“Pines is the pick”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
denver
“Pines is the pick”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We just spent the first weekend of January at the Pines Lodge in BC. We got a great rate through the RockResorts 96 hour sale. There were no hidden resort or parking fees so the only 'add on' to our bill was our steep tab from dining at the Grouse Mountain Grill. The food was very good but the restaurant dominates the first floor and gives it a cluttered feel because of the abundance of tables. The tiny bar and piano man are nice touches but that area feels like an extension of the dining room and would benefit from being transformed into a larger lounge where they could still serve up the restaurant's fine food but provide an area where guests not seeking a formal dining experience could share plates and conversation. The pool and hot tub were nice. The beds were very comfortable and the layout of the room was amazingly efficient and well designed for ski gear. Getting to the slopes was via shuttle running every 15 minutes or a short skiing hike (and good warm up) to Strawberry lift. You can ski back to the hotel at the end of the day via the skiway. We would definitely recommend the Pines and would stay again for its exceptionally friendly and helpful staff and good location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We just returned from what was one our most disappointing stays ever. The front desk was rude and unaccomodating. The hotel cut corners in every way possible. The only dining choices in the hotel were and $18 breakfast buffet, a very limited lunch with no vegetarian options and a ridiculously over-priced dinner menu. There was "complimentary" coffee from 7am-10am that ran out almost immediately. However, nothing was complimentary here, as all was covered by the conspicuous $30 per night "resort fee" which is what covers all "complimentary" services. The hotel had trucks loudly scraping and plowing the 2" of snow we got - at 5 in the morning. I wouldn't return to the Pines if you paid me, seriously - not if you paid me. That place was horrible. If you like snotty, unaccomodating service, and over-paying for everything in sight, you might enjoy the Pines Lodge. Incidentally, we have traveled and stayed all over the world from 5 to 1 star accomodations, so we do have a great frame of reference.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ritaquackquack
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed January 8, 2011

The best part about our stay at The Pines Lodge was Hallie Schiff, the concierge. This woman was amazing ... always cheerful despite our numerous requests in advance and the multitude of changes that we requested once we were at The Pines. She had the right answer for every question that we asked. Quite honestly, The Pines is a four star resort with a six star concierge! While Beaver Creek is an amazing, family-friendly resort, The Pines and our room looked a tad tired. I also couldn't understand why the hot tub was so far away from the door to the hotel ... too far to walk in cold weather!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Spok
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I have not even stayed there and learned I already got screwed by the booking agent. I specfically asked and they specifically answered that the $30.00 fee was included in what was quoted. guess what, it is not. Note to other travelers; add $30.00 per day to what ever rate you are being quoted.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bjuspokane
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed December 21, 2010

My family and I recently stayed at this hotel (12/19-12/21). I was not completely impressed to say the least. The hotel's location was excellent and I cannot talk more highly about the location enough. It was within walking distance (approx. 5 minutes or so) away from the Beaver Creek Village area where the ski lifts and slopes and shops and restaurants are located. You can purchase the ski lift tickets at the front desk, rent your ski equipment on site and eat at the restaurant in the lobby area. I rated this hotel three stars because I found the room to be just average and could probably use an upgrade. The bathroom was elegant and the room gave off a roomy, lodgy feel to it, but for the price, I have seen much better and was expecting better. If you pay for a room here at full price then you are not only computer savvy in finding a bargain rate, but you will be disappointed. I understand that the price can be as high as $1,975/night during peak season and with that price (I understand you are paying for the location), you should have the lift tickets at least included. On the third floor, they offer free Starbuck's coffee until 10am daily and the water in the room from the Rocks Resort tastes pretty much like Arrowhead water. Our room overlooked the roof of the valet and we heard cars coming and going with voices non stop because of our location. The room was small and little room to walk around. I was disappointed again with the view we received, because from my experience, if a hotel is bad, then I at least look forward to the view and in this case, it was horrid. Speaking of the valet, I was told by the front desk and read in the hotel guidebook that the valet charge was included in the hotel price, I prepaid for our room and was still charged (under a ruse obviously) $20/day for valet. On another note, I was also charged $2 for a national park donation fee. I always though donations were voluntary and not mandatory as this hotel puts it on your check out bill. I pick and choose what organizations I donate to for the sole reason that it means something to me, but this hotel thinks otherwise. Lastly, room service is expensive, internet is slow and the restaurant is also expensive (you do get what you pay for though, so it all depends on what you are into or looking for). All in all though, I found this hotel to be nice and I would not recommend to a friend, because I saw so many other hotels on the property that seemed nice, if not nicer and probably cheaper than this hotel. I would not stay here just for the simple fact that I don't stay in the same place twice, no matter how much I like it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Allinclusiveguy1
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I walked into The Pines Lodge and beginning with the helpful valet and supportive check-in I knew my experience was going to be a good one. I had just travelled cross country in a small vehicle dropping my cousin in Beaver Creek for the season and was pointed in the direction of The Pines Lodge. I just wanted a comfortable bed and a place to shower and instead got a whole lot more.
Not only was the room was spacious and incredibly comfortable, but it was warm and inviting. I dined at the most delicious restaurant, Grouse Mountain Grill where the chef (Chef Dave) prepared some of the best food I have ever eaten. Then he came out and introduced himself when he heard I was from NY. (He is also from NY.) I appreciated the recognition and the personal treatment not to mention, the food was exquisite with a focus on local ingredients, which I love. The owner, Nancy was so sweet and so welcoming after my incredibly long journey cross country.
I was hoping for a 'a place to lay my head' but instead got an amazing night sleep in luxury and woke to beautiful view where I read my book on the couch quietly in my room. It was perfection. And the morning staff were equally as helpful pointing me in the direction of the village and helping me with my luggage. Everyone was wonderful and made my short stay in Beaver Creek, unforgettable!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Coronado, California
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We booked this hotel through Jetsetter so we got a lovely room for a great rate. The staff at the front door and desk were welcoming and personable. The room was cold (it snowed on us while driving there) and it took a serviceman to come and warm up the room finally. Once warm we were hungry and the dinner was delicious. My daughter and her boyfriend went into the village via shuttle and had dinner.

Okay, now for the bugs. The brand new menu advertised fruit and muffins on the 3rd floor but, were not available. We had to purchase them downstairs in the dining room. My dinner has now been charged four times and credited only twice on my card. I was charged $1 for the National Forest Foundation without asking me. I was told they would credit it but, they did not. It's not the amount, I would gladly have donated if asked first and still have not been credited, oh well! I called the hotel while on the road and now at home to try and clear up the charging mystery only to be told by Chris, the manager, it was not them but the bank (except that I have a printed receipt that shows most of the mistakes in black and white). My bank says that it's not them but the hotel... You get the picture.

Beaver Creek is BEAUTIFUL! We would love to go back. My bill is still not correct with just two dining room bills to deal with (the hotel was paid in full on Jetsetter). I hope The Pines will get it right eventually it spoils the beauty of the stay when you have to worry about incorrect charges no matter how nice the staff is.

We stayed during the off season so most everything was still closed. The hike was incredible and no one was about (I'm sure that will change in a month). With so few people the problems like no muffins or fruit and charge mistakes shouldn't be happening. They were very nice so I'm sure they'll work out the bugs before ski season.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
kayakvail, General Manager at The Pines Lodge, A RockResort, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
We always strive for warm welcomes, gourmet meals and spectacular views at The Pines Lodge, so I am pleased to see that you were able to experience all of these during your recent stay with us. I wanted to address some concerns you brought up in your evaluation of our property and let you know that your bill has been reviewed and all problems have been addressed on our end. If you still feel that something is incorrect, please do not hesitate to contact Chris again at cgersbach@vailresorts.com or myself at ronn@vailresorts.com. We are never content until our guests are satisfied. The menus provided in the guestroom compendiums do mention that because the fall season is typically one of our slower times we offer complimentary fruit and muffins during the week, but to provide our guest with the best service we can, we offer wider selections on the busier weekend mornings and there is a cost associated with these items.

We take all guest feedback very seriously and hope that you will consider us for your next stay in Beaver Creek. Please contact me directly for any future bookings and the best rates available.

Ron Neville
#5 of 9 in Avon
Tivoli Lodge
Tivoli Lodge
#3 of 30 in Vail

Been to The Pines Lodge, A RockResort? Share your experiences!