“Great Location; Hotel Itself a Little Unpolished”

The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I was really looking forward to our couples getaway visit to the Osprey. My expectations might have been misplaced. Based on the website, and the high prices, I was expecting a contemporary, chic boutique mountain hotel. Instead, it seemed more like a small, casual family-friendly lodge---not a bad thing, but maybe not what I had been expecting or looking for on this visit.

The location is great----directly outside the Strawberry Park express lift. We had a large room, but the architecture/design just didn't work for me----sort of a mish-mash of contemporary and traditional mountain lodge. Our room didn't heat up adequately, so the staff brought up two unattractive space heaters for our room (no discount given for the inconvenience).

The lobby was comfortable---a casual hang-out spot for lots of families playing games, chatting, etc. There was a large fireplace but it wasn't working during our visit. I asked a young staff member why there was no fire in the fireplace and they explained that they were waiting for something that was on order for the fireplace to work.

We were on the top floor, and there was only one elevator, which wasn't working for much of our visit.

The young staff was friendly, but the hotel just didn't run as smoothly as it should for a lodging at this price level.

Still, if you're looking for a small friendly spot, and don't mind paying top-dollar primarily for location, this might fit the bill.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank iowaguy
Cgersbach, General Manager at The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at The Osprey Hotel and I'm glad you liked the location. Clearly your overall stay was not what you were expecting and for that I apologize.

While we are unable to change the events of your stay, I am hopeful that you will allow us the opportunity to renew your faith in us and revisit The Osprey Hotel. I would personally like to invite you to return as our guest for a complimentary one night visit at The Osprey Hotel. Please contact my office directly so that I may personally oversee your reservation.

Sincerely

Chris Gersbach
The Osprey, A RockResort

P: 970-754-7390
F: 970-754-7340
Front Desk: 970-754-7400

Reviewed June 1, 2011

Stayed here in March for 6 nights with our 3 kids, aged 10, 8 and 4. We had 2 connecting rooms - a king connecting to a superiod queen room (2 queens). We put a rollaway in the king room for our little guy, while the girls each had a queen bed. My sister in law visited for a few days at which point she shared one of the queens with one of my daughters. We had plenty of space - the rooms are spacious, and even with 6 of us it never felt crowded.
We have previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Bachelor Gulch and while that's a fancier hotel the Osprey's location wins hands down. The Ritz is over in Bachelor Gulch which is quite a distance from the ski school (either take the shuttle bus or be prepared to ski for a while to get there, which is fine for adults and older kids but there's some traversing which is hard for a younger skier). To get to ski school from the Osprey, come out the back door where the ski valet will have put your skis, corss the bridge (snow-covered) to the main part of the mountain, then traverse over to ski school. Very easy, takes less than 5 minutes, and even a beginner skiier will havae no problems at all. At the end of the day, you can pick kids up from ski school and be back in the hotel in minutes. The central location is perfect for Beaver Creek - it's right by the Stawberry Express lift which is great for heading over to Larkspur or Bachelor Gulch. It's also just over a bridge from the main Centennial lift which takes you to the main part of the mountain. The location cannot be beaten, in my opinion.
The rooms were spacious and clean, with comfortable beds. The pool and hot tub were nice after a long day's skiing, and with this being a small resort it was never very crowded outside. The ski valet was great, and again a benefit of being in a smaller resort is that the ski valet is never busy and you never have to wait more than a couple of minutes.
Breakfast was quick and relatively inexpensive, we had lunch at the hotel one day and also had dinner there - not the widest menu in the world but good enough. Don't stay here if you want a gourmet in-house restaurant.
The staff were very friendly, without exception. We never had a single complaint, and plan on returning again in the near future. I'd give it 6 stars if could.

Room Tip: Talk to a person, don't book online.
4  Thank wjr06831
Reviewed April 4, 2011

First visit to Beaver Creek and first stay at a Rock Resort...definitely won't be my last.

Great boutique style and feel to this little gem. Service is outstanding. Ski Valet is great. Location adjacent to Strawberry lift and short walk across connecting bridge to BC Village and main Centennial lift cannot be beat. This is the PERFECT place to stay for a ski vacation in Beaver Creek.

My first trip in 20 years to a bona-fide ski resort with a teenage snowboarder in tow and I couldn't be happier. Staff is beyond friendly and greeted us warmly every time we set foot in the front door. At checkout the bellman had our car packed, warmed up and waiting for us before we made it to the lobby--amazing.

Amenities are downsized compared to the mega-chains, but are still great and we made full use of the sauna, hot tub, pool, bar, tapas style restaurant, ski-valet and the endless supply of free filtered water (very clean and tasty) available at the bar and replenished constantly in our rooms .

I was genuinely happy with every minute spent at this hotel. Family friendly and unpretentious, rooms are clean and quiet. Proximity to village and slopes cannot be beat.

This is THE "home away from home" destination for a ski vacation at BC.

Room Tip: book early
1  Thank blueswriter
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Great find, ski lift 10 steps from hotel. Entire staff makes you feel very special.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The Osprey is a great place to stay In Beaver Creek. I use TripAdvisor all the time and have never had the inclination to write a review until now. I would describe the Osprey as a European type hotel - a cozy warm lobby, great service and a fabulous location. If you want to get away from the big chain hotel (hyatt, westin) this is your place. My husband and I with our two children (8 and 12) all stayed in one room which we almost never do but it worked out just fine. The room is comfortable with two queen beds and a table and chairs. The reason why this worked is that the lobby felt like our living room. My 8 year old would hang out down there and play Wii. The staff were so great to him. Our frinds came over from Vail to hang out for the night and the staff treated them like they were guests at the hotel. Many, many of the people who work at Beaver Creek have an attitude - not true at the Osprey.

Finally, the ski valet is AWESOME. Ski in and out in the true sense of the word. The kids and I went to ski school every day and it is about a five minute ski down to the school (strawberry lift is out your back door). My only criticism is that I wish breakfast was a bit cheaper. Since we got a great rate thru a discount site (we booked very last minute) I did not expect breakfast to be included. If I was paying 400 a night I would want a free breakfast. If you love a cozy true ski hotel this is your place, We LOVED it!

2  Thank ColumbusCohn
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I was looking for a true ski in/ski out hotel in Vail or Beaver Creek. I found that and much more at the Osprey.

The location in Beaver Creek is perfect. It is across the street from the Beaver Creek village area, and right at the base of the Strawberry Park lift. You can also ski to the door from the base area of Beaver Creek via the ski bridge. I liked the small hotel feel of the Osprey as well as the service. The ski valet stores all your equipment and will get it all together the next morning. The hotel food was VERY good; great chef making solid breakfasts and unique and tasty dinners. The hot tube and pool are also a step out the door. While the car was available in the garage, we never had to use it as the village and the Osprey had everything, including great attention and service.

2  Thank Highpoints
Reviewed March 8, 2011

My family of 4 (2 kids aged 7 & 10), met my sister and her husband here for a 5 night stay over February vacation. As mentioned in previous posts, the location is unbelievable-Ski In-Ski Out and the town is across the bridge thus no car is needed. It is a cozy boutique hotel that caters to families. Children are found in the lounge at all hours playing the Wii (including my brother-in-law).

The most amazing surprise was the quality of the food. The small tapas restaurant is adjacent to the lounge and we frequently ate our meals in the lounge next to the fire. After sampling some of the restaurants in town (The Chop House, Toscanini and Beano's Cabin), we opted to return here for our last 2 days (as in 6 meals) to eat. The wait staff were accommodating and friendly.

My only negative comments are that the rooms are small and that is after our Amex "upgrade". I can't imagine the standard rooms. The walls are on the thinner side and we could hear noises from other rooms. The mattresses and pillows however, are great.

I would definately return to this hotel again and would recommend it for families.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Kiva by Beaver Creek Mountain Lodging
Tivoli Lodge
Tivoli Lodge
#3 of 30 in Vail

Been to The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort? Share your experiences!