“Luxury and Convenience at the base of Beaver Creek”

The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Reviewed February 23, 2008

From my first interaction with the valet and front desk to the moment I left the property, my experience was wonderful. Beautifully appointed near the base of Beaver Creek this property offered very comfortable, yet upscale accomodations that truly complemented my Beaver Creek experience. New beds are extremely comfortable and rooms are clean with great amenities such as ipod play stations, flatscreen tvs, and digital photo clock radios where I could view my pictures from the day. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Highly recommend this property.

Stayed: February 2008

Reviewed February 12, 2008

We so enjoyed our weekend getaway to The Pines Lodge. The ski-in ski-out trails provide easy access to Beaver Creek mountain with some of the best skiing. Love the Grouse Mountain Grill for dinner and breakfast as well. The food is fabulous. We were with another couple and spent some relaxing time together in the lobby in front of the fireplace. A perfect ski getaway!

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank Lorty
Reviewed January 31, 2008

Having stayed at the Sonnenalp in Vail several times we decided to give Beaver Creek a try. The Pines was a step down from that, but I would stay there again anyway. The hotel location in NOT walking distance (at least in winter) to the village, but a quick and free shuttle ride is always available. Rooms were decent sized and clean. Food at the in house restaurant was very good. Staff was friendly. The views are beautiful. The only complaint was our room was not ready at 3pm....disappointing after a long travel day.

• Stayed: January 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 20, 2007

The view of the mountains from our Pines room was gorgeous but the rooms themselves need air conditioning. The room (which faced the east) was so steamy hot that we couldn't sleep. Even with the french doors open, and the fans going full blast, the temp in the room was at least 80 at night and higher in the day when the sun was shining. The beds were rock hard but the maid brought a foam mattress cover to make them more comfortable. The rooms are attractive but there is no balcony. On a positive note, the food in the Grouse Mountain Grill was fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2007

Great rate tip from Travelzoo for two nights in late May 2007. Nice room; front desk and bell staff made all visitors comfortable. Room very upscale, but have to admit the bed is too firm. Hate to complain about this place. There is a Zagat rated restaurant onsite but I did not visit it because there are three taxes added to everything ordered that together amount to 30%. They do give you two bottles of water and granola bars, so that was good enough for most of my visit. I did walk down to village a few times and did purchase a meal to go from Coyote Cafe on my last night. Chicken Fajita dinner was bland but that was the right thing for my stomach after having experienced food poisoning at Mesa Verde earlier in the trip. There was a small fitness room available as their regular one is undergoing updates during offseason. It was perfect for me as there was never anyone in there when I visited it. I had the pool to myself two days looking up at the mountain and sky views to the music of the chattering magpies. This was heavenly for me. A great part of my vacation. I gladly paid the $18 per night to leave the car parked in the garage after driving many miles through Colorado and Utah. The young men working at the front desk are genuine and friendly. There is computer available in lobby. The bathroom is designed beautifully with over-sized tub for soaking. Starbucks coffee for in-room brewing. The area is gorgeous, but I felt like a princess locked in the palace. Apparently there is a shuttle I heard other people asking for to get down to the village for dinners but I never did see it. My timing was a bit off at the end of a holiday weekend and there for Memorial Day when stores were closed. Wish fervently that the front desk would have advised me there was a Blues and Bar-B-Que fest going on in the village when I arrived on Sunday as I really would have liked to get in on that. Oh well. Will have to try this place again and would recommend it to anyone. You might wonder if young people would have fun here - I did not see anyone stopping a group of three young couples taking a cooler to the pool/hot tub area and cracking open their beers.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ChiWind
Reviewed April 8, 2007

We had a perfect 3 day and night ski vacation at Beaver Creek and The Pines Lodge. This was our second stay at a Rock Resort; the first having been the Lodge at Vail. At Rock Resorts, they do a lot of little things that make for a very enjoyable stay. Valet parking by very friendly and helpful staff, a concierge who handled dinner reservations exactly as requested, a small ski shop that stored our skis at the end of each day, a small but perfectly charming pool and hot tub with beautiful views, an exellent on-site restaurant for breakfast every morning with an assortment of daily newspapers, very efficient turndown service every night before bed, boot warmers in the room to dry your skiboots at the end of the day and even a small humidifier in the room to use at night. We stayed in a beautiful King Deluxe room, which was perfectly suited for a ski lodge, with pine finishings, french doors to a step-out balcony and a beautiful view of the mountains. The room was quite large, with lots of built-in storage and a very comfortable kingsize bed. Our only complaint. The doors between the rooms are far too thin, making noise between the rooms a definite annoyance.
The charm and appeal of The Pines Lodge is its ability to offer a full service and personable stay without the size and anonymity of most larger hotels. We would highly recommend this hotel for anyone seeking the perfect ski holiday.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank prose01
Reviewed March 13, 2007

This is our second time staying at The Pines. I have no idea how Conde Nast and others have rated this a luxury resort. The staff is in fact pleasant except in the overrated dining room. We had stayed 3 nights at the Park Hyatt which is also overpriced although somewhat worth the money but could not extend our stay for a fourth night. Therefore we were forced to move to the Pines for our final evening in Beaver Creek.
I had made reservations at the restaurant where they insisted on a credit card to hold the reservation. I mentioned we would be staying at the Hotel and they could care less; how tacky. When making the dinner reservation I told them we did not want to sit in the bar but in the main dining room. You guessed it, we were led directly to the bar. When I complained they said that was all they could do, our desserts were comped but I would have rather sat in the dining room.
The rooms are adequate in size but the use of cheap pine doors led to unbelievable noise from the adjoining rooms. It was as if we were all together, 3 families, in one room. Normal conversations were heard through the doors and walls. The amenities were standard at best and a 5 foot tall room fan sat in the corner of the room which is hardly needed in March.
With room rates within $100 - $200 of the Hyatt and Ritz there is absolutely no reason to stay at this tired facility.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family