“AWESOME HOTEL, but FAR from Denver”

Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I was in Denver for a convention and the hotel my company had booked for me was really bad, so they moved me to the only availalbe room in the metro area, which was at the ameristar.

The staff went above and beyond to get me into a great room and a great meal just as room service was closing.

The ONLY drawback to this hotel that I observed was that it is about 1 hour from Denver downtown.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
celeste_burks, Public Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

I agree it is an hour from downtown Denver – but what a gorgeous drive! Thank you for being our Guest and for the lovely compliment. – Celeste Burks, Regional Public Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Hotel room was very nice (big). But do not ask the cleaning lady for extra coffee, they do not speak ENGLISH. The buffet staff needs alot of training. The service was slow, but the food was above average.

1  Thank john H

I apologize you didn’t have a great experience with us. We so appreciate that you took the time to give candid feedback. Our director of hotel, Bob (720-946-4000), would love to hear more about your experience. - Celeste Burks, Regional Public Relations Manager

Reviewed July 20, 2011

We did some wine tasting up around Estes Park, and used Black Hawk for our half way point on our return. What a great choice! LOTS of casinos to check out, it's a little Vegas, but we just gambled in the hotel's casino.

Pros:It's a great casino, with huge rooms, clean, and FREE WiFi. There was a separate tub and MASSAGE shower combo.
Cons: None

Room Tip: Ameristar rooms are very roomy
1  Thank heat1968

Sounds like you had a great trip! Thank you for being our guest and for the great feedback.
– Celeste Burks, Regional Public Relations Manager

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Clean and great service. Good food. What not to like.
Thank you for a great night. 5 stars.

1  Thank crashdavis565

Thank you for being our guest. From all of us at Ameristar you are welcome for a great night! – Celeste Burks, Regional Public Relations Manager

Reviewed July 14, 2011

We traveled here for a one night stay with several members of our family staying in 2 rooms. Both rooms (one king, one two queens) were marvelous. Very clean and comfortable and furnished beautifully. The beds were great and the pillows were amazing...the only time in recent years I didn't think "I wish I'd brought my own pillow from home." There was a coffee maker, a fridge and a safe in the room and all were complimentary.

The bathrooms were gorgeous...oversized tubs, glass showers and double sinks in the vanity. The toilet was in a separate room, so it was convenient to get ready in the morning if someone needed to use the facilities while others were doing their hair, etc.

The gym is on the smaller side, but offers a variety of machines and weights, as well as gorgeous views of the city. While I didn't use the spa, I did step inside the lobby for a menu and it was beautiful. The staff there was helpful and I was disappointed that I didn't have the time to indulge in a service or two. The rooftop pool was nice (the doors weren't open to the outside, probably due to rain), and the indoor and outdoor hot tubs were great.

The lobby of the hotel is gorgeous, and contrary to a few of the reviews I've read, it wasn't situated on the opposite side of the casino from the parking garage. We parked on level 5 and had no issues making it to the hotel lobby in a matter of minutes. When we checked in, only one of our rooms was ready and the desk clerk said he would call our cell phone when the other room was ready. However, cell phone reception was a bit spotty throughout the hotel, so we never received the call or a missed call notification. We passed by the desk several times while exploring the hotel and finally stopped back by to inquire about our second room, having to wait in the outrageous lines once again. However, the clerk was friendly despite the packed lobby and gave us our keys to the second room. It was just as nice as the king room (minus one chair, due to space).

We ate dinner at the Centennial Buffet and the variety was expansive. Everything from seafood to ribs to Asian to Italian and everything in between. The dessert offerings were great! Wait staff constantly came by refilling our drinks before the previous glasses were empty.

For breakfast we ate at the Fireside Grill. The portions were a good size, not too big, not too small. Everything tasted good, although the pancakes were a little tough and the bacon was leaning toward burnt. The coffee was not impressive, but was tolerable (the same as in the room).

Overall, the hotel was amazing for the price. I'd almost drive here to stay the night if I had meetings in Denver and it would still be cheaper including gas. The restaurants are good. Didn't win while gambling, but that's why it's gambling.

Have already recommended the hotel to several friends and look forward to returning and staying again, myself!

Room Tip: All of the rooms, even standard rooms, are nice!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank JOnAPlane

We really appreciate the feedback and the recommendation! I’m sorry that your pancakes were tough and that your bacon was burnt. Our Executive Chef Eddie Allen and the room chef appreciated the feedback and they apologize too. We’ll take a look at the coffee as well. I’m so happy you had a great experience overall. Thanks for being our guest! – Celeste Burks, Regional Public Relations Manager

Reviewed July 14, 2011

We can not say enough good things about the Ameristar in Blackhawk. The rooms are some of the nicest we have stayed in. Huge rooms, wonderful bath area with a soaking tub and show big enough for 2. Very well taken care of and above what we expected.
We used the roof top pool and hot tub and it is well worth leaving the casino for. Ate at the buffet and it was good. Food selection was large and staff was friendly and attentive.
We would reccomend this hotel to travlers as a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lotsofslots

Thank you for being our guest and for recommending us! I’m thrilled you had such a great time while visiting us. – Celeste Burks, Regional Public Relations Manager

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Hotel was subpar, had to ask for things like robes and hair dryer, these are always in the rooms of lesser hotels.

The Casino has the rudest people in town, as if they came from New York. I asked for a bottle of beer while playing the slots, never got it. I then asked the bartender to get a wait staff person to stop over where we were playing, never came. This is not acceptable, and I will not go back to that hotel and casino. In fact, I will put the curse on them, and they will get their comeuppance.
Also, the spa and pool were filthy, and the food was not so tasty.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#3 of 14 in Winter Park
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk? Share your experiences!