk. Most unfortunate, as we previously liked staying at the Ameristar.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Colorado_Rick
Parker
Reviewed July 9, 2014

If things go wrong no one will help you.

I book a reservation online directly with the Ameristar Web-Site. This is no third party web-site, but the hotel website directly. I add 2 people to my room when I make the reservation. This included my partner and his father. I still have a reservation confirmation showing the names of the other 2 people on the reservation. I check in and we decide we want to get another room. We are given another room So me and my partner go to our room (the original room we booked) and use one of the keys and it works with no issue. We go downstairs and start gambling My partner not a big gambler says I'm done and I'm going to the room. I give him the other key to the room and leave the Hotel to go to other Casino's. The key I gave my partner did not work so he went down to the front desk. The front desk told him he was not on the reservation, would not help him at all and was very rude to him. He tried to call me on his cell phone, but forget about cell phones working in this town. He had to wait hours for me to return and he was very very unhappy about the way the front desk handled the situtation.

In checking out I showed the manager my hard copy resevation from the Hotel Web-Site that showed my partner's name on it as an additional quest on the reservation. She made a copy of the reservation and said she would have someone contact me for the inconvience.

In walking out of hotel we ran into the CSM and we explained how unhappy we were about the way we were treated. The CSM gather my contact information and said Bob would give me a call.

I'M STILL WAITING FOR A CALL. No one has contacted me. Not the Hotel Manager or Bob. They said we are looking into what happen and will call you. Nothing, No Response, Nada, etc.

After this hotel has your money they don't care about you or any type of Customer Service.

I'm hoping with this review that management will contact me..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank ParkerRon
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to hear about your partner's experience. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and what you describe certainly does not meet our standards. I thank you for this opportunity to allow us to redeem our service. Please feel fee to email the details of your reservation such confirmation number, name and check in date along with contact information to GSC@pnkmail.com so that I may forward to the appropriate personnel. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Salida, Colorado
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Buffet was not up to par this trip with all my previous visits. Always loved their Caesars salad since I'm a vegeterian but it wasn't available this time. Server never came after I was seated. Room reserved wasn't available on checkin, and room I took had hard as a rock bed, had to be moved later in the day to another room. Coffee pot in room had wrong size pot in it and the drawer filled with coffee that morning, housekeeping put wrong size in maker. Wifi connection was the worst of any hotel I've ever stayed at. Wondering if the new ownership is going to take this wonderful hotel down, hope not, but first visit since the change and it was quite different this time. All previous vists were more than excellent.

Room Tip: Request high floor, city facing or you willo be looking deadon to a mountain, not a scenic view, it...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Butch R
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience, Butch. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and what you describe certainly does not meet our standard. I sincerely apologize for all that went wrong during your most recent visit. I went ahead and sent your review to our property team for review. We will work hard to really impress you on your next visit. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to improve our service and for being our guest.
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

stayed in the ameristar sept 2013 for 3 nights,lovely clean room ,very comfortable beds.bathroom very modern and spotless.we were room only.the romms are above the casino and it is only over the road from other casinos,there is also free shutles between casinos in blackhawk and central city but it is walkable.

Room Tip: not sure.pool and spar on top floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank john h
John, It's great to read a review as pleasant as this. I am so pleased your stay was comfortable and conveniently located. Thank you for sharing your experience and for being our guest. Please come back to visit soon.
Cheyenne
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Ameristar provides comfort and friendly service. When we opened the door to our room, I couldn't believe how beautiful yet comfortable it looked. We had a lovely hillside view. The bathroom has so much room. The inviting glass-encased shower is separate from the bathtub. The room and bathroom are decorated with modern features. The bed was comfortable. I would love to experience the roof top pool the next time we stay. The only thing I had trouble with was that the bathroom was a little dimly lit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Thank you for the great review, Michelle! The stunning views and separate tub and shower certainly are popular features. I'm pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay and apologize for the dim bathroom lighting. I look forward to your next visit to enjoy the roof-top pool. Thank you for being our guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Black Hawk
#2 of 20 in Boulder
Eldora Lodge
Eldora Lodge
#3 of 18 in Golden

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk? Share your experiences!