“Nice hotel, not so nice staff.”

Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Beautiful rooms and pool. The outdoor hot tub is great. The desk staff was efficient if not welcoming or friendly. The spa staff was insulted when we requested spa services during our stay and were informed they were booked two weeks out. I would go back for the rooms and the pool but I am not impressed with the service.

• Stayed: June 2011
Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

I'm sorry if the treatment you received from our hotel staff was not up to par. It is typical for our guests to book spa treatments one to two weeks ahead. Sorry if we weren't able to get you in to the spa during this visit. We hope you're able to return to Black Hawk so we can show you the guest services that you deserve and so you can also try out our spa!

There are newer reviews for Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Beautiful hotel. Too bad I didn't win in the casino!!! My only complaint was that we couldn't do a late check out. I guess the place was just that crowded. If you are going to use the hot tub upstairs in the winter, be sure to bring lots of towels and a robe. Brrrr!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight for a little getaway for our anniversary and had a fabulous time! The room was clean and very spacious. I slept like a log as the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is quite large and the shower was wonderful.

We ate at the Timberline Grill, which was extremely expensive, but excellent food! Our server was very attentive and friendly.

We were offered drinks quite frequently and they came pretty quick, which was surprising as that on a Friday night, it was pretty busy. Everyone in the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. To top it off, we won a whopping $800 on the slots! We will definitely stay here every time we go up to Blackhawk!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Thanks so much for posting your review! We're so happy that you enjoyed your visit with us. Happy anniversary!

Reviewed May 10, 2012

We decided to take a last minute get away up to Black Hawk and had not stayed at the Ameristar before to decided to try it, and it was much to my surprise, quite enjoyable! The hotel rooms (deluxe King) are quite large with very nice furniture, bedding, and include the all important mini fridge:) the bathrooms inside the rooms are also quite nice with a separate shower and bathtub and double sinks. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful as well. The pool at the top of the hotel tower is fantastic and the rooftop view from up there is spectacular!

The casino is pretty nice and has quite a bit of gaming, although much of it is slot machines, but the dealers are friendly and helpful if you need it! We ate at the Timberline Grill, knowing it was a fine dining experience, and it was expensive, but the food was also very very good! We also ate at the deli, which was good, but takes a while to get your food.

All in all it was a great experience and I will definitely stay there again when we go back!

Room Tip: Deluxe King is great and has plenty of space to spread out
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Stephanie, thanks for taking the time to review our property. We're so glad that you enjoyed your visit! See you next time!

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Nice hotel and good sized casino. The bathrooms in hotel rooms are very large. The pool is huge and views of mountains from pool is awesome. Our dinner at Timberline Grill was very good food and excellent service. The Fireside restaurant is ok. The Waypost deli was very poor quality.

It is VERY difficult to get a drink on casino floor. I was playing a $5 machine and it took over an hour to get a drink - that length of wait represents a major shortage on cocktail servers. Service at the bars was excellent but you have to pay. Prices at bar are very reasonable. This is the nicest casino hotel in Colorado.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for the review! Sorry about the beverage service wait time on the casino floor. Sometimes our servers get very busy and I'm sorry if the wait time for a drink was not up to expectation. We hope to see you again so that we can show you the quality guest services that try our best to achieve!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

My husband and I live about an hour and half away from black hawk Co. We often ride up to Black Hawk for a couple hours and usual go to Isle of Capri which is awesome. We've been to Ameristar before and was not impressed. Our first visit to Ameristar was when our car's starter went out in Black Hawk and we needed a hotel.

They stated they didn't have any rooms and when we asked if they knew where one might be available they were very rude about it and claimed, "Well if you don't make a reservation what do you expect?" We didn't stay. The next time we went there my mother was in town from another state and we decided to go to Ameristar as they advertise a large buffet. We not only did not win once while playing quarter keno, we were not able to eat at the buffet as the line was too long and we were turned away.

Tonight we returned as all the other casinos were over packed and Ameristar seemed not to be (now we know why). We lost seven hundred dollars, we didn't win a dime back. We play dollar machines and table games strictly. We tried to eat at this famous buffet although the line wrapped around the timberline grill. So we decided to eat at the timberline grill. We waited over an hour for a table even though the restaurant is half empty.

When we are finally seated we had to wait an additional ten minutes for anyone to greet us. Someone dashed by and dropped off a basket of bread but didn't say anything to us. The price for a bowl of pasta (only pasta no meat) was twenty dollars. I ordered that as I was trying to be realistic. No one brought us more bread (we had one roll each).

When our meal arrived mine was covered in melted butter and undercooked vegetables. I was so disappointed as it was a twenty dollar plate of food. I didn't say anything and I didn't eat the disgusting meal I could have cooked better at home for less than 5 bucks. For that kind of money per entree I expect above the best. The manager did make a moment appearance and asked my husband how his meal was but not me.

When I the waitress came back she asked if I wanted the pasta in a box. I told her "If you want but I didn't care for it." She then asked, "Well why didn't you say anything?" My thought was, "No one came around for me to say anything until after my husband was finished with his meal." I asked her what the sauce was although I already knew it was just butter and she said, "Well it's butter that's why it's so greasy."

I checked our club player cards on our way out and we gained 200 points for seven hundred dollars. What a bust. The bottom line was it was poor service for the third time and awful food. When we got home, I had terrible stomach pain and have been having to run to the bathroom often. Don't spend your hard earned money at this place, pick a different casino. Good luck everyone.

1  Thank Chrissy C
Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Chrissy, so sorry that you were not satisfied with your recent visit. We take our guests' feedback very seriously. I've forwarded along your input to our restaurant manager. We hope that you do give us another shot so we can show you the quality guest services that we do our best to provide all guests.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

I had a pleasent stay. It was my birthday celebration, as well as my first night out sinc my son was born. I slept fantastic. The only thing is the service is not fast. I waited 15 minutes for a drink unles I went to the bar

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Black Hawk
#2 of 23 in Boulder
Eldora Lodge
Eldora Lodge
#3 of 18 in Golden

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk? Share your experiences!