“Losing favor with me”

Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I just read the review by Bette B and I can't agree more. I keep giving Ameristar a chance to keep me as a customer but I am truly done with the place for a long time. My last stay (last week) was alright in that the hotel desk staff was efficient and pleasant, the spa lovely as usual (though the massage prices are too high) but the casino experience was a bust again. I have not won there the last four times my husband and I have gone. Room was clean except there was piece of broken glass on one of the chairs that someone easily could have sat on had the sun not glinted off it and I saw it. The shower was dripping and leaving a puddle...how does housekeeping not notice this? Buffet food (except the dessert bar) has really gone down in quality. If a person wants to stay in BH then Ameristar is the best choice, but if you have been a regular for years you should definitely notice a decline in the overall experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank ren8107
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to be the best casino and hotel destination. What you describe certainly does not meet our standards. I have sent your concern to the hotel management team. Thank you for being our loyal guest.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Have stayed in the past with 1st owners and had wonderful time, good choice of slots, rooms very nice, staff great. Returned and now under new ownership. Slots were very, very tight, everyone complaining. Took away all the good comps, raised prices of food. Comp play almost non-existent and I have an Elite card. Room was not cleaned on the 2nd night, dirty glasses and coffee pot and cups left on bedside table, blankets left on floor. Told front desk to send someone up to finish cleaning room, took forever and this was at 7:00 p.m. WHen I returned to check on room, they were washing out the coffee pot and cups in the bathroom sink which I thought was disgusting & told them I wanted new clean cups and glasses and Oh yes they left me 2 extra chocolates for the inconvenience!!

Room Tip: High floor with city view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Bette B
Reviewed March 20, 2014

First let me say, the Ameristar comps the best of any Hotel/Casino in Blackhawk or Central city with money and free rooms. I go up once a week to the Ameristar. I’ve visited most of the gambling establishments in Blackhawk and Central city and have found that for us gamblers the Ameristar is the most profitable, comfortable and generally enjoyable Hotel/Casinos in Blackhawk and Central city. The Ameristar has a pool and a fitness room. The hot water in the rooms gets there fast and they have some nice amenities in the rooms including different types of tea and coffee all free. I play video poker and actually fair fairly well. The girls that serve the drinks are all 10’s and very pleasant to look at. The general crowds that are regulars at the Ameristar are a good ole fashion bunch of Colorado spirited gamblers that are easy to talk to and always motivated to win. The music is pretty good with variety of old and new tunes. When I take guests up we will usually eat in the buffet for dinner and at the Fireside restaurant for breakfast. Both are clean and serve well-prepared tasty foods. The Ameristar is managed the way a profitable gambling establishment should be managed. When you spend the night in the hotel if they have your e-mail address they will send you a detailed survey that will give you the chance to report to the management what you liked or disliked and how they can improve their service to you. I like these surveys very much. If you report a legitimate complaint the management will correct it. Also one last thing, if you happen to be playing video poker and have a problem with a machine and you press the light to summon a slot tech, don’t worry the slot tech with be there in less than five minutes. Their slot techs are really fast and have always managed to fix any problem with any of the machines I have asked them to look at. You’ll find the work ethic of the employees of the Ameristar is not an apathetic careless attitude that is demonstrated in some of the inferior Hotel/Casinos but a genuine ambitious spirit to help you enjoy yourself so you will return to the Ameristar.

Room Tip: I like my rooms to be far away from the elevators (I don't mind the walk) because then my stay e...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Nefesh B
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Wow, it certainly sounds like you are having the experience we strive to provide! Thank you for sharing your feedback and for being our loyal guest. I will be sure to pass your comments along to our property team. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here on a sunday night in early March. Stay on the 26th floor in an accesible room (all other king rooms were sold out). Very large room with a king bed with plenty of pillows. Bed was firm but comfortable. Great view. Big screen TV. Very large bathroom, which was nicely appointed. Everything was very clean. We did hear people speaking loudly in the hall. Really big, heated pool on the upper level. The pool is enclosed. Very big hotel, casino and resort. We would stay here again

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The property is beautiful and upscale. I truly enjoyed my stay once I had the AC filter changed in my room. Erik Vermishyan from the front desk also helped me secure an oscillating fan for my room. He was very nice and accomodating. After cooling my room down, everything was great. Beautiful views from my room and the bathroom is awesome with a separate shower and toilet room.

I'm not a big gambler but the casino was nice. I agree with the other posts that the machines are not loose. I went across the street (MG) and was able to win over there.

I didn't eat at the buffet but was surprised at the late opening. I ate in the Fireside Grill and the food was good but they didn't serve mixed drinks. The only options were beer, wine or vodka. Not sure why and they should seriously rethink that choice.

Overall, it was a nice stay. Not much to do outside of the casino besides enjoy the views. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. Not even a general store nearby that I know of. The workers were all nice and a waiter even told me that the company had a room for him since he was working a double shift and early the next morning. Awesome thing to do especially since driving up on 6 and 119 is very curvy. I wouldn't want to be out there tired. Another thing I agree with is that this location is not for kids.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I received advice that this was the best hotel of the "casino/hotels" in the area from a poker forum. The guys were right. The beds were excellent. The hot tub on the roof was awesome. They also have an indoor hot tub and pool.......Tip...ask for a robe to be delivered to your room and bring it to the pool/hot tub.

The only complaint I have is that the sink in the bathroom was not cleaned very well. Toothpaste residue was left from the last guest and a soda was left in the frig. This makes me think the housekeeper did not do a 100% cleaning. But the sheets were clean as was everything else.

Food: Only ate the buffet. Typical casino buffet. Good choices. The Asian food was excellent. Sliced meat was also very good. Service was excellent.

Gambling experience: About 10-12 table games were running, and about 4 were $10 BJ tables (this was on a Wednesday night). I would assume Fr/Sat this stakes go up for most tables. Also had 3-card poker and 4-card poker, and 1 crap table running. Supposedly they have roulette, but I did not see it (I probably missed it). Lots of slot machines.

Poker room had 3 to 6 tables running. Most common stakes are $1-2 no limit and $30-60 LIMIT holdem. If you want to play the 30-60 game, most people buy-in for at least $1,000.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Check in at approx 5:45 p.m. was fast and simple. Clerk, Karli, was very friendly and efficient. We ate at the deli twice. I will review that separately. The food is good with large portions but you have to 'bus' your own tables and the dining area was disgusting...like an elementary school gym/cafeteria after a weeks worth of use and no attention! This hotel is the best in BHawk. Rooms are updated and well furnished. Separate bath vs. shower. The shower head is a little high for short people but my 6'3" husband loves it. Took me a while to get water hot but was really hot for a great shower to start my day. Starbucks clerk, Kelsey, is awesome. She does the work of three people all by herself. All types of slots available. Not much variety for video poker. It would be nice if they would get some Wheel Poker Deluxe to add to the 2 recently added Wheel Poker machine. They do have some multi poker game up and downstairs. Some Progressive poker is also available. The pay tables on video poker are horrendous. I don't understand why they don't loosen up the pay tables and tell everyone in the country about it. They would have so many more customers from all over the country that would be paying for rooms/meals/spa visit and bringing others that would play slots and table games if the casinos would just loosen up the VP pay schedules to something FAIR.

Room Tip: The higher the better, ask for a view of town not the hillside.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#3 of 14 in Winter Park
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk? Share your experiences!