“Openly hostile to families”

Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I did not come for the casino. Actually, I don't gamble at all. Don't like it. I came for a conference. I only knew the conference was in the mountains of Colorado. Great! Usually these conferences are at nice hotels. So, nice hotel, mountains of Colorado ... I brought the kids. Big mistake. The hotel should say it's adults-only and should not market to conferences. I did not know it was at a casino until after I registered for the conference. Ok, well, casino ... I've been to casinos in Vegas that were very kid friendly. Anyway, we got here and the room wasn't ready yet. No biggie. We were early. We waited in the hotel lobby. My daughter had to use the bathroom. Ok, we passed by one on the way in, NOT on the casino floor. I sent her with her brother to the bathroom. The kids are 9 and 11 and can handle a trip to the bathroom. Security detained my children and told them they would have to wait there until I came looking for them. My daughter managed to get away and informed me of what was going on. Since then we have had a half dozen run-ins with security as ALL the restaurants and coffee shop are in the casino area. I was threatened with a $1000 fine when I tried to take my kids to Starbucks. I consider it harassment. We went to the pool at 8:30 and were kicked out at 9pm - even though we are paying customers - as 9pm starts 'adults only'. I tried to schedule some time for us at the spa, but is is adults-only. Ok, I've been to spas in Houston, San Antonio, Galveston, Orlando, and various cruises where kids were allowed, This was the FIRST adults-only spa I've encountered. If they are going to be so hostile to families, they should make the hotel adults-only and should not market to conferences. Oh, and you can't order your room service breakfast the night before. Weird. And there's nothing to do in the vicinity. This has been AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank HoustonMomofTwo
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

I'm so sorry you felt this way. We welcome children to our facility if they are under the supervision of their parents, however, due to gaming regulations, we do not allow anyone under the age of 21 on the casino floor. Hotel guests and their children are also welcome at our rooftop pool from 7am-9pm. We do have adult only hours for two hours a day from 9-11pm. We thank you for your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Please feel free to contact us at atyourservicebh@ameristar.com and our Hotel staff would be happy to reach out to you to discuss your stay with you further.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,460)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

After reading all of the glowing reviews for this resort, I had high hopes. We planned on using Ameristar as our homebase for three days. I was ready to leave after just one.
Location: It is not close to anything. The only dining choices are located within the casino. So, if you aren't a buffet person, you have very limited choices. The good news is that there is a Starbucks in the casino.
Hotel Lobby: We walked around for over ten minutes trying to find the lobby to check in. The signs are not clear. The lobby is tucked away behind an escalator. There was also a long wait to check-in. Our reserved room was not ready even though it was almost 5:00 pm. They offered us a room with double beds that was ready. When we got to the room, it reeked of smoke! We lugged everything back down to the lobby and requested a change. The hotel clerk was not very pleasant. She kept saying it was a non-smoking floor (as if I were lying about the smell!).
Rooms: The rooms are nice. A small fridge is hidden in the TV console. For some reason, our console was pulled out on one side. Thus, I kept running into it. The bathroom has a very nice shower (no bathtub), but lighting is poor! The lighted vanity mirror did not work. Plus, one of the lightbulbs was burnt out. A high quality resort would not have these types of issues.
Casino: The casino is non-smoking, which is wonderful. Plenty of slot machines for everyone.

Make sure you get a discounted room rate. The hotel clerk told us that on weekends, the price was triple what we paid!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

I’m so sorry to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. We do have several restaurant choices other than our buffet and Starbucks, including our Timberline Grill steakhouse, Fireside Kitchen and Waypost Deli. We appreciate your feedback as we are continuously trying to improve. We would like to hear more about your visit; please feel free to send your contact information and details about your stay to AtYourServiceBH@ameristar.com and we will be happy to follow up with you.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was the second time we stayed at the Ameristar and once again, we were pleased with the hotel. The room was large, clean, quiet and well-appointed. The large-screen HD TV was appreciated, as were the two sinks in the large bathroom. Our room had a great view of Blackhawk (a.k.a. the city view) from the 27th floor.

The casino's buffet remains a good deal with above-average food and a competent wait staff. We wish that Ameristar's slots were as loose as other Blackhawk casinos, but I guess you can't have everything.

We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a "city view" room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for coming to visit again. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and your meal at our buffet. We look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My sisters and I have stayed at Ameriastar on many occuations with just the 3 of us to a group of 20! We always receive great service from the staff and always with a smile. The rooms are always clean and if you do need extra ammenities they are a phone call away. The views from the room are also fabulous! The hot tub on the upper terrace is great and can be visited first thing in the morning through the evening and even when it was snowing! :-) If you get to the hotel too early for the 4:00 check in you can leave your bags at the Concierge services. We have not won any Jackpots yet, but when we do we can't wait to get a message at the SPA!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms farther from the elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

I'm glad you've had many good times with your sisters at our hotel and casino. Thanks for visiting us and I hope you can treat yourself to a massage at Ara Spa soon!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The AmeriStar is an exceptional hotel in every regard. The check-in process is friendly and efficient, the rooms are spectacular. Even though this is a casino property, the hotel is separate enough from the casino that you don't feel like you're right in the middle of the energy and noise. The spa is one of the best in the west, ranking right up there with the best Vegas spa. Even though I live 45 minutes away, my wife and I like going here for a get-away. It's also an excellent hotel for business meetings with well-decorated meeting rooms and state of the art equipment. The AmeriStar is well-managed, with a great staff, good housekeeping and plenty of restaurant choices.

Room Tip: Make sure to join the casino Players Club to get special room rates and deals.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for posting your review! I'm glad you and your wife enjoy your getaways with us. We hope you can visit again soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel/casino last month while visiting my daughter in Colorado - stayed one night and it was wonderful! Hotel is beautiful - rooms are so attractive and showers are deluxe - staff are sooo friendly and so helpful. Rooms were so quiet and so clean - looked so modern and up to date -- the casino was great also and we had the buffett (free if you gamble even a nominal amount on a weekday) -- for dinner one night and lunch the next day and it was great - wonderful selection and varietiy of international and regional foods.

Will definitely stay at Ameristar the next time we are in the Denver area - and would definitely recommend it as the place to stay when in Black Hawk .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for your recommendation! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting your daughter. We look forward to seeing you next time you're in the area.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've stayed here before and it definitely influenced me to stay again. The hotel is quite nice. The rooms for the price, are phenomenal, especially if you receive discounts as part of their players club. Very spacious, always clean. Great amenities. The bathrooms, even in standard rooms, are fantastic!

I was working a job approximately 4 hours from home and with the limited lodging options available there, I decided to drive 2 hours back (past other towns with adequate lodging), just to stay at the Ameristar, as well as get a head start for the trip home the following day. The service is always friendly at the hotel, on the casino floor and at the buffet.

We didn't have time to swim or relax in the hot tub on this short stay, but they are great as well.

My co-worker and I greatly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I've only stayed on the "Mountain view" side of the hotel, which suits me fine, as it...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for coming back for another visit and for such a nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our staff's service. We hope you can visit again and enjoy our pool and hot tub next time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Black Hawk
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#3 of 14 in Winter Park
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk? Share your experiences!